The Unai Emery Thread | Page 187 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

i had the displeasure of meeting Martin Samuels a few years back, he was staying at our hotel in Tenerife , could of sworn he was Chelsea , might have been some of his offspring though
(i don't read The Mail honestly)

I have to say I am caught between feeling like this is all too good to be true and letting it all go to my head.

We certainly look like Champions Lge. contenders right now and its not unreasonable to suggest we haven't even fielded our strongest possible XI this year. The last few games have been strange and it feels like the sucker punch is waiting. I am going into games not really worried. Even the Palace game and the home game vs. Mostar, I just expected us to win.

It wasn't that long ago if you pressed us high we struggled to keep the ball and get out of our half. If you stood off us we could do nothing to you either. Now teams know what we're going to do and don't know how to stop it.

This just seems like excellent management. Keeping us as fans level headed about where we are. Its not too harsh on the players either but it challenges those who want to be challenged and to succeed. I also feel like its designed to try keep us out of the spotlight so we're not going into games with pressure to win.

“Today was a key moment, if we could really be a contender to be in the top seven teams and we lost the opportunity,” Emery said. “I believe in the players, I know they can but we have to be very demanding. We can’t concede chances like we did today.

“If we want to be in the top seven teams we have to try to reduce the mistakes we made today.

“The key moment in 38 matches is every match. Today was a key moment to take some distance with the other teams and get in the top-four positions but we lost this opportunity, now the next match against Fulham next week is a challenge and it is again a key moment.”

I know this won't go down well and I feel dirty saying it as Unai has earn't the right to be above all criticism, but is anyone else getting bored or his press conferences?

If I keep hearing him saying we need to be demanding and focused and together with our fans and be demanding and demand focus, and demand from our fans togetherness to create something special and focused and demanding then I think I may rip my ears off.

It's getting to the point he could just record one interview and play it pre and post match every week.

Sorry Unai. Love you. 😘

Just thought actually, on a serious note, is it a worry that the players may eventually stop listening if he's saying the same things to them all the time?

I know this won't go down well and I feel dirty saying it as Unai has earn't the right to be above all criticism, but is anyone else getting bored or his press conferences?

If I keep hearing him saying we need to be demanding and focused and together with our fans and be demanding and demand focus, and demand from our fans togetherness to create something special and focused and demanding then I think I may rip my ears off.

It's getting to the point he could just record one interview and play it pre and post match every week.

Sorry Unai. Love you. 😘

Just thought actually, on a serious note, is it a worry that the players may eventually stop listening if he's saying the same things to them all the time?
Maybe but it hasn't seemed to be a problem at his other clubs.

I think behind closed doors it's a different story , most managers at these press conferences say a lot without saying anything at all. I would think all of them see them as a necessary evil.

Sorry Unai. Love you. 😘

Did you ever play those football manager games where you have to give a press conference after the games. You used to get 3 or 4 options of things you could say.

A journalist made the (reasonable) point that Emery doesn't work in soundbites - he works at length and in detail and his long-form sit-down interviews are uniquely insightful in total opposition to his post-match 30 second responses.

is it a worry that the players may eventually stop listening if he's saying the same things to them all the time?
I guess the unai we see bears little relation to the gaffer in team meetings. I agree that I don't hear much inspiring talk in his media stuff, and find him difficult to follow - but he clearly gets his point across very effectively where it matters.

We pick ourselves up and go again?

We are just a nice bunch of honest lads?

I still can't believe we actually had Steve Bruce as our manager. How embarrassing.

We pick ourselves up and go again?

We are just a nice bunch of honest lads?

I still can't believe we actually had Steve Bruce as our manager. How embarrassing.
Sometimes, 🎼 The road is long with many a winding road 🎼. Brucie, Deano, Gerrard and now Emery

A journalist made the (reasonable) point that Emery doesn't work in soundbites - he works at length and in detail and his long-form sit-down interviews are uniquely insightful in total opposition to his post-match 30 second responses.
Yeah could be part and parcel of the same journos asking him the same questions every week and sometimes he has to answer the same question 3 times in 7 days.

Sometimes an insightful response comes from the question. Maybe if a journo put in one 20 hour day to understand Unai and what he is asking of the players we might get an interesting presser once in a while.

Yeah could be part and parcel of the same journos asking him the same questions every week and sometimes he has to answer the same question 3 times in 7 days.

Sometimes an insightful response comes from the question. Maybe if a journo put in one 20 hour day to understand Unai and what he is asking of the players we might get an interesting presser once in a while.
What interesting question can you ask a manager at a presser? ‘What did you have for breakfast this morning?” “Did you shag the missus last night?”

It’s all the same bollox that we all chat about on here, no real insight, just footballing generalisations.