Premier League Match Thread: Arsenal Vs Nottingham Forest, Sponsored by... Erm... Absolutely no one, again. | Page 23 | Vital Football

Premier League Match Thread: Arsenal Vs Nottingham Forest, Sponsored by... Erm... Absolutely no one, again.

Yep we have to cover for injuries

Thats huge fookin progress Pope!!

This time last season we didn't even have starters who had any clue how to get results at this level

So we need another Danilo - who himself had to learn quickly last season

We need another Awoniyi

We need another keeper IMO

We need Felipe back fit - but at least it wasn't disastrous without him

Far less problems to solve than last season Pope

Maybe 2 or 3 loans in to come?
Need quality permanently. Something to build on next season

Our best players can't be loans, and they can't be in the most expensive positions.

A loan is just another player you lose in the summer.

We know we are going to lose a couple next summer- Awoniyi and MGW very possible, plus Brennan if we don't lose him this summer. Any loans are just more losses.

It's alright to lose a left back on loan but you don't want a key midfielder going

I remind you that you do have a tendency to overoptimism.

You thought we might push on for Europe last season

Much as I actually like him and his attitude I don't want him.

Hes a distraction. He muddies the waters. I don't see a role for him

Him coming into the team knocked us off track last season

Our best games were without him involved

(Ps he has some kind of muscle strain)

You can apply that theory to the following:

Wood
McKenna
Williams
Dennis
Shelvey
O'Brien
Freuler
Johnson
Toffolo

All of these players, in some part last season, had a positive effect on results and performance by not playing.

And this :ROFLMAO:

What striker do we buy to cover Awoniyi?

Let's not bother then

Our best players can't be loans, and they can't be in the most expensive positions.

We know we are going to lose a couple next summer- Awoniyi and MGW very possible, plus Brennan if we don't lose him this summer. Any loans are just more losses.

It's alright to lose a left back on loan but you don't want a key midfielder going

Loans can have a role every season

Quality of players we need. Some to be back up they may be the only option

Are we bringing a keeper in to be first team or back up?

Is there a striker in the world better at what we need than Awoniyi?

And if so how much does he cost?

(I would sign Ihneacho from Leicester. But he would be back up and 20 minute cameo roles and only start when Awoniyi is injured. IMO)

Does he want that?

Well, we have kept the vast majority of last seasons important players, some of whom you would expect to have a level improvement in them; you would also expect the collective continuity to bring a little improvement.

I dont see anything wrong with the expectation level of the points we achieve, either; there were a good few games last season were we threw points away - Wolves home and away, Everton away, Bournemouth at Home - there's 10 points all down to individual fuck ups.

We also got caught out with injuries in key positions which ended up costing us points; that is still a huge concern in my view.

The fact that we haven’t signed any loans yet is telling. Last season we had Hendo, Bade, Lodi and Navas but other than another loan for Hendo, it’s gone silent on that front.

I can only presume we are waiting it out til the last few days to see who is available.

You can apply that theory to the following:

Wood
McKenna
Williams
Dennis
Shelvey
O'Brien
Freuler
Johnson
Toffolo

All of these players, in some part last season, had a positive effect on results and performance by not playing.
Wood
Mckenna
Williams
Toffolo

Can still contribute IMO

Assuming they are still here? Did we already sell Toffolo?

Williams looked way better end of last season before his injury

Johnson will either contribute by Cooper finding a role that can work for us or by funding more players (maybe in a swap deal with a bigger club)

Last edited:
The fact that we haven’t signed any loans yet is telling. Last season we had Hendo, Bade, Lodi and Navas but other than another loan for Hendo, it’s gone silent on that front.

I can only presume we are waiting it out til the last few days to see who is available.
Or it means Ross Wilson is shite and not up to it.

We'll see

Well, we have kept the vast majority of last seasons important players, some of whom you would expect to have a level improvement in them; you would also expect the collective continuity to bring a little improvement.

I dont see anything wrong with the expectation level of the points we achieve, either; there were a good few games last season were we threw points away - Wolves home and away, Everton away, Bournemouth at Home - there's 10 points all down to individual fuck ups.

We also got caught out with injuries in key positions which ended up costing us points; that is still a huge concern in my view.
We should be aiming for a ten point increase into the realms of midtable obscurity.

Given some of the opposition we will face and a bit of improvement I think we could get at least that.

My Europe thread was taking the piss

I don't even think we could do it this season

Let alone when starting in a relegation zone and doomed form

We aren't miracle workers any more

And don't even want it for a couple of seasons at least

It's too disruptive to Premier League results

(Pope. Lol. You had us definitely relegated at least 3 if not 4 times!)

My Europe thread was taking the piss

I don't even think we could do it this season

And don't even want it for a couple of seasons at least

It's too disruptive to Premier League results

(Pope. Lol. You had us definitely relegated at least 3 if not 4 times!)
Hell yes.

We ran out of home games.

We left ourselves needing wins against Brighton, Southampton and Arsenal with only one of those being viable, plus at least a couple of points away at tough teams, and we hadn't done that in months

Did you see the Brighton and Arsenal wins coming in March?

Or it means Ross Wilson is shite and not up to it.

We'll see
That’s the worry. I do think he can only be judged at the end of the window but at present the jury is very much still out.

I make it 5 players that we need - keeper, centre back, left back, defensive midfielder and forward. My guess is we end up with another left back on loan. Maybe Maatsen…?

That’s the worry. I do think he can only be judged at the end of the window but at present the jury is very much still out.

I make it 5 players that we need - keeper, centre back, left back, defensive midfielder and forward. My guess is we end up with another left back on loan. Maybe Maatsen…?
I don't know that we do need a centre back. If we can get one that's an improvement on what we have then great.
The 3 that played yesterday defended well and against lesser opposition would do fine, and that's with our two best missing.

Must admit I find it funny that there are still the rumours about Che Adams who is nowhere near the player Iheanacho is.

I don't know that we do need a centre back. If we can get one that's an improvement on what we have then great.
The 3 that played yesterday defended well and against lesser opposition would do fine, and that's with our two best missing.
I get the feeling though that McKenna will be let go and it looks like we are bringing Nelsson in. Although whether he is coming in as a centre back or convincing him to play in midfield is a different matter.