Youth - U23 - Loans Thread | Page 140 | Vital Football

Youth - U23 - Loans Thread

I get that part but selling Philogene is a harder one if it's FFP driven, either way I hope we have some strong buy back options as he's looking like he might make the top grade.
Unai wanted him to stay. He wanted to play every week. Its that simple apparently. So this compromise came up. You have to admire him for backing himself if this is all true.

I get that part but selling Philogene is a harder one if it's FFP driven, either way I hope we have some strong buy back options as he's looking like he might make the top grade.
If their chairman is to be believed it's just a price matching deal - we can buy him for £15 mill if they are in the prem and no-one offers more otherwise it's just the highest bidder we'd have to match and see if he fancies coming back. (so not really much of a deal at all tbh)

Unai wanted him to stay. He wanted to play every week. Its that simple apparently. So this compromise came up. You have to admire him for backing himself if this is all true.
And there we have it - Emery sells a player that wasn’t guaranteed a starting spot shocker - players are bought and sold - a slight overreaction by some about a player who decided he wanted to play on regular basis, fair play to him and the club for negotiating a deal they can still benefit from - I’m sure I read he only had 12 months left in his deal aswell.

I suppose before we moan about only getting 5m for Bidace, we should remember City only got 1m for Rodgers, I believe they paid the Baggies far more than that for him, just like we did for Louie Barry who is now a forgotten man

We didn't just get £5m for Bidace, we got £5m plus a buy-back option. Those options, like sell-on clauses, cost money.

And there we have it - Emery sells a player that wasn’t guaranteed a starting spot shocker - players are bought and sold - a slight overreaction by some about a player who decided he wanted to play on regular basis, fair play to him and the club for negotiating a deal they can still benefit from - I’m sure I read he only had 12 months left in his deal aswell.
Yep, spot on. Just like Archer . Not guaranteed a starting spot and wanted to leave. Move on nothing to see here.

We didn't just get £5m for Bidace, we got £5m plus a buy-back option. Those options, like sell-on clauses, cost money.
According to the owner of Hull, we have first refusal should they ever decide to sell him and then only if we match the highest bidder.
That was the only quote I've seen from any club regarding these buy-back clauses, the rest are media speculation.
My guess would be all these buy backs are no more than Villa having first refusal, at the going rate.

I think at the time Bailey wasn't flavour of the month with fans and JPB had enjoyed a good pre-season, so it was a surprise when he was sold.

Bailey's form has taken the edge off it no doubt.

I do think the price was wrong though. £5m is peanuts for a player who was already proven in the Championship and performing well and fitting in at a Premier League team (all be it friendlies).

I think the Morgan Rodgers fee has proven that we let JPB go cheaply, but as said none of us know what other fees are included in the deal such as buy back, sell on, additional payments for acheivements etc..

He does look a good Premier League player in the makig though. Good luck to him.

I think at the time Bailey wasn't flavour of the month with fans and JPB had enjoyed a good pre-season, so it was a surprise when he was sold.

Bailey's form has taken the edge off it no doubt.

I do think the price was wrong though. £5m is peanuts for a player who was already proven in the Championship and performing well and fitting in at a Premier League team (all be it friendlies).

I think the Morgan Rodgers fee has proven that we let JPB go cheaply, but as said none of us know what other fees are included in the deal such as buy back, sell on, additional payments for acheivements etc..

He does look a good Premier League player in the makig though. Good luck to him.
I think you have to look at when you buy from a championship club It is different to selling to one, none of the entrenched Championship sides pay much for players, but when they sell they extract as much as they can from the big boys.
Hence they bought Rogers for 1m and sold for 8M or whatever, If we'd have wanted Rogers directly from City they'd have wanted 20m for him or something silly as they got for Palmer was it 40m?

Elite managers aren’t stupid. The wealth of coaches and development staff working with these players are experienced far beyond anyone on here about these players. If they are good enough to make the grade with us they will be chosen to just like Jack and JJ. It will always be the odd one or two and no more.
If they aren’t they will spend their days in the championship or below and not flying in the premier league just like this lot who were all touted at one stage…Corey Blackett-Taylor, Callum O’Hare, Jake Doyle-Hayes, Harvey Knibbs, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Mitch Clark, Jordan Lyden, Easah Suliman, Harry McKirdy, Andre Green, Daniel Johnson, Callum Robinson….etc..etc .
The club was right about every single one of these in terms of premier league.

