The Nicolò Zaniolo Thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

The Nicolò Zaniolo Thread

Looked a lot more like a player who is 6'3 and 185lbs+

I don't recall him losing it an awful lot and he even managed to avoid getting booked.
He lost it a couple of times but his luck turned yesterday and he came out with the ball more often than not. He and Duran looked very powerful

If he finishes the season really strong it might be enough. Do we want to risk spending more than 15m and waiting another 7 months for another player to get up to speed? Or worse waiting 2 years like it took Leon?

The is risk is your next signing costs more and still takes 7 months to figure out or longer.

Emi2 doesn't factor into the equation for me, Zaniolo wasn't brought here to replace him IMO. The deal was already in the works prior to his injury and he walked thru the door 48 hrs later. Emi2 has a huge amount to do to convince me he should be here beyond the summer as well but he will be by virtue of the injury.
That’s just it, we’ll sell players this summer and hope to recruit better, CL standard players. It wouldn’t surprise me whoever leaves as long as we get top dollar. I’m sure teams are considering our players and I have no idea where Unai sees the need to improve. If all goes to plan, and we maintain 4th, I could see 4-5 new recruits and, depending on Zaniolo’s performances, he may yet be one of them.

I’m not ruling anything out.

I think yesterday summed him up in a nutshell. Some really good moments, then let himself down from the free kick and then when things didn't go his way in the second half signalled to come off with what appeared to be a pulled heart muscle.

Think he could develop into a very decent player, just not sure he is up to speed for the PL at the moment.

I don't.
He has had a wonderful chance. He was only a loan so needed to do it from the off.

Bailey we saw stuff straight away. Diaby , goes without saying, where you think there is something there to work on .

I think we've seen all we ever will with Zaniolo. Odd, and I mean odd flashes but zero consistency, flaky personality and attitude.

Last edited:
He may be seen as something special overseas but he is struggling in the best league in the world and i think he knows that. We have other players who had never played in the Prem, enough said.

I don't.
He has had a wobderful chance. He was only a loan so needed to do it from the off.

Bailey we saw stuff straight away. Diaby , goes without saying, where you think there is something there to work on .

I think we've seen all we ever will with Zaniolo. Odd, and I mean odd flashes but zero consistency, flaky personality and attitude.
Being a little more forgiving, I think he misses Italy and like many Italians before him he has struggled to adapt. He still has a role to play this season, Rogers already looks a better long-term bet but he can go missing for stretches and defensively there is a lot of work to do. Recently Zaniolo has been a good foil to bring on for the final 20-30 mins both when chasing and defending.

Have to wonder why he ended up in Turkey.

From what I understand Roma were selling him to Milan, which is who Roma signed him from as a teenager, last January. Near the end of the window Bournemouth came in and absolutely blew Milans offer out of the park. Naturally he didn't want to go to a tinpot club like Bournemouth so he refused to go there.

Problem was that now Roma had it in their head that they wouldn't accept any fee lower than the one Bournemouth offered which Milan and no other Italian club could afford in the January window. He kicked off about it in the press and the Roma Ultras weren't happy.

So he basically had to go anywhere that could afford him which turned out to be a choice between Bournemouth and Galatasaray.

Not sure if I can or can't believe I'm the first to show the Nico thread some love after his best performance for us yesterday. Like a crazy Labrador, he's better and actually seems happier with a bit of discipline. Did his job to a tee yesterday.
I've given him an honourable mention in the match thread.

Not sure if I can or can't believe I'm the first to show the Nico thread some love after his best performance for us yesterday. Like a crazy Labrador, he's better and actually seems happier with a bit of discipline. Did his job to a tee yesterday.
2nd half he was great, he either realised or Emery told him to stop trying to run the defenders but to hold up and play the ball instead. He looked quicker in Turkey and Italy but that's probably a combo of slower defenders and his damaged knees now. If he adapts his game can be a weapon as clearly has some talent.