MATCH THREAD v West Ham 2nd April 20-15 | Page 8 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v West Ham 2nd April 20-15

Was out so only caught brief parts

Seemed the same - all the ball, no ideas, poor finishing/lack of shooting and complete brain farts at the back

Completely forgettable. It was always going to be a difficult game and I wasn't expecting a win. I did however expect some decent football and some entertainment. Seventy percent of the possession and we barely created a chance. Some would say quite correctly that if Udogie had converted a real chance with pretty much the last kick, we would have won. It wouldn't have been deserved though, West Ham stuck to a game plan, created more chances than us from minimal possession, and would have won if they weren't over reliant on Bowen up front.
What were all our substitutions about, was there any method, design or tactics involved, or were we just throwing on bodies in the hope that somebody might produce something. All that was achieved was our becoming increasingly more disjointed as the game progressed. Our performance on the touchline was as mediocre as that on the pitch.
The manager reckons that we are a Work in Progress, and the inconsistency of our results over the last ten games or so bare that out. Some of the results and performances question how much progress is actually being made, but it's more than United, Newcastle and Chelsea, which is keeping us where we are.
My biggest concern though, is that after the entertainment and enjoyment of early season, we are actually starting to look quite boring again.
Same story for a number of game, Luton had 3 or 4 good chances at 1-0 on Saturday to make it 2.

We just dont concentrate or defend properly

It's our final third, again, that is causing us problems.
Certainly Son and Werner had mediocre games, but surely that has to reflect on the service from midfield. The ratings thread seems to indicate that most feel that the midfielders had decent games. How does that correlate with barely creating a chance in the entire match. Too often we are dependent on solo efforts from Son, or his tireless running pressuring defences into errors. When he has an off night we are invariably stuffed.

Certainly Son and Werner had mediocre games, but surely that has to reflect on the service from midfield. The ratings thread seems to indicate that most feel that the midfielders had decent games. How does that correlate with barely creating a chance in the entire match. Too often we are dependent on solo efforts from Son, or his tireless running pressuring defences into errors. When he has an off night we are invariably stuffed.

I wonder how many touches we had in their box? Faffing around instead of shooting.

Werner was fed the ball numerous times throughout the game but apart from his assist for the goal he was very wasteful in his use of the ball.

Moyes is claiming the referee was giving us all of the 50/50 decisions, is he having a laugh, their players, Paqueta particularly, were assaulting our players throughout the game without any punishment.
You wouldn't expect him to say anything else - he knows better than anyone he can't allow the labels of being thugs to stick.

I said before the game that our biggest issue was midfield, in every respect, and having now watched it, so it was.

Bissouma made a better performance, but we are so disjointed there and frustratingly, we showed once again we don't have the tactical game plan or the smarts to counter a deep block.

Ange could fix this easily enough, but I suspect he won't. Every team we play now, knows what to expect, and knows what our whole game plan will be.

No it is not the only one, we need improvement everywhere from a depth perspective. But one little flash of improvement in final third decision making yesterday would have turned the tide.
I agree, it could have - you just never know where a shot can go from the edge or even inside the box when there are half a dozen defenders in front of you - I think I saw only four shots on target in the whole 90 - given our domination of the ball, that really is appalling.

I actually thought we played really well last night.

I was very critical of the performance in the Fulham game but on reflection I was too hasty.

Arsenal, City and Everton are the only teams to win at West Ham this season. We pretty much dominated the game and with a bit more care around the box we would have won the game comfortably.

Our defending from set pieces is a worry and something that needs improving but it is a particular strength of West Ham so fair play to them.

None of us on here are fans of them but in fairness they are a very decent, well coached team with a few class players and although I really wanted the 3 points, I’ll take the draw and the improvements I’m seeing.

Still all to play for!

As I ave told you all, I got back from Hospital last night, had a kip and then watched the game a little time after Jonny had scored but saw the hard man Cat hurter eqaulise for them, poor defending by us me thinks lol!

In general I enjoyed the game, a draw at the Council Tax payers Ground ain't to bad, I think the Diddies called Spam aint been beat there more than about 3 times, so not to bad a result.

Though I say not to bad a result, but should/could have won it, we have to.....

Start making more of the possession we achieve!

To much trying to walk the ball into the net, Gooners used to do that if memory serves me right.

More shots, esp on target v bus parking teams, deflections may/will occur etc

Breaking at speed, far superior early passing would help.

Start to defend set pieces a whole lot better, time will tell.

Maybe a wee bit of the ole Dark arts should occur more offen, example of Jonny last night taking one for the team.

But in general I am pleased the way the Squad and Angie are goin about their business.

Think we will see way better stuff next season, esp after another good TW. COYS

So standard Spurs:

-Inconsistent attack...and I am being nice when I say inconsistent. West Ham made it difficult and was physical....so yeah our fearless Captain ghosted us like usual. Ahhh leadership!

-Our midfield is basically useless...so our midfield is an open freeway...comon through lads!!

-Our WBs are given free reign to not defend at all and simply run forward to be part of our inconsistent attack...see bullet 1

-Our CBs I think our good, but are getting shit on by everyone around them every match...and if they have an off game...VdV...it looks bad.

-Venom we love you, don't change

**Will someone find our set piece coach and fire him.

Yet again...in another important game....we failed to deliver. Not surprised.

They played the same tactics and play style in the last game and we did diddly squat about playing different .... same ol same ol build from the back stuff using a C2V mower engine iso a Ferrari. SOoooooooooo Slowwwwwwwwww

It's all been said throughout the season; we don't get the reward that our dominance deserves and we rely on last ditch/ goalkeeper defending. Ange clearly believes that the set-up is fine and it is execution that needs to improve. You either buy that and harp on about getting better players or worry like I do that you need a solid defensive structure to build upon. That doesn't have to be the turgid stuff of past seasons, just a little more caution and keeping at least one of the full backs covering the counters. Possession is definitely a key to limiting threat but can easily be negated as we've witnessed. Angeball needs a better return and we seem to now lacking the goals from anywhere that the early season results promised.

It's all been said throughout the season; we don't get the reward that our dominance deserves and we rely on last ditch/ goalkeeper defending. Ange clearly believes that the set-up is fine and it is execution that needs to improve. You either buy that and harp on about getting better players or worry like I do that you need a solid defensive structure to build upon. That doesn't have to be the turgid stuff of past seasons, just a little more caution and keeping at least one of the full backs covering the counters. Possession is definitely a key to limiting threat but can easily be negated as we've witnessed. Angeball needs a better return and we seem to now lacking the goals from anywhere that the early season results promised.

Yup. That's exactly where we are.

But I'd rather get better players and stick to Angeball and win some things.

Otherwise, someone will be mailing me a roasted crow from Australia.