New signing | Page 4 | Vital Football

New signing

I have always thought that I should have been paid to play sport. I however never found anyone who would. I used to have to pay them about £5 a match.

I never thought I would write these words but thank goodness for "corporate and social responsibility."

I played well over 1000 games of what I thought was amateur sport, but now realise I should have been paid all along. I feel abused and taken advantage of.
How could I have put up with it all that time.

The clubs forcing me to play should be ashamed of themselves.
Spurious at best because all your team mates and the opposition would have been the same. It is called the amateur game. Between that and our level you have semi-pro where players are paid part-time pro rata salaries. And then you get fully pro clubs like Lincoln where players should be paid the "going rate" or at least the minimum wage. Is that too hard to understand?

Spurious at best because all your team mates and the opposition would have been the same. It is called the amateur game. Between that and our level you have semi-pro where players are paid part-time pro rata salaries. And then you get fully pro clubs like Lincoln where players should be paid the "going rate" or at least the minimum wage. Is that too hard to understand?

I understand your view of what "should" happen. Just do not agree with it.

If what you think "should" happen had to happen, paradoxically it would not happen, even though without your help, both parties would agree it should happen, as indeed it has happened.

Hope you understand.

Row over please. May I be among the first to actually welcome Aaron Lewis to the club. His commitment and self-belief tells me we might have someone here who will fit right in. He attracted a lot of positive comments on trial, I hope it goes well for the lad and I hope it leads to a full contract and a proper wage.

Row over please. May I be among the first to actually welcome Aaron Lewis to the club. His commitment and self-belief tells me we might have someone here who will fit right in. He attracted a lot of positive comments on trial, I hope it goes well for the lad and I hope it leads to a full contract and a proper wage.

I am unreservedly glad he is here. My final comment on the subject.

I think he was possibly the sub who replaced Eardley in the friendly at Scunthorpe who I previously thought was Coker.
It seems he has been offered various deals at lower ranked clubs but is determined to prove his worth with the Imps at this level. If it’s his decision to play for free as an extended trial then I don’t see a problem. Who knows it could lead to a great career move by him, I applaud his self belief and ambition and hope he proves himself good enough to secure a contract.

A fair day's pay for a fair day's work.

I'm not right keen on the whole "intern" economy.

I have to say in certain circumstances I disagree. Why? Because I have done it myself. Twice in fact! Once I did it to get some valuable experience when I was young and starting out. Second time after completing my training and getting a job with a company who were open about the fact that they weren't in a position to offer me anything at the time in a paid role. They paid for my petrol and gave me lunch everyday. After about 2 months there they got a new contract and offered to take me on. Best decision I have ever made because the chap who owned that company knew my present boss and after 6 years there I moved on to my current employer who have always been marvellous.

I chose to do that unpaid work rather than take the paid job I had been offered in a factory at the time because I believed I could get a higher paid position in my chosen profession and so it proved. So personally it worked brilliantly for me all those years ago. So I see taking a supposed backward step sometimes in the bigger picture.

You can't just apply a blanket rule because people must be allowed to do what they feel is right for them as I did.

I think he was possibly the sub who replaced Eardley in the friendly at Scunthorpe who I previously thought was Coker.
It seems he has been offered various deals at lower ranked clubs but is determined to prove his worth with the Imps at this level. If it’s his decision to play for free as an extended trial then I don’t see a problem. Who knows it could lead to a great career move by him, I applaud his self belief and ambition and hope he proves himself good enough to secure a contract.

Couldn’t have put it better myself, why people are getting so concerned about wages is beyond me. Football is a totally different industry to the ones many on here tread. Likewise, I’m sure the arrangement suits both parties in so far as the player may even get a better offer and move on to pastures new. I would suggest the club are looking after his financial renumeration otherwise I doubt he would be here, everyone has bills to pay but many of us can’t pick and choose.

I think he has to be applauded if hes been offerered money to go elsewhere but thinks he has a better chance to further his career , How will it be if he scores a winner cheapest three points ever.

Any player brought through the Swansea ranks from such a young age, should have a good technical pedigree, as they’ve always tried to play good football .... so hopefully he’ll get a run out v Huddersfield on Tuesday giving Eards a well earned breather.

Wasn't Theo non contract when he arrived?
Surely he gets a match fee or something? Even the Lincoln United players get that .

Wonder if he knows Josh Vickers? He was at Swansea for a short time as well.
Definitely does. Josh was at Swansea between August 2015 and June 2017 when he joined us. Lewis also knows Joe Morrell, as they played a few games together for Wales U21 in 2018. Who knows, perhaps one of those recommended Lewis to Danny?

Wasn't Theo non contract when he arrived?
Surely he gets a match fee or something? Even the Lincoln United players get that .
Yes, although 'non-contract' is not a term that is really used now. Lewis is on a multiplicity contract, which is a monthly contract that has to be renewed and re-registered every month with the EFL. Effectively it enables the player to remain on trial and signed to the club for match playing purposes until a decision is made on a longer-term deal.

A bit of clarification on non-contract terms for players here. They can be paid or unpaid.
I imagine Lewis comes under the category of ‘playing for the love of the game’ which saves us paying tax and ni.

Again, just to distinguish between 'non-contract' and 'multiplicity'. Non-contract is as it sounds: no contract of employment is in place, but the registration is usually for a whole season (ending on the third Saturday in May or when agreement is reached to terminate it, à la Theo Robinson). Such arrangements can be problematic - anyone remember Gary Charles and his £50,000 quantum meruit claim? The multiplicity contract is for one whole month at a time but can be extended thereafter, although the requirements of the EFL differ slightly for the second month onwards. Because it is recognised as a contract, it is subject to law of employment.

By the Sounds of it Aaron Lewis had agood game , Would not of hurt his chances of securing a short term deal with us or with somebody else, Got to give the lad credit for stepping up and playing a part in the win V Huddersfield