Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day. | Page 62 | Vital Football

Covid, Phase II. Commonsense is the order of the day.

My family and I are on our second round of self-isolation in a row. We have gone against guidelines because a) we don't think they make logical sense and b) we don't want to the cause of further spread.

My son's entire year group were told they need to self-isolate as there was a big risk they had all come into contact with a positive case. Guidelines say to isolate my son, but the rest of us can go about our days as normal. Instead, we pulled my daughter from her school and my work allowed me to work from home. Last Friday was the end of the isolation so both my kids went back into school. I went to get tested through my work so I had an all-clear for Monday. On Saturday we get the email that my daughters entire year group were at risk as they had come into contact with a positive case. So, we do the same again.

Thank god for my wife, who was made redundant back in June, as she has been excellent at keeping the kids on top of school work and keeping everything else going.

This is why I have been somewhat quiet on the forum for the last few weeks. I hope everyone else is doing ok. The new infections numbers still feel uncomfortably high to me and around Portsmouth it hasn't felt like a lockdown this time. When walking the dog the place is still busy with people.

I think you've used your commonsense and both you and your wife should be applauded for it.

I hope your wife finds work when it suits her to do so; one positive you might and I did say might take from all this, is how life changes for the children (and for you) when one of you is home to take charge of kids/schools/food/life in general,

Stay strong, stay smart and soon this will be over and the rebuild can begin in earnest - but of course, I know it's a hill to climb and for some (as I talk to them) they think and feel that it's a mountain. But in the not too distant future a new level of normality will return and the second half of next year will be amazing!

May be a thread needed for this??:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-confirm-plans-for-return-of-fans-in-december

The match on December 6, live on Sky Sports, will be the first to be played in front of spectators at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium since the FA Cup fifth-round tie against Norwich on March 4.

The club said they will run a ballot of season ticket holders and executive members in order to allocate the tickets.

Spurs fans will have to confirm they are not travelling to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium from a restricted area.

Sky Sports News chief reporter Bryan Swanson explains how the tier system will work with regards to the return of fans to football stadiums

The club will also introduce timed entry to avoid congestion at the turnstiles as part of their coronavirus protocols for fans to observe at matches.

With this thread title 'Commonsenseis theorderof the day' it would seem admirably sensible to me for the government to stand up and stop people having this 'do i don't I ' discussion about celebrating christmas with a few of the family. IMO he should tighten up and postpone xmas until say March, assuming vaccine schedule gets rolling successfully after new year. This easing for 4/5 days to allow xmas is a nonsense which will push the r rate and deaths up again and post new year peaks will happen .....come on Boris take this dilemna away from the people...and protect lives...is xmas really that important this year?

With this thread title 'Commonsenseis theorderof the day' it would seem admirably sensible to me for the government to stand up and stop people having this 'do i don't I ' discussion about celebrating christmas with a few of the family. IMO he should tighten up and postpone xmas until say March, assuming vaccine schedule gets rolling successfully after new year. This easing for 4/5 days to allow xmas is a nonsense which will push the r rate and deaths up again and post new year peaks will happen .....come on Boris take this dilemna away from the people...and protect lives...is xmas really that important this year?

The problem is greavsie, is that is what he wants, it is also what the scientists want but his northern MP's (where the rates are generally the highest) are all up in arms about the tiers they've been put into and are threatening to vote against the government which will leave Boris relying on Labour and then of course if that happens they'll call a no-confidence vote (which of course they would lose) which in turn would damage his premership even more.

Did you see the morons protesting against lockdown again at the weekend.

It's a good job I'm not in charge or they'd all be facing involuntary manslaughter charges and 5 years in prison, the trouble with democracy is it makes us soft and unable to deal properly with those who think having liberty trumps all public interest.

I'd maximun fine everyone who got arrested and chuck away the key if they don't pay up immeadiately.

Last edited:
The problem is greavsie, is that is what he wants, it is also what the scientists want but his northern MP's (where the rates are generally the highest) are all up in arms about the tiers they've been put into and are threatening to vote against the government which will leave Boris relying on Labour and then of course if that happens they'll call a no-confidence vote (which of course they would loss) which in turn would damage his premership even more.

Did you see the mormons protesting against lockdown again at the weekend.

