The January Transfer Window 2023 | Page 100 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Window 2023

It's very early in Unai's reign but he currently has 2.17ppg, which in the form table takes us to 5th.

While I'm not suggesting he can maintain this forever with the current players, it does show that our current spending rate, however misguided or successful is in the ball park. I don't see us spending massive amounts on multiple players and I don't think that's Unai's MO. He'll continue to pick off a Moreno for £13m (where-ever he see's value) and maybe a Pau Torres occasionally. He's definitely not a cheque book manager as he also recognises the baggage that comes with a Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe type signing. We don't want or need prima-donna's who are as interested in their marketing income, he'll have a load of hard working professionals that buy into the ethos.

Potentially we'll finally have the "Villa Way" they've been spouting on about for the last 5 years and the freshness will come from the youth set up as they invest more in this area. Look at the successful teams in the PL, they all had a strong long term spine from Terry, Lampard and Drogba to Adams, Vierra and Henry. Manure had similar.

We've got Kamara (definitely fits the bill), potentially Diego Carlos and need a beast up front (which could just be Duran). I like what we're doing in the market and don't see the need to chuck money away like Manure or Chelsea who are chasing immediate success and changing managers at the drop of a hat.

Interesting times for us I feel, but we need more than 6 games and a January transfer window to achieve our potential. I've no idea what our potential could be under Unai Emery but it would be very nice to compete for top 4 and a few cups.

It's very early in Unai's reign but he currently has 2.17ppg, which in the form table takes us to 5th.

While I'm not suggesting he can maintain this forever with the current players, it does show that our current spending rate, however misguided or successful is in the ball park. I don't see us spending massive amounts on multiple players and I don't think that's Unai's MO. He'll continue to pick off a Moreno for £13m (where-ever he see's value) and maybe a Pau Torres occasionally. He's definitely not a cheque book manager as he also recognises the baggage that comes with a Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe type signing. We don't want or need prima-donna's who are as interested in their marketing income, he'll have a load of hard working professionals that buy into the ethos.

Potentially we'll finally have the "Villa Way" they've been spouting on about for the last 5 years and the freshness will come from the youth set up as they invest more in this area. Look at the successful teams in the PL, they all had a strong long term spine from Terry, Lampard and Drogba to Adams, Vierra and Henry. Manure had similar.

We've got Kamara (definitely fits the bill), potentially Diego Carlos and need a beast up front (which could just be Duran). I like what we're doing in the market and don't see the need to chuck money away like Manure or Chelsea who are chasing immediate success and changing managers at the drop of a hat.

Interesting times for us I feel, but we need more than 6 games and a January transfer window to achieve our potential. I've no idea what our potential could be under Unai Emery but it would be very nice to compete for top 4 and a few cups.
Exactly this. There's so much cause for optimism as long as there's a bit of patience!

Yes I've seen the link to the Birmingham Mail and how much they know was shown yesterday when Lee Preece said he couldn't see Ings being sold until the summer !!!!!
If only we'd bought him from Fulham instead of Ross McGateface. Think I posted that at the time that we should have bought the other fella....hey ho

I honestly don't understand why we'd let Ings go if we've hot nobody lined up.

Who are you gonna get in on loan that's an improvement on Ings who has just scored 5 goals in 9 games?

Smacks of penny pinching.

giphy.gif

I reckon a deal must be in place for someone already.
Selling one your two strikers before you have someone locked in weakens any bargaining position.

Sadly not if you've heard today's presser.

The deal was to good to decline - but patience in Ings replacement search. Also says that Duran isn't the Ings replacement.

I honestly don't understand why we'd let Ings go if we've hot nobody lined up.

Who are you gonna get in on loan that's an improvement on Ings who has just scored 5 goals in 9 games?

Smacks of penny pinching.

Not if you read this thread 😀

But you've also made multiple posts talking about lack of funds, backing etc and complaining that we're not spending enough. I just think any of these sorts of criticisms are massive premature.

My thoughts are Emery wants players he knows and the pool of players he would have been able to bring to Villareal is from the bargain lot. Good solid professionals who are maybe underappreciated as well as players like Duran who have future potential to be sold for multiples of the fee. Then theres probably a small list that Villareal kept tabs on but couldnt afford unless something changed.

Just a further instance of Sky Sports obsession with the Sky 6/Newcastle bias- any of these teams sign a player it's page after page on their transfer centre, asking for opinions from fans about the signing or who they should sign blah blah blah etc etc etc. They even have a section for each of these teams with transfer news!
We sell Danny Ings and some idiot writes a piece on " how Villa may regret selling Ings "
It's not even discreet anymore but blatant. God help them if little old us ever gatecrash the party as I'm sure they'll all just spontaneously combust 🔥🔥🔥
In the words of Kammy ( well almost) " unfuckingbelievable Jeff "

Just a further instance of Sky Sports obsession with the Sky 6/Newcastle bias- any of these teams sign a player it's page after page on their transfer centre, asking for opinions from fans about the signing or who they should sign blah blah blah etc etc etc. They even have a section for each of these teams with transfer news!
We sell Danny Ings and some idiot writes a piece on " how Villa may regret selling Ings "
It's not even discreet anymore but blatant. God help them if little old us ever gatecrash the party as I'm sure they'll all just spontaneously combust 🔥🔥🔥
In the words of Kammy ( well almost) " unfuckingbelievable Jeff "

Cause and effect mate.