Don’t get the hand wringing every season about players we let go. Not as if there are tens of them plying their trade in the premier league currently.

Last edited:
Elite managers aren’t stupid. The wealth of coaches and development staff working with these players are experienced far beyond anyone on here about these players. If they are good enough to make the grade with us they will be chosen to just like Jack and JJ. It will always be the odd one or two and no more.
If they aren’t they will spend their days in the championship or below and not flying in the premier league just like this lot who were all touted at one stage…Corey Blackett-Taylor, Callum O’Hare, Jake Doyle-Hayes, Harvey Knibbs, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Mitch Clark, Jordan Lyden, Easah Suliman, Harry McKirdy, Andre Green, Daniel Johnson, Callum Robinson….etc..etc .

Don’t get the hand wringing every season about players we let go. Not as if there are tens of them plying their trade in the premier league currently.
Barry Bannan has probably had the best run at Sheffield Wednesday where he has become a cult hero, as did Graham Hogg at Huddersfield but I wouldn't have wanted them back either. Gary Cahill went onto Chelsea after spending 4 years at Bolton learning his trade, so we could say we missed out on him but at the time when he was 21 no we didn't unless we wanted him turning us into Bolton for 4 years

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Archer and A Ramsay will make the grade as decent premier league players but ultimately never being good enough to start for us and never being good enough to properly push any of our first teamers.

Russian Hepburn Murphy now there’s an absolute super star we shouldn’t have sold - wonder what he upto now? Maltese league?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Archer and A Ramsay will make the grade as decent premier league players but ultimately never being good enough to start for us and never being good enough to properly push any of our first teamers.
Time will tell.

I think some forget just how miniscule the percentage is that make even a decent career in the top flight. Even those players that were blooded into the first team like Bannan and Green have only made their careers below the top flight . The chances are slim its just the way it is and an elite manager is not going to throw someone in and risk their job or reputation to 'give them a go' and see what happens. They need to know and that comes from the yoof earning the chance at BH . Its not about bottling it either as has been suggested. I think that's massively disrespectful to a manager like Unai to say its bottling it by not including Tim this weekend in the line up. Easy to type though when it ain't your decision to make I suppose.

At AVFC we really don't do anything different with our yoof than others. People point out Citeh and Liverpool as examples of blooding youngsters which is just a barmy comparison given where they are. No-one ever points out Palace or Everton for example do they?.

I have said before that our academy works really well. Not only is it producing the top top players like Jack and JJ but we are creaming the money in for the lower levels like Archer and A Ramsey . No idea what it costs to fund a 10 year old taken in to say... 18yrs but I'd suggest we have secured the academy funding for years with the sales of Jack, AR. Archer alone.

It's the game. Get one or two gems through to the first 11 sell some for decent money and pick up others promising ones ( Rogers) . Seems to be working really well and wasn't it ever like this anyway?.

I've never seen anything in Aaron Ramsey to suggest he'll make it at this level.

I think Chuk, JPB and Archer will.

I think a lot of the hand wringing was giving them away for free, but basically it's only PL clubs that can afford a fee these days.

With the best will in the world had Philogene stayed he would have been third choice right sided player and while he looks the part in the Championship , there is a massive gulf (and getting bigger) in quality between there and the Premier League.
doesn't explain buying Rodgers for a lot more who has done less at Championship level than Philogene and the massive gulf you refer to

doesn't explain buying Rodgers for a lot more who has done less at Championship level than Philogene and the massive gulf you refer to

I would suspect the main reason Morgan Rogers is a Villa player and JPB is a Hull player is due to the latter basically asking to leave.

We wanted him to stay but in reality was he going to start more than Diaby, Bailey, SJM or Ramsey who was expected back within a month or so of the season starting. He wanted to start week in week out and rather than keep a player who might be unhappy we cashed in.