General Football thread | Page 482 | Vital Football

General Football thread

Much written about sellingMurillo or MGW. Both will cost £60m to £80m. All clubs are struggling under S&P. those that are not are unlikely to take a punt at that price. Until the rules change at end of 2025 season I don’t see any movement.

Much written about sellingMurillo or MGW. Both will cost £60m to £80m. All clubs are struggling under S&P. those that are not are unlikely to take a punt at that price. Until the rules change at end of 2025 season I don’t see any movement.
you would think so.

But i saw a quote from Poch couple of days ago, he was saying how they need to bring in some players at the end of this season, a mixture of experienced and new up and coming youngsters to take the next step.

The big 4 will always spend big, they do what they want.

you would think so.

But i saw a quote from Poch couple of days ago, he was saying how they need to bring in some players at the end of this season, a mixture of experienced and new up and coming youngsters to take the next step.

The big 4 will always spend big, they do what they want.
Man City sold Cole to fund transfers last season. Chelsea several players including Mount. Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton probably have money in the kitty but the remaining will all need to sell. To find a fiifth (amortisation) of that money. S&P hamstrings everyone.

It's not a case of being scared.

For all of England's wealth in attack, they still have a donkey sanctuary at the back.

Only a complete fucking half wit would go all out attack with that handicap.
In Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane wehave attacking players that are the envy of most top teams. There is also a supporting cast now in the shape of Palmer etc who are ready to step up. We have a midfielder in Rice who wouldn’t be out of place in any midfield.

And that’s where it ends.

Walker is fading, Stones can’t be relied upon and Maguire just isn’t good enough. Pickford is a decent keeper but not much more than that.

Southgate is a cautious manager but is our defence really good enough for him to be anything else? For all the moaning about him is there really anyone else that we could see in the job and doing well? Someone who would actually want the job…?

It's not a case of being scared.

For all of England's wealth in attack, they still have a donkey sanctuary at the back.

Only a complete fucking half wit would go all out attack with that handicap.
And only a fuckin half wit would shackle all the exciting forward talent we have.
Let's play it a bit safe and see how the donkeys manage.....

And only a fuckin half wit would shackle all the exciting forward talent we have.
Let's play it a bit safe and see how the donkeys manage.....
This is international football.

You don't just outscore the opposition because defending is a lot easier than attacking. Stopping goals is a lot easier than scoring them.

England go gung ho, "hey, we have Bellingham and Foden and Kane" etc- and all that will happen is that teams will set up to stop them, deny them space, frustrate them.

Then they will exploit our absolutely shite defence to nab a goal and defend Rorkes Drift for the rest of the game not giving us a peek.

It doesn't matter how good Bellingham is if he has 11 men in front of him and no space to run into

And teams will do that because they know they can defend and we cant

In Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane wehave attacking players that are the envy of most top teams. There is also a supporting cast now in the shape of Palmer etc who are ready to step up. We have a midfielder in Rice who wouldn’t be out of place in any midfield.

And that’s where it ends.

Walker is fading, Stones can’t be relied upon and Maguire just isn’t good enough. Pickford is a decent keeper but not much more than that.

Southgate is a cautious manager but is our defence really good enough for him to be anything else? For all the moaning about him is there really anyone else that we could see in the job and doing well? Someone who would actually want the job…?
All managers are cautious; some more than others.

The criticism of Southgate and his team selections borders on the bizarre and is only the result of the frustration of not winning anything.

You mention Palmer; one bad result and there will be constant whining for him to be picked, and then the next bad result and it will be Grealish or the next bright young thing, and so on, and so on.

And in the end it will not matter who he picks, because where the French are concerned, the sum of the parts count for a lot more than all the individual talent in the world.

This is international football.

You don't just outscore the opposition because defending is a lot easier than attacking. Stopping goals is a lot easier than scoring them.

England go gung ho, "hey, we have Bellingham and Foden and Kane" etc- and all that will happen is that teams will set up to stop them, deny them space, frustrate them.

Then they will exploit our absolutely shite defence to nab a goal and defend Rorkes Drift for the rest of the game not giving us a peek.

It doesn't matter how good Bellingham is if he has 11 men in front of him and no space to run into

And teams will do that because they know they can defend and we cant
I dunno though…many Brazilian sides were built on amazing attack/midfield and less so defence/keepers

I get your point but I think we could balance a bit more than we do where first touch is backwards.

All managers are cautious; some more than others.

The criticism of Southgate and his team selections borders on the bizarre and is only the result of the frustration of not winning anything.

You mention Palmer; one bad result and there will be constant whining for him to be picked, and then the next bad result and it will be Grealish or the next bright young thing, and so on, and so on.

And in the end it will not matter who he picks, because where the French are concerned, the sum of the parts count for a lot more than all the individual talent in the world.
My criticism of Southgate has always been The same, he said he picks on form..then picks rashford/Henderson etc when the likes of palmer are on electric form

Plus that euro final..our pace was terrifying them and we eased off after going 1-0 rather than press for a second

Stags promoted. Nigel has got them playing some controlled stuff. Opportunity for some Forest Loans.
Automatic promotion despite having 7 defenders out with injuries. I was hoping they'd be taking 6 points off Derby C*unty next season but it's looking like that could be down to us!
Well done Nigel at least there's something to cheer about in Nottinghamshire. 👍

I dunno though…many Brazilian sides were built on amazing attack/midfield and less so defence/keepers

I get your point but I think we could balance a bit more than we do where first touch is backwards.
Really!

The greatest Brazilian side of all time was built around a defence of Carlos Alberto, Everaldo, Piazza and Brito.

Brilliant, top class players; and if you go through the great sides that followed, they would all have had at least one top defender.

I’m pleased about the Stags promotion back into the third tier for the first time in 20 years. Nigel is a quality manager. I’ll always have a soft spot for him because of what he was like as a player. Listening to his interviews after being awarded League Two Manager of the Season, I think he’s thinking about retirement in the not too distant future. But I reckon he might get Mansfield up into the Championship first. Watching Super Mansfield, putting on a show!

Last edited: