Club or Country | Vital Football

Club or Country

HootersHotspur

Vital Reserves Team
I was having a conversation with a friend recently ( a Liverpool fan). He asked me whether I'd rather England won the Euros or Spurs won the Premier League. I had no hesitation in saying Spurs winning the league. He was a little surprised. He changed the question to England winning the World Cup or spurs winning the Premier League. My answer was still Spurs.
I then said that iIwould rather Spurs qualify for the Champions League than England win the World Cup. My friend was stunned and a little horrified at my answer.
I do like England to do well in tournaments but I am never that bothered when they get knocked out. But when Spurs lose or get knocked out of a cup I find it harder to take (I still haven't got over the Fulham result!).
It's always been club over country for me. What do other Spurs fans think (substitute England for Ireland if required).

I'm more old school. The pinnacle for a PLAYER should be winning the WC. That is why I tend to get the player perspective especially when they are put in club vs country scenarios.

Obviously, as a fan it is different. My perspective here is that where we've got to over time is a sad state of affairs. Other sports have prioritised their national sides and made them the pinnacle. They wouldn't have a GM Vauxhall manager like Southgate managing the best players in our country. They wouldn't have pointless friendlies either. Every game in cricket and rugby is a test match.

This is why HH's question for me is such a hard one. When the entire atmosphere and culture associated around the national team is so diminished because of the money men, then it is very hard to enjoy it. I've also stopped being a home and away supporter. Trust me, those fans love every minute of it.

Then there is the Southgate effect. Seeing your manager and captain letting their entire country down (including their team mates) when it was harder to lose the last Euro's than win it. Seeing that complete tactical meltdown against Croatia in Moscow before that and snatching defeat.

Right now, my answer would be seeing Spurs win things. What's not to like about our current setup? The trophies would feel amazing. Probably better than winning the WC, but I hope that becomes restored over time.

I'm more old school. The pinnacle for a PLAYER should be winning the WC. That is why I tend to get the player perspective especially when they are put in club vs country scenarios.

Obviously, as a fan it is different. My perspective here is that where we've got to over time is a sad state of affairs. Other sports have prioritised their national sides and made them the pinnacle. They wouldn't have a GM Vauxhall manager like Southgate managing the best players in our country. They wouldn't have pointless friendlies either. Every game in cricket and rugby is a test match.

This is why HH's question for me is such a hard one. When the entire atmosphere and culture associated around the national team is so diminished because of the money men, then it is very hard to enjoy it. I've also stopped being a home and away supporter. Trust me, those fans love every minute of it.

Then there is the Southgate effect. Seeing your manager and captain letting their entire country down (including their team mates) when it was harder to lose the last Euro's than win it. Seeing that complete tactical meltdown against Croatia in Moscow before that and snatching defeat.

Right now, my answer would be seeing Spurs win things. What's not to like about our current setup? The trophies would feel amazing. Probably better than winning the WC, but I hope that becomes restored over time.
Luckily muttley I am not old school, club before country, sports wise anyway, every time.

Mind my attitude does change when England play the Sweaties lol! COYS

For me it's Club every time, probably because NI have absoutley no chance of winning a meat raffle never mind the World Cup.
Qualifiers and friendlies bore the tits clean off me, however I'm interested in the actual tournaments, so the qualis are a necessary evil.
I do bang on about the international breaks and, still maintain there should be a better way of running international football rather than breaking up the league season, I do believe(short term) differing training methods,tactics, travel, and playing surfaces can and from what I've seen does add to player injuries (we've witnessed that often enough) see Kyle Walker over the weekend.
However from a players point of view, I do understand the want /need /honour, to play for ones country..
As a club is transient, a country (usually) is for life (see Declan Rice).

I wouldn't compare the two outcomes. Both for me would be absolutely fantastic outcomes, but for differing reasons.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"

I'm desperate for both club and country to achieve glory.
Have to say I feel blessed. I've seen Spurs win the Double and the ECWC, and I've seen England win the WC. It's always been club before country for me because it was Spurs that ignited my passion to watch football in the first place.

I chewed this around for a while thinking club before country or country before club. I then thought who would I bust a gut for to watch on TV. That answered the question! Spurs every time as I’ve realised I don’t care whether I watch England or not. I do care if I can’t watch my team. Therefore no doubts. Club first!

Like Geof , I’m one of the lucky few to have seen both .

What I don’t understand , and never have , is a friendly match .

What is that all about .

Being nice to your opponent ?

It will always be club for me, no matter what .
Your country winning anything doesn’t grant much bragging rights, but your club ……
My club winning any game is the pinnacle , especially if rivals lose at the same time .

I really don’t get anyone playing Andorra and getting satisfaction about putting six goals past them . And then being out thought by Greece . No disrespect to any opponent , but I just don’t get it .

I used to travel all over following England , but it was more for the craic than the game .

Following Tottenham all over Europe was totally different, it was the game , the whole game and nothing but the game .

When I lived in London , me and my mate used to go to every away game , either as twelve / fourteen year olds , getting the coach from White Hart Lane , or later driving our own cars .
Just turn up , pay at the gate .

It was away of life I will never forget . Following Tottenham .

It will always be my club first . No matter what .

Like Geof , I’m one of the lucky few to have seen both .

What I don’t understand , and never have , is a friendly match .

What is that all about .

Being nice to your opponent ?

It will always be club for me, no matter what .
Your country winning anything doesn’t grant much bragging rights, but your club ……
My club winning any game is the pinnacle , especially if rivals lose at the same time .

I really don’t get anyone playing Andorra and getting satisfaction about putting six goals past them . And then being out thought by Greece . No disrespect to any opponent , but I just don’t get it .

I used to travel all over following England , but it was more for the craic than the game .

Following Tottenham all over Europe was totally different, it was the game , the whole game and nothing but the game .

When I lived in London , me and my mate used to go to every away game , either as twelve / fourteen year olds , getting the coach from White Hart Lane , or later driving our own cars .
Just turn up , pay at the gate .

It was away of life I will never forget . Following Tottenham .

It will always be my club first . No matter what .

Thing is, when football addressed the pointless friendly thing by introducing the Nations League everyone jumped on them. The actual England fans that bothered to pay attention knew that playing Spain, Croatia, Holland etc with a path to automatic qualification and a trophy was a good thing. Other so called fans just called them more pointless friendlies.

I prefer the rugby and cricket approach. They're all test matches but less is definitely more. The autumn internationals and 6 nations is showpiece sport.