Loan Market | Vital Football

Loan Market

domski2017

Vital Squad Member
Given there is a further four week (approx) window in tier 3/4 after the top two window is closed. What special skills/relationships and perceptions are required to get in front of first Division opposition? Is it always "show me the money!"

The Accy chairman has just posted something on Twitter on this subject. It seems the Prem clubs usually want silly money to loan their young ones out. DM at Posh said the same. Crazy, isn't it. We appear to have relationships with a number of Championship clubs so fingers crossed.

Having Danny and Nicky at the helm does us no harm at all, they know how to handle and bring on young players and the top teams will know that. Good shop window for youngsters too, given the buzz around the Imps these days!

Maybe someone coming in Thursday #mysticHither. Anyone been to the training centre and done a bit of triallist spotting recently?

Having Danny and Nicky at the helm does us no harm at all, they know how to handle and bring on young players and the top teams will know that. Good shop window for youngsters too, given the buzz around the Imps these days!

Maybe someone coming in Thursday #mysticHither. Anyone been to the training centre and done a bit of triallist spotting recently?
DC & NC must be gaining a reputation for developing players and this can only be a positive when a player and their parent club are considering where a loan should be...

Come on you Imps!!!! !!! !!! ©

All the trialists that were here have left.

Danny has said he won't pay fees for loans and he also doesn't seem to like paying fees in general lol.
We will see, certainly need a few 3 to 5 players depending on how many of the youngsters are loaned out.

It is not just the loan market he should exploit as there are still plenty of players released in the summer who are without clubs.

Frazier Campbell (ST) 31yo
Gary Hooper (ST) 31yo
Will Buckley (RW) 29yo
Josh McEachran (CM) 26yo
James Morrison (CM) 33yo
Joel Lynch (CB) 31yo
Paul McShane (CB) 33yo
Jack Hobbs (CB) 30yo

All still without clubs...

Last edited:
DC & NC must be gaining a reputation for developing players and this can only be a positive when a player and their parent club are considering where a loan should be...

Come on you Imps!!!! !!! !!! ©
Whilst I agree that this is a major factor, the cynic in me says that overall, it is probably money that dictates the majority of these outcomes

Who would you take?

I would take a look at these:
Efe Ambrose – Nigerian international centre-back, released by Derby and played a lot of games in Scots Prem for Celtic and Hibernian.
Will Keane – Once a promising Man Utd youngster, whose career has never really taken off and released by Hull. A project in waiting. And still only 26.
Tommy Spurr – Defender, given a free by Preston and still only 31. Played most of his career in Championship. Similar profile to Shackell.
Joel Lynch – Released by QPR and similar to Spurr in that he has played most of his career in the Champ and still only 31.
Grant Ward – Winger, given a free by Ipswich. Once of Spurs. Decent.

I think most of the 'free' players being mentioned here are all huge earners, not even mentioning the sign-on fees. We definitely can't afford players like Will Keane or Frazier Campbell! They will be holding out for the mostly championship clubs who can't get the loan/transfer business done in the window and then turn to out of contract players.

Danny will be looking at far more realistic targets from a wage point of view.

I think most of the 'free' players being mentioned here are all huge earners, not even mentioning the sign-on fees. We definitely can't afford players like Will Keane or Frazier Campbell! They will be holding out for the mostly championship clubs who can't get the loan/transfer business done in the window and then turn to out of contract players.

Danny will be looking at far more realistic targets from a wage point of view.

You say that, but Daryl Murphy has been linked with a move to Burton and Donny, and what sort of wages must he be on at Forest? And what about Shackell, who took a massive drop to come here?

There are many candidates for the Cowleys' finest signing, but Shackell might just edge it for me. To get him when we did, and as has been said, at presumably a fraction of the wages he had been on previously, was a massive coup for the club. And but for two somewhat avoidable sending-offs, he's been immense for us since 'Day Dot'.

I would take a look at these:
Efe Ambrose – Nigerian international centre-back, released by Derby and played a lot of games in Scots Prem for Celtic and Hibernian.
Will Keane – Once a promising Man Utd youngster, whose career has never really taken off and released by Hull. A project in waiting. And still only 26.
Tommy Spurr – Defender, given a free by Preston and still only 31. Played most of his career in Championship. Similar profile to Shackell.
Joel Lynch – Released by QPR and similar to Spurr in that he has played most of his career in the Champ and still only 31.
Grant Ward – Winger, given a free by Ipswich. Once of Spurs. Decent.

Most of these players have big question marks against them. Which is why the Cowleys spend so much time on recruitment. Which could be goers? I do n’t know.
A quick look on the bible of football wisdom Wikipedia says

Efe Ambrose - Decided not to stay at Hibs - a club below Alan Power powered Kilmarnock in last yrs SPL. Then released by Derby after 6 months.

Will Keane - 26 ex Man Utd - Only played 80 odd matches. Harry Anderson at 22 looks a veteran. Obviously keen on getting paid, not bother about playing much?

Tommy Spur - Retired

Joel Lynch - Trial with Premier League Sheffield Utd in close season.

Grant Ward - Let go by Ipswich, not played since ACL injury 6 months ago.

1. Coker, if he ever signs. covers left back, left centre back, and has played further forward down the left side, and left defensive midfield. If he can be trained up to fitness he would be the ideal back up all rounder.
2. Someone similar down the right, a loanee like the Hughes fella from Leicester, who can play right back, right centre back, and holding midfield. Or find the 50k for O’Hara - who can do holding midfield, box-to-box and centre back apparently. (Especially if he can also cover rb?)
3. A left footed loanee attacker capable of playing out wide, and as a striker.

Looking at the squad sizes in the season preview, it looks like we have more room to add players than most teams in our league, so we might suddenly jump up the queue for any prem/championship loan talent still available after tomorrow