What team would you field v Leicester? | Vital Football

What team would you field v Leicester?

gills69

Vital Squad Member
I actually feel sorry for Neil Harris as I'm struggling to suggest a best starting XI.

He has the advantage over me in that he knows the current fitness of Baggott, Lee and Walker and also whether Morris and others will still be at the club come Saturday.

The best I can come up with is a 5-3-2 with:

Morris

McKenzie - Wright - Ehmer- Baggott -Tutonda

O'Keefe - Jefferies - Adelakun

Mandron - Kashket

There's two or three in that XI that I'd happily replace, for ever, after the Leicester game but given what we've currently got I'm hoping that if they can play to their best we'd not disgrace ourselves too badly.

Other thoughts/suggestions?

This was the team that pipped Brentford in the 13 goal thriller...
Turner McKenzie, Law, Wright, Baggott, Jefferies, Adelakun, O'Keefe, Williams, Green, Walker

Probably too much to ask for our goal to lead a charmed life for another 90 mins and the same players forget their league form.

Last edited:
This was the team that pipped Brentford in the 13 goal thriller...
Turner McKenzie, Law, Wright, Baggott, Jefferies, Adelakun, O'Keefe, Williams, Green, Walker

Probably to much to ask for our goal to lead a charmed life for another 90 mins and the same players forget their league form.
Walker has been injured since that Dagenham cup match where the lad scythed him down and got sent off. I think we’ve missed him as an alternative option to Mandron even if he isn’t really a goal threat either.

Morris

McKenzie - Wright - Ehmer- Baggott -Tutonda

O'Keefe - Jefferies - Adelakun

Mandron - Kashket

Agree with most of that, but for me:

Morris

Wright - Ehmer- Baggott -Tutonda

Mackenzie- Macdonald - O'Keefe - Jefferies - Adelakun

Kashket

I would set us up in the way we played against and frustrated Brentford, reducing them to 2/3 really good chances through the 90 minutes and a handful of decent chances throughout (and even fewer as the match went on). I do not like our negative line-ups, tactics and set-ups when we play our peers, but against Prem teams it's spot on and worked v Leicester and almost worked v Wolves.

It is a 4-5-1 when attacking, but 6-3-1 when defending with Alelakun and Mackenzlie slotting in next to the back four, which I expect to be the case for most of the game and which is what we did at Brentford. I may have gone for Walker, if fit, as we did at Brentford, but am sicked an tired of Mandron. He offers little in the air or physically for his size and little more on the deck. I'd sooner use Kashket as the sole runner. He's lightning, puts himself about and, whilst he likes a dive, gives us a chances for a penalty which may be as good a chance of any of us getting a goal. Against Bretford, without Mandron on the pitch we didn't really use hoofball too much and the few times we got forward we used the wings, which was a good outlet to relieve the pressure and ultimately got us our goal.

We don't score many or win many, so it would be typical of us to do it on Saturday when it's completely unexpected, but equally for a team so poor and so lowly, we seldom get thrashed and I think it's more likely that that rarity occurs on Saturday!

A interesting question.
Given the loan deal renewal or otherwise and the possibility of signing a player or two that could be eligible the selection could be interesting.
I would guess there will be less choice not more by the weekend.
So to hazard a guess.
Turner
McKenzie Ehmer Wright Tudonda
Jefferies Williams O'Keefe McDonald
Mandron Kashket
That is assuming Harris is still in charge and most if not all of the loans return to their clubs. Most of the new players will not be eligible. I can see the squad being very thin on the ground in a effort to change as many players as possible this month.

I’d drop Wright, lost his man in the lead up to the Sutton goal and at fault for the goal yesterday at Stevenage. I’d recall Chambers and replace him for Williams, pair Mckenzie with Ehmer and bring in Alexander who I thought was putting in his best performances before being dropped.

I’d drop Wright, lost his man in the lead up to the Sutton goal and at fault for the goal yesterday at Stevenage. I’d recall Chambers and replace him for Williams, pair Mckenzie with Ehmer and bring in Alexander who I thought was putting in his best performances before being dropped.

Wright just doesn’t look like a defender to me. Sometimes I think he could play in midfield, but he’s too inconsistent on the ball (like the whole squad, to be fair). The free kick that sailed over everyone should alone result in him being dropped.

Fielding a few youth players and young professionals should be the response of the manager. But given the pressure NH is under I can't see it happening. However given the question was "who would you play?". I would definitely say bring I would bring in a few teenagers definitely into the squad if not the starting line up.