The Danny Ings Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

The Danny Ings Thread

I'm not sure it's such a drama as some are making out.

His time with us has been very so so imho.

The best part of his time with us was his surprise announcement which caught us completely off guard. He's simply never fitted in with what successive managers have wanted to do and attempting to shoehorn him in alongside Watkins was one of the reasons Smith lost his job.

I would expect us to bring in another striker to replace him though.

I'm happy to see him go. He is a 31-year-old striker whose style is one-dimensional and doesn't seem to fit in with the changes in modern tactics and certainly the speed and closing down that now is the norm.

I am personally happy to see him and his high salary off the books at Aston Villa and I'm glad West Ham are desperate enough to give us money for him that can be better spent.

Unai Emery is no fool and if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me.

No drama. For me I think we've wasted him. He's a good striker and we didn't get the best out of him mainly because we didn't give him any long regular runs in the team.

It's a shame but it happens, some players just don't fit some clubs/managers.

It definitely leaves us light up top though. We need to bring someone in with Ings and Archer gone.

Watkins has more of the "characteristics" that Emery wants from his striker though. I agree he is so so as well but suits Emery at the moment. I'm pretty sure we will be looking for an upgrade though.

Again I agree.

I haven't given up on Olly quite yet - and still hope Emery can get him firing.

But it's nice to have a guy with a decent scoring record as an option until the season ends.

Agreed.

But no quite as so so as our remaining striker.

Not sure how that's possible to be honest. Ings scored 7 goals last season, missed a hat full of very good chances and was overall pretty poor. He's been better this year but still contributes little outside of the odd good pass or tap in.

Tbh mate you need to get out of the mindset that we are somehow short of money. Miles ahead with FFP after selling Grealish and this is more about shaping the squad to what Emery wants than anything else.

Whatever.

We are selling before we buy though

Sounds like common sense deal to me. I assume this isn’t done on the strength of Duran being the replacement.

He's doing the negotiating on these as well - blimey

It's a fairly pathetic price from our pair of clowns purslow & lange
Why what do you expect? 20m 30m? Unai doesn't rate him that's obvious, too slow for his style I expect. Plus we have no idea what fees we are getting,.