AFC Bournemouth-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

AFC Bournemouth-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
AFC Bournemouth 0 Manchester City 1
City Goals - Foden 24'
City Assists -

FT Stats
Possession
Cherries 37.8% City 62.2% City OS 38%-62%
Corners
Cherries 3 City 8
Offsides
Cherries 3 City 0
Fouls
Cherries 14 City 6
Cards
Cherries 2 Y City 2 Y (B Silva, De Bruyne)
On Target
Cherries 4 City 6
Woodwork
Cherries 0 City 0
Off Target
Cherries 9 City 9 (PL site has 13 Cherries shots, City 15 - City OS Cherries 5 City 3)

Attendance: 11,184

Compiled from PL and City Official Site match day threads

TEAM NEWS 📽​

CITY XI: Ederson, Akanji, Stones, Dias (C), Ake, Rodrigo, Nunes*, Kovacic***, Bernardo, Foden, Haaland**
Subs: Ortega Moreno, Walker, Grealish, Doku*, De Bruyne***, Alvarez**, Gomez, Bobb, Lewis

Last edited:
19:26

FULL-TIME​

Bournemouth 0-1 Man City

Manchester City fend off the late Bournemouth pressure to take all three points.
It wasn't a pretty display but they got the job done to move to within a point of leaders Liverpool.

20:54

'My admiration to all the players is unbelievable'​

FT: Bournemouth 0-1 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Match of the Day: "I am really pleased about the way we behaved. It is a tough place to come. We did really, really well.

"John Stones was amazing. Phil Foden is playing the best football I have seen from him. Everyone made a contribution and I am really pleased.

"They had seven days to prepare for this game but we had three. There are teams who play with less recovery than the other one in the Premier League.

"We played fantastic game in the first half and should have scored more. In general it was unbelievable the way we defended because we needed it. When you don't have recovery and the players are tired, you cannot expect to be perfect because they are human beings.

"Every three days for years, not just this season, years. It is difficult but they are still winning. My admiration to all the players is unbelievable.

"I would love to win three or four. It is what it is."

20:55

'My players are supermen'​

Bournemouth 0-1 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to Sky Sports:

"I adore my players - they are supermen. They are so good. Where we come from for many years, playing every three days - they [Bournemouth] had seven days to prepare for the game and we always have less.

"So when people say, you play in the same conditions in the Premier League, no, no - we don't have the same equality, we have much more games than the rest to play, and this is a tough place to come, they are a fantastic team, they won 3-0 at Old Trafford.

"We demand too much of our players but they respond. I know people say 'they earn a lot of money' but it [the schedule] is too much. Honestly. But business must go on and it surprises me every time how we are still there, they have an incredible character and are so competitive even when they are tired, they give extra.

"Our fans have to be so proud of these guys.

"The last 10-15 minutes were tough - we won the Treble and people think we have to win every game 4-0, 5-0 but that is not the reality and hopefully soon we can have a week off and refresh our minds and legs."

20:56

'Foden was outstanding'​

Francis Benali
Former Southampton defender on BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra

I think Bournemouth will be frustrated and kicking themselves that they didn't take a point from this match today.

From City's perspective it's three points. Not the most convincing or most dominant of games.

It's not just his goal but I thought Phil Foden was outstanding today. Always making himself available for the ball, always a threat and problem to the Bournemouth side.

A very interesting game of football.

20:57

'We needed to be more clinical'​

Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola, speaking to Sky Sports: "Even when you play well and put them under pressure - second half I think they were suffering - but you have to take your chances and be more clinical.

"It was the type of game we expected. We did well for 25 minutes and then started to lose the high press as we got tired.

"They scored the goal but the second half was very good from our side. But in the end we missed the most important thing which was the finishing.

"We were brave in the second half and we were close to having something, but we couldn't do it.

"It is very difficult to get a result against them. We defended well but on the other side we didn't finish the things we created.

"I think we we are playing well. Now I hope we continue with this level of football and intensity."

Fair go to the Cherries, at least they had a crack, don't think they deserved a point though. We missed a few due to bad luck.

Pep - "The last 10-15 minutes were tough - we won the Treble and people think we have to win every game 4-0, 5-0 but that is not the reality and hopefully soon we can have a week off and refresh our minds and legs."

There’s a reason why the Premier League title has never been won in four consecutive seasons. It is hard. We are a prize scalp now and teams definitely raise their game and their analysts do their work. Fine. Wouldn’t want it any other way. This win yesterday was ground out and we rode our luck at times - but we got over the line…..as Champions do.

Pep - "The last 10-15 minutes were tough - we won the Treble and people think we have to win every game 4-0, 5-0 but that is not the reality and hopefully soon we can have a week off and refresh our minds and legs."

There’s a reason why the Premier League title has never been won in four consecutive seasons. It is hard. We are a prize scalp now and teams definitely raise their game and their analysts do their work. Fine. Wouldn’t want it any other way. This win yesterday was ground out and we rode our luck at times - but we got over the line…..as Champions do.
Most team play well above their normal game when they come up against us and we are the scalp that many teams want.
It takes so much out of them that the teams they play after us benefit because it does take it out of their legs and body to maintain the way they played against City and that is why we deserve the praise which is slow in coming.

Sky Sports
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (7), Akanji (7), Stones (8), Dias (7), Ake (6), Rodri (8), Kovacic (7), Foden (9), Nunes (6), Silva (6), Haaland (6).

Subs: Doku (6), Alvarez (6), De Bruyne (n/a).

Player of the match: Phil Foden (Man City).

Manchester Evening News
Payer ratings

Man City:
Ederson (7), Akanji (7), Stones (8), Dias (7), Ake (6), Rodri (8), Kovacic (7), Foden (8), Nunes (6), Silva (6), Haaland (6).

Subs: Doku (6), Alvarez (6), De Bruyne (6).

Both Sky and MEN give Bernardo 6, personally I thought he had a much better game than they indicate even though 6 is above average, I think he deserved a 7 and Haaland even though he does not score with every shot they still mark him down whilst not looking at his general play where he creates space for others to run into.

Both Sky and MEN give Bernardo 6, personally I thought he had a much better game than they indicate even though 6 is above average, I think he deserved a 7 and Haaland even though he does not score with every shot they still mark him down whilst not looking at his general play where he creates space for others to run into.
They are so very shallow in their judgements. For Haaland scoring seems to be the only metric and Bernardo’s work rate on and off the ball is similarly discounted. Bernardo was better than a 6 ad Haaland occupies the defenders so much now (after the analysts had a season’s worth of games to come up with a plan for their defenders) that they forget that it was his movement and shot which led to the goal.