The Farewell Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Farewell Thread

Good interviews but I get the feeling he wanted to say more
He will have another journey to follow for the next 5 months as it is afterall only a loan with an option.

Everything of the best Eric, a good servant of the Club, who at his peak was a very good player. If we were to move Ben on now, there will be a shortage of whipping boys, and Skippy will be getting a torrid time on this site.

You'd think Dier and Davies were the only players ever to be criticised on here.

Richarlison has had it far worse in the time he's been here. At least with players like Dier, Davies, and now Skipp, the criticisms are football-related. With Richarlison it has often been personal. Some of the comments on here have been quite derogatory and started ever before he even appeared in a Spurs shirt.

Young Veliz was called a knob a couple of weeks ago for having the temerity to celebrate his first goal for the club.

This is not a unique phenomenon to Spurs. It happens at every club. Fans take umbrage at criticisms of players they like and yet unabashedly dish it out to players they don't. It goes with the football territory.

You'd think Dier and Davies were the only players ever to be criticised on here.

Richarlison has had it far worse in the time he's been here. At least with players like Dier, Davies, and now Skipp, the criticisms are football-related. With Richarlison it has often been personal. Some of the comments on here have been quite derogatory and started ever before he even appeared in a Spurs shirt.

Young Veliz was called a knob a couple of weeks ago for having the temerity to celebrate his first goal for the club.

This is not a unique phenomenon to Spurs. It happens at every club. Fans take umbrage at criticisms of players they like and yet unabashedly dish it out to players they don't. It goes with the football territory.

When I think about this farewell thread, the following could easily be on it this or subsequent windows.

Whiteman, Austin, Reggie, Spence, Sess, Davies, Tanganga, Lyons-Foster, Rodon, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Tanguy, Gil, Parrott, Perisic, Richi.

For these players, if they get to be on the pitch then us fans have really high expectations. Don't get caught walking back as the ball hits the net. Don't be losing key headers or having clumsy touches. Don't be caught out of position and have no pace to recover. Don't be misplacing passes or not showing for the ball when you're team mate is on it.

I'm enjoying the new standard. Under previous managers the way that Davies, Hoj and Skipp have played may have just about been accepted. Under Ange, there is no way it possibly could be.

For me, it's not personal to any of these guys. There is a spectrum of respect going on though. Davies sits at the top of that list. Tanguy is way adrift at the bottom, on his own.

At one point i reckoned you could be a new Bobby Moore. The awareness you were gaining in midfield i believed would compliment your defending and make you world class. Unfortunately the step back, imo meant you didnt have so much space or time to see the game so clearly.

A big personality, a great servant and we cannot deny you had some real top performances without unfortunately bringing any success. Its overdue for you to leave but you are definately a strong part of the last decade of relative success for Spurs.

Good luck Eric

Ange seems ruthless when it comes to players.
For all of his 'mate' and 'spurs family' he doesn't dick around.
If he wants you gone. You're gone.

Good, that is his job. We have not been ruthless in YEARS....and look where it got us. A house cleaning has been overdue.

Nothing personal against these dudes....it is the business they are in. This is what normal looks like.

Ange needed to signal change, and the best way to do that knowing Kane was going, was also to freeze out Hugo and Eric, as they were the old guard in a leadership sense. Both will be be well remembered for the good years when we came so close.

I guess it's very subtle. I can imagine the optics would have been very different if Ange had also done the same with Hojbjerg and Davies. 4 would have probably been too many and caused too much attention. Ange would have been classed as hard-line if he did that.

He is inevitably managing these 2 seniors out as well on a slightly longer timescale. The outcome will be the same though.

You still have to pinch yourself to think we have 17 or 18 players on the roster that Ange would happily put on the pitch, excluding these 4. Roll back a year and they would have been in every line-up.

After the goodbye message from Dier, a lot of fans have returned to looking at Kane's goodbye. Kane is getting a fair bit of criticism for his not being as genuine as Dier's.

I think that is a little harsh, considering Kane was literally blocked from coming to The Lodge in his last days with us.

After the goodbye message from Dier, a lot of fans have returned to looking at Kane's goodbye. Kane is getting a fair bit of criticism for his not being as genuine as Dier's.

I think that is a little harsh, considering Kane was literally blocked from coming to The Lodge in his last days with us.

lol - perhaps you can point me to a single Kane interview for club or country where he was ever authentic. I never saw one. Total passive aggression.

Dier was nothing but genuine in anything he ever did, including losing the plot and climbing into the stands.

The same can be said for Hugo. Just a genuine guy and superb leader.

lol - perhaps you can point me to a single Kane interview for club or country where he was ever authentic. I never saw one. Total passive aggression.

Dier was nothing but genuine in anything he ever did, including losing the plot and climbing into the stands.

The same can be said for Hugo. Just a genuine guy and superb leader.
Kane would have left the club in the summer of 2021-22 if Levy hadn't held him to his contract. Since then his heart has been on moving elsewhere.

Dier would have signed a new contract this summer if it had been Conte and not Ange who was in charge. His heart has always been with staying with Spurs.

Kane would have left the club in the summer of 2021-22 if Levy hadn't held him to his contract. Since then his heart has been on moving elsewhere.

Dier would have signed a new contract this summer if it had been Conte and not Ange who was in charge. His heart has always been with staying with Spurs.

I'm still wondering whether Dier might end up back in Portugal at some stage. He seemed to have a real connection with Sporting based on what we saw on the documentary. He's not quite ready for that pay cut though.

So Brooklyn Lyons-Foster departed the club today.

Originally, Brooklyn was in that same academy as Luis Binks and Malachi Fagan-Walcott. Binks controversially didn't sign a contract and seemed to get nabbed by Thierry Henry at Toronto in MLS. Fagan-Walcott left in the summer.

As for Brooklyn, he's 23 now and has been playing superbly in the U21's this season. As Meee and others figured out, he couldn't be named in our PL squad because of his age. The only single player that couldn't turn out for the first team even if he wanted to. Ironically, he may have been drafted in by Ange as be plays centre half and we were struggling for a few weeks there.

He now heads out to HJK Helsinki for the next chapter in his career.

This is also another massive opportunity for some young centre halves to step up in the U21's. Phillips is out on loan whilst whilst Dorrington got the hamstring injury curse.

A chance for Charlie Sayers to slot in would be my guess.

This is also another massive opportunity for some young centre halves to step up in the U21's. Phillips is out on loan whilst whilst Dorrington got the hamstring injury curse.

A chance for Charlie Sayers to slot in would be my guess.
Not been overly impressed by Sayers in the games I've seen but then he has often been played at full back. We do seem a bit light on centre backs now in the U21's with Phillips out on loan, Dorrington injured and Lyons-Foster now sold.

After watching the highlights of our under 18’s on a number of occasions this season not sure central defenders are the ones that stand out for the correct reasons. Lad from Leicester absolutely destroyed them last game and if they had taken their chances I hate to think how many more, than the 4 scored, they would have wracked up!!