It's a good job I'm not in charge or they'd all be facing involuntary manslaughter charges and 5 years in prison, the trouble with democracy is it makes us soft and unable to deal properly with those who think having liberty trumps all public interest.

I'd maximun fine everyone who got arrested and chuck away the key if they don't pay up immeadiately.
As you say EX...it’s a good job you aren’t in charge😗😗

Be better if I was.
Only for you 😈

Understand your frustrations but for all it’s shortcomings, democracy is not about the freedom to do only what one individual, or group of individuals, determine is allowable, except to the extent that criminal behaviour is defined.

Like you, my mate and I have often said what we need is a military coup but modified by adding, as long as we are in charge....😷😀

Only for you 😈

Understand your frustrations but for all it’s shortcomings, democracy is not about the freedom to do only what one individual, or group of individuals, determine is allowable, except to the extent that criminal behaviour is defined.

Like you, my mate and I have often said what we need is a military coup but modified by adding, as long as we are in charge....😷😀

I'll defend democracy and freedom until the death, I just want twats that break the law to feel the full force of it when it puts others at risk.

I'd happily make an example of all those who broke the law at the weekend and keeping doing it until all the twats are locked up in one place, where they can be denied all medical attention.

I'll defend democracy and freedom until the death, I just want twats that break the law to feel the full force of it when it puts others at risk.

I'd happily make an example of all those who broke the law at the weekend and keeping doing it until all the twats are locked up in one place, where they can be denied all medical attention.
Well, it’s an interesting about the law angle.....as an example my golf course will be in Tier2 but we are next to several Tier 3 areas....a question was asked of the club whether members living in a Tier 3 area would be allowed to travel to play on our course in Tier 2....the advice from Golf England was clear....people in Tier 3 areas should not travel outside their area full stop but as we have a number of members who live in Tier 3 areas, so far the club have fudged the issue by using the government’s get out clause of essential travel saying the Tier recommendations are only guidelines at present as they have not been approved by parliament....I think “Essential travel” will need to be defined (if it hasn’t been already) and of course if approved today they will become law? Are there any prescribed penalties for breaking the rules?

In 5he case of our club, I think they need the clarity in order to say to those members affected “It’s not us, it’s the rules”.

I heard something about the Isle of Man putting people in jail for a month if they break any rules. Not easy to implement that sort of action in England, obviously, but what a statement that is from their authorities!

All these protesters are mental cases as far as I'm concerned. Simpletons obsessed with an idea of free speech and freedom that only benefits themselves.

I am no supporter of this government in any way, but I don't envy the challenges of keeping everything in-check without the public feeling like they are suddenly living in a police state. Not easy.

Watching Gove waffling on the issue of whether there should be a vaccination registration system it should be self-evident that it is required just to keep track of how the vaccines are distributed and would be an excellent way of encouraging take-up if there were downsides to not doing so...for example booking travel, entry to places etc.

Not rocket science here guys Why not for all who have a passport just stamp the exisitng passports, so when people travel authorities will know they have had the vaccine if they travel outside the UK. Also would ease entry into other countries surely!:please:

Watching Gove waffling on the issue of whether there should be a vaccination registration system it should be self-evident that it is required just to keep track of how the vaccines are distributed and would be an excellent way of encouraging take-up if there were downsides to not doing so...for example booking travel, entry to places etc.

Again the fear is that the government will not be supported by their own MP's.

If you have any vaccine it should be in your medical records; it's that simple; these days, if necessary you can download your full medical history - you can also do it for any period, so that could be the simple way that your NHS GP app (which I have) records a vaccination.

And I too believe if you can show you've had it then there should be certain activities you can't partake in: i.e. crowd events, indoor pubs, restaurants etc etc

Again the fear is that the government will not be supported by their own MP's.

If you have any vaccine it should be in your medical records; it's that simple; these days, if necessary you can download your full medical history - you can also do it for any period, so that could be the simple way that your NHS GP app (which I have) records a vaccination.

And I too believe if you can show you've had it then there should be certain activities you can't partake in: i.e. crowd events, indoor pubs, restaurants etc etc

Border control would need access to the vaccination medical records ...so that is maybe possible for UK residents but they can't check foreign visitors, thats why the world at least insisting it is recorded in peoples passports will mean world wide controls are in place for all travellers. You dont have it recorded you dont get in!

