Annual Accounts | Page 4 | Vital Football

Annual Accounts

True. It helped us massively back then.

It also makes correct recruitment now. without the cap, more difficult but also even more critical.
We can't afford more poor windows without addressing our main issues.

But doesn't this also highlight the problems facing the recruitment department. We can't just look to pick up a Barry Bannen type midfielder as those kind of wages will cripple the club. This is why we are looking at younger players who initially cost less and just might have that re-sale value a couple of seasons ahead. Easy to say get this player or that player but the books, as evidenced here and no doubt with other clubs accounts (should they be so transparent and publish them...some don't) need to be balanced.

We can survive in this league other clubs similar to us have done so and potentially without being bank rolled. However, to do that you have to be on point in all departments. You have to be lean but still have the same outputs. Unearthing those gems (recruitment) is key to all this to enable the club to get at least two years productive service out of a permanent signing and then sell.

Although the use of the loan markets has its benefits it also has disadvantages in so far as you can’t build your own team. For example, loan players going back to parent clubs at the season end. This creates issues in finding the same for the next season, when, ideally with your own players you would be looking for one or two to build on what you already have, in terms of players and on method in the style of play. Easy for me to say as it all costs.

I do hope the board and significant investors don’t decide we have reached our ceiling in terms of attendances, infrastructure, commercial revenues to progress the club.

Moreover, I hope they know in how much esteem they are held. These are unchartered waters of where the club is now, certainly in my time (75/76) both on and off the pitch. Let’s hope the stars align on the LNER turf and we are on point sooner rather than later.

But a hell of a lot more of a level playing field than we currently find ourselves in this season.

Yes and that is the point in what I was making.

If we can't compete with teams financially and buy off the peg players then we have to find different solutions.

To do that we have to have good recruiter's that work in tandem with the coach and his staff. The coach decides tactics and pattern of play and he tells the recruitment team this is what I am looking for see if you can find this or that sort of player.

You don't need to be spending millions or even hundreds of thousands but you probably need a bit of luck and the stars to align but there are nearly 1000 players released by clubs at the end of each season not to mention all those playing in non league and those who are up for loan from the EPL and EFL.

There are plenty of players out there it's just finding the right ones for your team and that obviously fit into your financial bracket.

Both the recruitment team and the coach are important in this but the coach always has to have the final say.

It's his team, his tactics and his neck on the line at the end of the day.

But doesn't this also highlight the problems facing the recruitment department. We can't just look to pick up a Barry Bannen type midfielder as those kind of wages will cripple the club. This is why we are looking at younger players who initially cost less and just might have that re-sale value a couple of seasons ahead. Easy to say get this player or that player but the books, as evidenced here and no doubt with other clubs accounts (should they be so transparent and publish them...some don't) need to be balanced.

Of course it does highlight problems recruitment team is facing.
That's what I meant in that ,,more difficult" bit..

Never said books doesn't need to be balanced.
Bottom line though stays the same. Like it or not but getting right players is even more critical now.
When you don't have money to burn like some clubs have you need your recruitment to be spot on as much as possible to be able to compete.
You need your recruitment team to deliver more than ever. Plenty of clubs in the same boat as us.

I think Colby Bishop moved to Portsmouth for a fee more than combined total for those six mentioned players. Plus Accrington don't have a recruitment team and DOF to pay for.

Bishops fee was undisclosed, so I'm not sure where that comes from?

What’s the point without ambition though?
We should have ambition to do better. We should give the paying public exciting football to watch - win or lose. We should introduce young talent and develop them as saleable assets.
This has ti be done sustainably, and that’s a bit of a balancing act.
We currently can’t see where a win will come from, nor players that can entertain. This is not irreversible, but a lot hinges on the next two transfer windows. I’d happily take a 18th place finish if it produced entertaining football, talent being nurtured, and small improvements that show ambition. Not saying these things, with a healthier league position, won’t happen, it’s just hard to see how it will happen at this point in time. If we do resign ourselves as being unable to compete with ‘bigger’ clubs, then we will inevitably slip down the pyramid. You have to believe in yourself and your ambitions, but pursue them sensibly. We seem to have stalled over the last 2-3 seasons, and that is worrying to some.

We as a club aren't sustainable in League 1, it's costing us (or the board to be more precise) £2m to be in it this year. It's cost us what? £10m over the last 5 years to get to this point? Take away the unbelievable investment from the board for absolutely zero financial return and where would we be?

We can do all sorts of things, we can be as smart as we can be but we are in a resource dogfight with around 35 or 40 clubs who want pretty much the same players we are looking for and are willing to spend at least as much time and effort as we are in ensure that they can get them. Some of these clubs have been doing it for a lot longer than we have been since, let's say, 2018? We had the financial firepower in the conference to assemble a fantastic team without the need for in-depth recruitment and analysis. Our managers knew exactly the best players in those positions we were lacking and went out and got them.

We are almost certainly not at the absolute pinnacle, cutting edge of recruitment best practice but the players we have acquired and sold since 2016 shows a steady and consistent trend that we can identify targets and sell on at least a decent proportion of them for good money. Do they all work out like that? Of course not, not least because some of them are bought to fulfil a role in the squad and we have no expectation to move them on for large sums of money. (Charles Vernam fits the bill here?) they are there to do a job while we continue the search to find the gem that will provide us with that in their position.

Progress in football is very rarely a straight line and I think we need to look at a much broader view than just the here and now...

We as a club aren't sustainable in League 1, it's costing us (or the board to be more precise) £2m to be in it this year. It's cost us what? £10m over the last 5 years to get to this point? Take away the unbelievable investment from the board for absolutely zero financial return and where would we be?

We can do all sorts of things, we can be as smart as we can be but we are in a resource dogfight with around 35 or 40 clubs who want pretty much the same players we are looking for and are willing to spend at least as much time and effort as we are in ensure that they can get them. Some of these clubs have been doing it for a lot longer than we have been since, let's say, 2018? We had the financial firepower in the conference to assemble a fantastic team without the need for in-depth recruitment and analysis. Our managers knew exactly the best players in those positions we were lacking and went out and got them.

We are almost certainly not at the absolute pinnacle, cutting edge of recruitment best practice but the players we have acquired and sold since 2016 shows a steady and consistent trend that we can identify targets and sell on at least a decent proportion of them for good money. Do they all work out like that? Of course not, not least because some of them are bought to fulfil a role in the squad and we have no expectation to move them on for large sums of money. (Charles Vernam fits the bill here?) they are there to do a job while we continue the search to find the gem that will provide us with that in their position.

Progress in football is very rarely a straight line and I think we need to look at a much broader view than just the here and now...

It would be a big help if we could bring through some home grown talent, in recent years we’ve not seen many modern day John Wards or Phil Hubbards becoming successful first teamers after starting their career in our youth scheme……

It is exciting to think we may well have some new investors to join the already fantastic people we have on the clubs board.

Sadly, I don't think many clubs are with the way football finances are these days.

Not at all. A little surprised that what was advertised as a mutual parting of the ways cost us, that’s all.

it was I suspect if he was outright sacked it would have been more expensive. He has a long contract it has a value to him and a cost to us. He wanted out but he could have waited until he was sacked. Who blinked first. A settlement is a professional and mature way to handle it.

Given todays news if MA wasn’t already a millionaire before he joined us I suspect he is now given his had 2 lay offs in 7 months. Who says failure is a bad word. Sometimes it pays