Two options for the stadium | Page 3 | Vital Football

Two options for the stadium

Out of interest, does anyone know what amount of other Efl clubs have the exec boxes on a stand behind one of the goals, and not down the full side of the pitch ? It seems strange to me that people would pay extra to mainly see one end of the pitch . Though each to their own and I think they sell well.

I realise this but if we do a steel structure you would only need to service it on the ground floor level and therefore could bring in a separate service run s from the external services. I am not talking about extending all the inner floors simply taking the seating deck over. Take a look at the New Stand at Watford produced by GR structures this is a prefabricated steel structure which was just assembled. We could simply bolt this onto the side of the Selinity. But by keeping the seating deck the same and the roof the same it would look seemless.

All right in theory but all the ventilation supply and extract systems for the existing stand are on that elevation of the stand those and perhaps the underground services would need to replaced and/or re-engineered, most likely the former. Furthermore, there is no such thing of simply bolting on a new steel frame onto a structure that is 35+ years old. A nice idea but technically not a good idea or more importantly financially not the best option.

Last edited:
I'm not going to solutionise the out come of the study being undertaken. Let's see what is proposed.

Okay will do when I get time.
Just been looking at photo's of the Selenity. You could almost fit another stand like it either side but not quite. 3 x 1700, if the seating on the 2 new ends were more condensed than the middle. You could have a stand holding 5,000 odd on that side, with 2 x lean to's. I think Banana is right though. Better to knock the whole thing down and build something properly, especially if better value for money. We don't need the training pitch anymore behind the Selenity, so can come back a bit. I reckon we need to be looking at 15,000 capacity if we can. Think about our potential and aims at Div 1 or even Championship. If we had 15,000 now we would already be close to filling it for the big games. We can't win new supporters at the moment. It's not the best match day experience if you are sitting low down near the corner flag. Also a lot of the empty seats are when away teams can't sell all their tickets.

That was very different.

I have not come across a Darlo fan that wanted to move from Feethams.

Reynolds, built that stadium by engaging contractors, not paying them dismissing them, rengaging another contrcators, not paying them, repeat ad nauseam, until one has the Reynolds Stadium

More to the point was the capacity of the stadium, not who built it.

How many games are we selling out now and are they not selling out due to away fans not taking up there allocation. The biggest problem i see is spending millions on extra seats stands etc then not really recouping it through revenue. Bit of a double edged sword . Also with the present electrics plumbing etc will a lot of the services need replacing

Actually, I think it was 27000.
Reynolds was running out of money. At one stage i heard that he'd found out red seats were cheaper than black or white seats. So if a red seat was £5 and a Black or White one was £10, he'd worked out x 27,000 it was worth trying to change the clubs colours. So that was proposed, then it came out he was a closet Sunderland fan and the supporters were not impressed. Anyway even though the club traditionally played in black and white the seats ended up being red for that reason.

You could put away fans in the South Park remove the seats from the Stacey west to increase capacity and demolish the St Andrews stand and the buildings running that side of the pitch and then rebuild to suit.

The net effort on attendance would be minimal and you could put the staff offices club shop and changing rooms in portacabins

"We can't win new supporters at the moment. It's not the best match day experience if you are sitting low down near the corner flag"

Very true, I put up with restricted view seats in the selenity, and what is basically an absolute crap view from the south park and not a great deal better from the SW. I'm already an addict so put up with it but know of imps who no longer try to get tickets as they can't sit in the coop or have a decent seat in the selenity. We might not be selling out each gameand there may be empty seats but that's not to say we're getting the max gate we can.

Lowest ground capacity EFLCh club this season is Rotherham at 12,021 with Brentford also at less than 13,000.

If we looked at the EFL1 this season, there are only 4 clubs who would definitely bring 2,000+ away fans if they were given tickets (Coventry, Bradford, Sunderland, Portsmouth). 4 or 5 who might (Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Luton, Barnsley, Oxford) and a couple who may if flying high.

We need to rebuild the stadium (if that is what we do) to ensure we maximise the away potential but provide sufficient capacity for growth in home fans.

Our average already this season is 8650 and likely to rise if we continue as we are and very possibly pass 9,000 average by season end.

Which means a ground capacity of 12,000-13000 is about right.

Seems a given to make the SW standing again to take it to 2450 (I assume we have no option to add further height to the back of the SW to make it nearer 3,000)

Where does the rest come from? That is where the real cost is.

I have less of an issue with access and parking at the ground- at least 50% of EFL2 ground don't have on site parking or almost non(Grimsby, Mansfield, Cheltenham, Exeter, Macclesfield, Tranmere, Bury, Oldham, Morecambe, Notts County, Cambridge etc) and it is not a significant issue.

Would be glad if we stayed at the Bank