Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Page 25 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

Agreed it's unfair to judge a player on a few appearances, but what we've seen of Lewis so far is highly promising - no nonsense defensively, creative going forward - think of that ball in which led to Bruno's volley v Everton. Right from that first match at Huddersfield, you could see that he was a cut above any of the shadow defence played at Blackburn the year before, for example.

No one (unless mildy delusional) would say Lewis is up there with Eardley and Toffolo; most would say from the evidence so far is the potential is there. The forthcoming season will be the test of that, he should get an extended run which will reveal if he is capable of achieving the consistency to go with that promise, then we can say if he's a good 'un - or not. I'm hopeful.

The only time I have seen him was against Everton and they pressured him as the weak link in our defence, but he came through it really well and was a stand out performer. Think he could do well given time, will be his big chance this season.

The only time I have seen him was against Everton and they pressured him as the weak link in our defence, but he came through it really well and was a stand out performer. Think he could do well given time, will be his big chance this season.

I was thinking the same, the only time i've seen him was against Everton and he struggled in the first half defensively but got better. It's not an ideal game to junge him on by any mean but he seems, like Toffolo, to be better going forward than defending.

I remember Lewis in the pre season game v Sheff Wed. Apart from one error of judgement he looked comfortable on the ball, showed awareness and didnt look out of place. Yes that was friendly but given the chance I think he has a good base on which MA can develop.

I think Lewis is at the stage where we have to back Appleton’s judgement. If he goes to sign a new starting RB then great, if he starts Lewis on 12th September let’s look forward to what he’ll provide and how he’s developed.

Whilst I respect everyone’s opinion on Lewis, I’m yet to be convinced.

Eardley and Toffolo are arguably the best full backs we’ve had in the nigh on 30 years I’ve been going, to predict Lewis has any chance of emulating that based on 4/5 appearances seems a little far fetched.

I’m all for untapped potential, but I’m also conscious of unseen potential. Any player is phenomenal and the next best thing until they’ve played a decent chunk of games!
Sometimes 4/5 games is enough. I'd made up my mind on JMD in about that time, despite the euphoria of his signing by some on here. No amount of "body art" can disguise a steaming pile of horse shit.

I really liked the look of Lewis, to be honest I personally would of started him instead of Eardley in the second half of last season, as I felt he had more legs on him, to get from one end of the field to the other. He also provided quality crosses into the opposition box.

Notts County have signed 24 year old Portuguese midfielder Ruben Rodrigues from Den Bosch in the Dutch Second Division, where he scored 12 and had 10 assists last season.

Not relevant to us as such, but that’s the same level as Montsa played at last year. If you assume most players at a given level are “in the same ball park” in terms of skill etc, then either Notts have got a phenomenal signings capable of League One, of or we haven’t!! 🤪

Notts County have signed 24 year old Portuguese midfielder Ruben Rodrigues from Den Bosch in the Dutch Second Division, where he scored 12 and had 10 assists last season.

Not relevant to us as such, but that’s the same level as Montsa played at last year. If you assume most players at a given level are “in the same ball park” in terms of skill etc, then either Notts have got a phenomenal signings capable of League One, of or we haven’t!! 🤪

The problem, that not all players at a given level are ‘In the same ball park’. For example, Bohan Dixon and Matt Rhead were both conference players.....however I think we all know which of the pair we would prefer to see in the Imps colours.
I could go on with more examples, but I think you get my point. Montsa and Rodrigues are two totally different players and only time will tell whether either or both are good enough for their respective teams, or not.

Agreed it's unfair to judge a player on a few appearances, but what we've seen of Lewis so far is highly promising - no nonsense defensively, creative going forward - think of that ball in which led to Bruno's volley v Everton. Right from that first match at Huddersfield, you could see that he was a cut above any of the shadow defence played at Blackburn the year before, for example.

No one (unless mildy delusional) would say Lewis is up there with Eardley and Toffolo; most would say from the evidence so far is the potential is there. The forthcoming season will be the test of that, he should get an extended run which will reveal if he is capable of achieving the consistency to go with that promise, then we can say if he's a good 'un - or not. I'm hopeful.

I've only seen really excellent performances from Aaron Lewis so definitely confident he'll do fine. Won't have Eardley's experience and nous but that will come in due course.

...in the same season as Kyle Perry.

Vardy had much better stats and therefore progressed. I can't claim to know much about Montsma or Rodrigues' former clubs but it is interesting that a midfielder with a good scoring and assists record in that league has ended up in the national league, whereas Montsma conceded an average of 2.3 goals per game when he played and was only able to keep 3 clean sheets in 23 games.
As I said, I don't know about the clubs and it could be that Montsma was a good player in a dreadful team. He has said that clubs at the bottom end of the Eredivisie were interested in him, so he must have something about him. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't an automatic starter though while he works on his defensive abilities.
There's a good interview with Montsma that shows he is fully aware the club want to sell him on in the future https://translate.google.com/transl...one.nl/doc.asp?uid=374916&prev=search&pto=aue .

.too hot.. . and for a face covering, judging by those non-compliant on my train arriving Lincoln at16:45

As I said, I don't know about the clubs and it could be that Montsma was a good player in a dreadful team.
They finished second from bottom of the Dutch second division, in other words, the second worst professional team in the Netherlands.

They finished second from bottom of the Dutch second division, in other words, the second worst professional team in the Netherlands.
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, I doubt that either of us are aware of Montsma's responsibility for that final position. They could have been abysmal and only finished with the amount of points they did thanks to Montsma's heroic performances, or they could have been a mostly mid-table standard team who were dragged into the relegation zone by Montsma's defensive failings.

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, I doubt that either of us are aware of Montsma's responsibility for that final position. They could have been abysmal and only finished with the amount of points they did thanks to Montsma's heroic performances, or they could have been a mostly mid-table standard team who were dragged into the relegation zone by Montsma's defensive failings.

I agree. Andy Robertson and Harry Maguire we’re relegated with Hull and then have obviously gone on to Liverpool and United.

Davide Somma played for Lincoln in league two when he was pure class too.