A-Z Places in Song Titles | Vital Football

A-Z Places in Song Titles

Lindum

Vital Football Hero
I lived in Durham for a short while- very pleasant, although I did eventually leave it, for work-related reasons . Never saw a ship - can only remember seeing a few rowing boats! By the way, it's a city (and has a big cathedral), situated on the River Wear ... but that doesn't rhyme!
----------------------------------------------------

Alternative "C" - CASABLANCA Moon by Anglo-German experimental pop group Slapp Happy (1974). Clip on YouTube.
-----------------------------------------------------

E ENGLAND swings - hit single for Roger Miller, US country singer (1965). Clip on YouTube. Not to be confused with Roger Milla, who played football for Cameroon in three World Cups (1982,1986, and 1990).

Last edited:
Alternate E, England and one I have - 'There'll Always Be An England', Vera Lynn always brings tears to my eyes. Clip on YouTube.

G GALVESTON- Hit single for Glen Campbell (1969). Clip on YouTube .The song, about the town in Texas, was written by Jimmy Webb and the original version had a more openly anti-war message.

G GALVESTON- Hit single for Glen Campbell (1969). Clip on YouTube .The song, about the town in Texas, was written by Jimmy Webb and the original version had a more openly anti-war message.
I didn't know that, Mike. Interesting read on Wiki under 'Galveston (song)' about changes in lyrics, tempo and presentation.

Never been there.
--------------------

I INDIANA wants me - 1970 UK hit single for Canadian singer-songwriter R. Dean Taylor. He also had a UK hit with "Gotta see Jane".

K - 'How Can You Buy Killarney?' Written in 1948 by Ted Steels and others. Covered by Bing Crosby, Josef Locke and many others.

L Streets Of LONDON - made famous by Ralph McTell but sang in every folk club every week through the 70's. I actually think Ralph wrote another verse during Covid to the song but can't seem to find it so may have just imagined that.

Alternative "J" .... JERUSALEM - based on a poem by William Blake, music by Sir Herbert Parry (1916). Many versions of this song/hymn/anthem have been recorded , including by rock band Emerson, Lake and Palmer in the 1970s (Clip on YouTube).

Alternative "L" - LONDON calling by the Clash. Title track of the album released in 1979. All time classsic, still often heard on the radio, on jukeboxes, at football grounds , etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M MOZAMBIQUE - song by Bob Dylan. Track on the album "Desire" (1976). Clip on YouTube

Last edited:
L Streets Of LONDON - made famous by Ralph McTell but sang in every folk club every week through the 70's. I actually think Ralph wrote another verse during Covid to the song but can't seem to find it so may have just imagined that.
A link to the covid new verse is attached, Caz.