The Weird and the Whacky - Red Imps Memorabilia | Vital Football

The Weird and the Whacky - Red Imps Memorabilia

Sigiriya

Vital Reserves Team
Imps Memorabilia (R).jpg
Lots of us have draws and boxes full of old Imps programmes. Today, whilst rooting about in the loft I re-found this little bit of Imps related memorabilia. It last saw the light of day about 15 years ago, if I remember rightly. It got me wondering what other bits of weird and whacky memorabilia are out there. Would be interesting to here.

Last edited:
I also have this small plastic shield (the colour has faded a bit over the years). It must date from 1969, and if I remember right I had to save tokens from packets of Typhoo tea. It came with the fairly well-known 1969/70 colour team photograph.

I had this shield on or around my desk at work for years, and when we were relegated out of the league in 1987 I turned it to face the wall.

Imp Shield.jpg

I also have this small plastic shield (the colour has faded a bit over the years). It must date from 1969, and if I remember right I had to save tokens from packets of Typhoo tea. It came with the fairly well-known 1969/70 colour team photograph.

I had this shield on or around my desk at work for years, and when we were relegated out of the league in 1987 I turned it to face the wall.

View attachment 40690
I really like that (y)

View attachment 40690

I have one of those. I doubt my dad would have saved tokens to get it. Odd to think it's over 50 years old.

Imps Memorabilia B (2R).jpg
I imagine most of these got left behind in Cardiff after the 2003 Play-Off Final defeat. Anyone else still got one? If I remember rightly they were given out free by the Echo.

Wife found these for me a few years ago. Cheesy looking Graham Taylor. Significant as I was born in 1971

Attachments

• 20200706_191948.jpg
    20200706_191948.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 16
Imjps Memorabilia C (2) R.jpg
As most of us on Vitals will know, following the Imps has usually been a series of down and downs followed by even deeper down and downs. Occasionally, the odd nugget of a promotion is thrown in to lead us back into the promised land. Often, it's a long and winding road that we have to follow, though, over rivers deep and mountains high, with only the joy of supporting your local club to keep you going.
Back in the late 90s, early 00s the Imps were in a real mess (again). I'm pretty sure that many of us will remember the SOS campaigns, of sponsoring a seat, or sponsoring a sod. In amongst all that lot, though, was an attempt to raise much needed funds by the release of Lincoln City's own CD. I don't remember exactly when it was released. Also, I'm not quite sure what number it got to in the charts (12th perhaps?), but if my memory serves me correctly it didn't quite make the coveted Number 1 spot. I'm sure there is somewhere out there who will know. As whacky goes this fund raising attempt was right up there with the best of them.

For those of a nervous disposition feel free to turn away now! For those with a stronger constitution, this is what the CD itself looked like. I've had this CD for many a year now and it is still in its mint, unplayed condition. Purely to preserve its rarity value, you understand.
Imps Memorabilia D (2) R.jpg

View attachment 40722
As most of us on Vitals will know, following the Imps has usually been a series of down and downs followed by even deeper down and downs. Occasionally, the odd nugget of a promotion is thrown in to lead us back into the promised land. Often, it's a long and winding road that we have to follow, though, over rivers deep and mountains high, with only the joy of supporting your local club to keep you going.
Back in the late 90s, early 00s the Imps were in a real mess (again). I'm pretty sure that many of us will remember the SOS campaigns, of sponsoring a seat, or sponsoring a sod. In amongst all that lot, though, was an attempt to raise much needed funds by the release of Lincoln City's own CD. I don't remember exactly when it was released. Also, I'm not quite sure what number it got to in the charts (12th perhaps?), but if my memory serves me correctly it didn't quite make the coveted Number 1 spot. I'm sure there is somewhere out there who will know. As whacky goes this fund raising attempt was right up there with the best of them.

For those of a nervous disposition feel free to turn away now! For those with a stronger constitution, this is what the CD itself looked like. I've had this CD for many a year now and it is still in its mint, unplayed condition. Purely to preserve its rarity value, you understand.
View attachment 40724
Ok I'm guilty, I've actually played it once......maybe twice, I forget now.

View attachment 40722

View attachment 40724
I’ve also got that CD and the 80’s Lincolnshire Poacher single. :decks: At least the CD was to help save the club. 😃

View attachment 40722

View attachment 40724
Apologies for linking to the daily fail but it appears it made No.64 for a week. This looks like a reasonable achievement given that all the football tracks that made the top 75 were generally by much bigger clubs. That is some measure of success, albeit not necessarily artistic merit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...est-worst-footie-songs-60-years-UK-chart.html

Apologies for linking to the daily fail but it appears it made No.64 for a week. This looks like a reasonable achievement given that all the football tracks that made the top 75 were generally by much bigger clubs. That is some measure of success, albeit not necessarily artistic merit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...est-worst-footie-songs-60-years-UK-chart.html
Crikey, the highest placing on a chart/table that anything associated with the club has achieved for many a year until this year! I now have a new found respect for the CD and will cherish it just that little bit more!

Last edited: