Loan Watch | Page 40 | Vital Football

Loan Watch

I know we are probably in discussion with Walsall, but as far as we as supporters are concerned there has been nothing definite to say Freddie is coming back to us - just strong speculation and MS hints in interview. There is absolutely no reason why Walsall wouldn’t play him yesterday. We would do the same in their position.
And if the situation were reversed we'd be blood furious as fans if our top scorer was "asked not to be played" on the grounds we "might be recalling him"

Just to stick up for @gijsbert_bos a little bit, I think it might have been a different situation if we had said we were absolutely recalling him on the 2nd.

The way it's going I suspect we aren't going to recall him (as he'd be in the building already)- either leaving it as late as possible as we try to secure other targets (but knowing we'd be better with Freddie than where we are now if we don't sign another focal point). Speculation on my part, but I think he's going to get recalled if 1) injury is serious/not out for just a few weeks 2) we don't sign whoever we're after. Else why has it not already happened?

I agree on the 'might be recalling point above' but Walsall have an alright striker in Danny Johnson who has scored goals and if you knew Draper was absolutely gone at the end of 90 minutes there might be a consideration to play your own player, surely? Especially as we have done Walsall (and Drogheda under the same ownership) a favour with a few players, missing one game against terrible opposition isn't exactly the worst ask or hinted ask of all time (IMO).

Absolutely get they are under no obligation to not play him though. I just think there might have been more chance of him not playing if he was definitely going to be here the following day than if there was a chance he's going to play all season for Walsall and score 20 goals!

Last edited:
Perhaps we just want to see how Draper plays against better defenders (Southampton) before confirming if he is good enough to recall as a 1st choice rather than cover?

We have been missing a 9 since the Sheffield U game.

Wasn’t this break with no fixture the important opportunity for scubala to coach his ideas? If draper was going to be part of that it would have made sense to get him back at the first opportunity. Imo being best prepared for the remaining league one games this season should be a bigger priority for lcfc, than letting draper play for Walsall against Southampton.

that leads me to think someone other than draper is seen as the solution to the 9 problem for this ten days on the training field - most likely moylan.

Oh dear, next you will blame us for starting the war in Ukraine. He couldn't play for us today, the same with Jack Moylan or any other transfer in this window or returning loan. I have never seen an EFL loan agreement that allows termination of it before 2nd January for the obvious reason that you can't play for the club you return to on the 1st January.
I see your post and raise you Oisin Gallagher being in the squad

Wasn’t this break with no fixture the important opportunity for scubala to coach his ideas? If draper was going to be part of that it would have made sense to get him back at the first opportunity. Imo being best prepared for the remaining league one games this season should be a bigger priority for lcfc, than letting draper play for Walsall against Southampton.

that leads me to think someone other than draper is seen as the solution to the 9 problem for this ten days on the training field - most likely moylan.
5-3-2 Moylan plus a slightly more experienced forward (based on chat in other thread and my half baked theories). Team like Monday but you swap Adelakun for Moylan and Makama for an out and out 9 with a bit more experience.

(Not sure that would fit well with the Taylor link tho)

That's interesting, and very hard to argue against.

Draper's goalscoring record at Walsall - even allowing for L2 standards - suggests he would be more effective than anyone else we have available.

Perhaps with Draper we have waited for A) the extent of his injury to be assessed and/or B) as they've done a very good job with him we've made a gentlemen's agreement previously to allow him to play in the Cup at Southampton.
He could of course not be coming back

Draper said a couple of weeks ago how much he was looking for to playing against Southampton, so I never expected him to be recalled until Monday anyway.

I just hope there is no replay. Then its a simple decision. Bring him back.

Damn, you got me. Looks like we screwed up and Freddie is trapped in the West Midlands for eternity.
Clive, I feel I must apologise for the ignorance of some my fellow supporters. Some have just acquired the skills of typing, but have yet to acquire the skill of engaging their brain before they do so.
Thank you for engaging and all that you do - I’m sure like me, the vast majority appreciate that we have one of best chairman and board in the country

Last edited:
On the assumption the Fish didnt crock Freddie too badly he will no doubt be in the FA Cup Walsall side this weekend with TV exposure somewhere or other, if he does well, more £s on his resale value in the future. ( shame so many Premiership sides are playing each other so early in the Competition , should seed the Third Round and see how it works ).

Clive, I feel I must apologise for the ignorance of some my fellow supporters. Some have just acquired the skills of typing, but have yet to acquire the skill of engaging their brain before they do so.
Thank you for engaging and all that you do - I’m sure like me, the vast majority appreciate that we have one of best chairman and board in the country
Didn't even need any thinking in this case - just reading!