SARS-CoV-2 mutations do not appear to increase transmissibility

• van Dorp L, et al.
  • Nat Commun
  • 25 Nov 2020

• curated by Dawn O'Shea
  • UK Medical News
  • 27 Nov 2020

None of the mutations currently documented in the SARS-CoV-2 virus appear to increase its transmissibility in humans, according to a study led by University College London (UCL) researchers.

The research analysed a global dataset of virus genomes from 46,723 people with COVID-19, collected up until the end of July 2020, and identified 12,706 mutations, of which 398 occurred repeatedly and independently. Of those, the researchers focused on 185 mutations that occurred at least three times independently during the course of the pandemic.

There was no evidence that any of the common mutations increased the virus's transmissibility. Most of the common mutations were neutral for the virus, including the D614G mutation in the spike protein, which was suspected of increasing transmissibility.

Most of the common mutations appeared to have been induced by the human immune system rather than the virus adapting to its novel human host. This is in contrast with SARS-CoV-2 jumping from humans into farmed minks.

Lead author, Professor Francois Balloux from UCL Genetics Institute, explained: "We may well have missed this period of early adaptation of the virus in humans. We previously estimated SARS-CoV-2 jumped into humans in October or November 2019, but the first genomes we have date to the very end of December. By that time, viral mutations crucial for the transmissibility in humans may have emerged and become fixed, precluding us from studying them."

The researchers caution that the introduction of vaccines is likely to exert new pressures on the virus to escape recognition by the immune system, potentially leading to the emergence of vaccine-escape mutants.

Professor Balloux concluded: "The news on the vaccine front looks great. The virus may well acquire vaccine-escape mutations in the future, but we're confident we'll be able to flag them up promptly, which would allow updating the vaccines in time if required."

Seems the Welsh have a bit more commonsense than the English..

COVID-19: Most Welsh people are optimistic about vaccination

• Public Health Wales
  • 27 Nov 2020

• curated by Pavankumar Kamat
  • UK Medical News
  • 30 Nov 2020

Public Health Wales (PHW) has been conducting regular assessments since April 2020 to highlight the effect of COVID-19 on the physical, mental and social well-being of Welsh people and how they are coping with the pandemic. The national engagement survey is a part of a series of measures introduced by PHW to support public health and well-being.

Key findings for 16-22 November 2020 are as follows:

• Sixty-nine per cent of respondents believed that a vaccine that protects most people from COVID-19 would be available in six months' time; an increase from 38 per cent in the last survey week.
  • Seventy per cent of respondents said they were willing to be vaccinated against COVID-19 if a vaccine became available.
  • Among those with children in the household, 60 per cent said they would want their children to receive vaccination.
  • Eighty-three per cent of respondents had the opinion that NHS staff should be the first to be vaccinated. The next most commonly selected groups for prioritisation were adults with underlying health conditions and elderly individuals.
  • Sixty-six per cent of respondents said lockdown and other restrictions had worsened their quality of life during the last six months.
  • Seventy-five per cent of respondents reported being more worried about getting infected with COVID-19 than about having further restrictions imposed on them.
  • Sixty per cent of respondents reported being concerned about the effect of COVID-19 restrictions on their mental health and well-being in the coming months.

Results of latest public engagement survey from Public Health Wales. Public Health Wales. 27 November 2020.

Greavsie you asked "is Xmas really that important this year?", for me my answer is "is Xmas that important any more", sorry for the Scrooge/Xmas Carol attitude.

Agree with you 100% Ex, but Democracy is ruled today by the minorities and lefties, sorry about that, no I am not the minorities are twats.

Baffling that so many MPs voted against the government when you consider that stricter restrictions should have been in place several months ago but weren't which led to this mess.

Basically ZERO Covid cases in Australia right now and has been for many weeks..

ZERO community transmitted cases and only a handful of returning overseas passengers who are in mandatory hotel isolation.

I just don't know why the UK fails to look at the Australian model of closing international borders.

Our states have also opened their borders to each other for the first time in 300 days meaning everyone can freely commute throughout Australia..apart from Adelaide.

Take care wherever you are and enjoy this 20/21 season of football.

Look after each other and stay safe.

In the words of Clint Eastwood "Don't let the old man in".