Any Montsma news? | Vital Football

Any Montsma news?

HitherImp

Vital Football Hero
Been very quiet WRT The Flying Dutchman recently. Have I missed something or is he just steadily making his way back to fitness under the radar?

Great to see the lad involved and making some kind of progress, but would be great to have an up-to-date report on exactly where he is. I know we need to be really careful with him because of his injury history, so don’t expect to see him this season, but it would be nice to hear of his actual progress towards full training. How about a ‘Ben House’ type of video showing ‘a day in his life’?

Injured on 25 March last year, so out for 11 months so far. With three ACL ruptures to his name, it would be foolish to try to bring him back this season.

However, he is out of contract at the end of June; it will be interesting to see what we do with that.

I really hope that we extend his contract. I love watching Lewis play. He is exactly the sort of player we need to build the team towards Championship standard. The only caveat I can see for the club not to consider a contract extension will be how well he recovers from the third ACL injury and the medical team’s long term prognosis. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that and he comes back to full fitness over the close season. 🤞🤞🤞

Guess you also have to consider that he's a young(ish) man who's spent a fair period of time in a foreign country injured or doing solo work in a gym. Either way, not being able to play football as he wishes.
When you consider the human element, he himself might be thinking of moving home, regardless of whatever LCFC or other clubs might want.

I really hope that we extend his contract. I love watching Lewis play. He is exactly the sort of player we need to build the team towards Championship standard. The only caveat I can see for the club not to consider a contract extension will be how well he recovers from the third ACL injury and the medical team’s long term prognosis. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that and he comes back to full fitness over the close season. 🤞🤞🤞
On a human level, you'd hope he would come back ok.

But if we signed a new player in a summer window who's had 3 ACL's in his career and not long recovered from his latest one, then they'd be all sorts of comments here.

As awful as it sounds, I'm not sure how we can justify offering him a new deal and I'd be amazed if he hadn't been advised to retire.

On a human level, you'd hope he would come back ok.

But if we signed a new player in a summer window who's had 3 ACL's in his career and not long recovered from his latest one, then they'd be all sorts of comments here.

As awful as it sounds, I'm not sure how we can justify offering him a new deal and I'd be amazed if he hadn't been advised to retire.
Very sad if that turns out the case, but realistically, football is a business and hard decisions sometimes have to be made. At least give him one more chance - if he breaks down again I think the writing is on the wall, unfortunately 😢

You can come back from 3 ACL's but if he does it won't be until next season before there is any hope of him back in first team action.

The one slight advantage for him is at least there is now someone at the club who has suffered 3 ACL injuries in Chris Cohen and come back from them and played again. I'm sure he will be passing on plenty of advice on what worked for him but as we know every human can react differently to the same situation so his career at a professional level will definitely be in the balance at the moment.

He's still a reasonably young man though and I'm sure he'll want to give it another go. Age is a massive factor on how your body recovers and adapts so that is on his side

Really do hope he can make that full recovery to play again. It would be a huge boost to him to resume his career and like having signed a new quality centre back for us.

You can come back from 3 ACL's but if he does it won't be until next season before there is any hope of him back in first team action.

The one slight advantage for him is at least there is now someone at the club who has suffered 3 ACL injuries in Chris Cohen and come back from them and played again. I'm sure he will be passing on plenty of advice on what worked for him but as we know every human can react differently to the same situation so his career at a professional level will definitely be in the balance at the moment.

He's still a reasonably young man though and I'm sure he'll want to give it another go. Age is a massive factor on how your body recovers and adapts so that is on his side

Really do hope he can make that full recovery to play again. It would be a huge boost to him to resume his career and like having signed a new quality centre back for us.

I think the implications might be more about how his body reacts in later life. I'm certain he *could* come back from 3 ACL injuries but the effect on later life and the advice he receives on what carrying on could mean for it might well affect his decision. Granted sports science has come on a ton since the days of Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter but even so I would have thought this must still come into the thinking about whether to carry on or not..

If it were me, I think, dependent on prognosis, offer a one year contract on current terms, but with options to extend in favour of both parties.

We know that we have an excellent player in Lewis and the club has looked after him in the past two seasons by extending his deal despite the initial (with us) injury. Unless the prognosis from a medical point is very dire I'd be surprised if we offloaded him in the summer. As Impede has said a one year deal with extensions written in should be the way to go.

Personally didn't look the same player after the last ACL, another ACL on top surely won't help that.

I am on the fence about offering a new deal, would be great to see him come back strong and perform for us again like he did in 20/21. Realistically it is a decent wage which is taking up resources without any benefit on the pitch.

I applaud him for trying to get back fit though, just shows how good of a character he is and how mentally strong he is, must have been some dark days.

I think the implications might be more about how his body reacts in later life. I'm certain he *could* come back from 3 ACL injuries but the effect on later life and the advice he receives on what carrying on could mean for it might well affect his decision. Granted sports science has come on a ton since the days of Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter but even so I would have thought this must still come into the thinking about whether to carry on or not..

Absolutely agree with all you say there.

I had 30 years of playing non stop and my body is ravaged. Already had a new left knee and waiting for a new right knee and right hip aswell as undergoing yearly cognitive tests and brain scans not to mention my ankles and my shoulders.

The thing is you don't think about later life when your young and all you want to do is play football. It doesn't even enter your thinking or cross your mind.

Your right though, medical science has moved on in leaps and bounds and the modern day players will have all the consequences of possible ailments in later life from injuries picked up as young player spelt out to them when they have suffered a serious injury.

Football is a physical contact sport though and injuries or not, the majority of people who have played the game for a period of time at whatever level will have some sort of physical issues from playing the game.

I had 30 years of playing non stop and my body is ravaged. Already had a new left knee and waiting for a new right knee and right hip aswell as undergoing yearly cognitive tests and brain scans not to mention my ankles and my shoulders.

The thing is you don't think about later life when your young and all you want to do is play football. It doesn't even enter your thinking or cross your mind.

Your right though, medical science has moved on in leaps and bounds and the modern day players will have all the consequences of possible ailments in later life from injuries picked up as young player spelt out to them when they have suffered a serious injury.

Football is a physical contact sport though and injuries or not, the majority of people who have played the game for a period of time at whatever level will have some sort of physical issues from playing the game.
Completely agree, I've been putting off exploratory surgery on my left knee ligaments since the age of 30, while I can still walk, run, climb the stairs and am (most of the time) pain free I am not putting myself under the knife..

I feel for you Clanford - Had my share of concussion. cartridge op, groin and hamstring pulls, etc, but nothing like you have. Mind you, body’s getting its own back in old age. Feel for Lewis as well - to have three ACLs at such a young age is tough and must be a worry for the lad. Wishing him a complete recovery so he can fulfil his footballing dreams (hopefully with LCFC).

Too right I'm bloody crippled now