Match Thread: Nottingham Forest Vs Chelsea, sponsored by Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Nottingham Forest Vs Chelsea, sponsored by Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz

It's an unacceptable result, but most will be thinking it's great.
How is it ‘unacceptable?’ This isn’t the Chelsea that we put 7 past 30 years ago. This is the multi-trophy winning, Champions League regulars that we have just taken a point from.

I have no problem thinking we could and possibly should have got more but calling it ‘unacceptable’ is ridiculous. How many of us would have taken a point from this at the start of the season?

Really, really enjoyed that game. Didn't think I would, but I'm loving the Premier League and I want us to stay. It's not grim or miserable at all when you get performances like that.

It is an absolute fucking joy to watch our players diving into tackles, winning duels all over the place, stealing the ball all over the pitch and causing a £300m team problems. Chelsea were well and truly rattled in that second half. These were reigning champions league winners just last season, but they were made to really look nothing special by Forest.

Yes, we were too timid first half, gave them too much respect and werent brave enough with the press. The result was that they had 70%+ possession. But this was worthless possession. It was their centre halves passing endlessly around the back line, failing to find a pass into midfield or move it between zones.

We should have had the lead early but Johnson fluffed a chance we would have buried last season. They then scored a really, really lucky goal. Even from the Trent End you could see it was a gift, bouncing off the bar straight to Sterling's right foot.

They didn't have a chance of note again until Aubameyang, one of the best strikers of his generation in the world, failed to connect with a header late on.

Second half we came straight out and were easily the better team. Awoniyi ran them ragged at times and was a superb fulcrum. MGW caused them loads of problems but the midfield, flying into the tackles and recycling the ball quickly, made a huge difference.

MGW was really unlucky to hit the bar, Johnson shot when a sidefoot to Taiwo would have left a tap in, Cucurella cleared one off the line... We could and should have won this. We made Chelsea look average, just as we did to Liverpool.

A few words on individuals.

Nothing to say about Henderson, who had nothing to do, although kicking it out for a throw in over and over again isn't really good enough.

Worrall- has started to really step up and I am so pleased for him. Made it look easy against Havertz and Mount for most of the game, really on it.

Boly was superb, possibly my MOTM. He looks so assured, at one point he had the ball and seemed to be taking the piss out of their attacking players. He made it all look so easy, and got the assist by winning a header against Kai Havertz; a world class header of the ball.

Serge Aurier is one of the best defenders I have ever seen in a Forest shirt. Great goal and all, but fucking hell, this guy is a class above anyone we have seen in well over 20 years. Such a great performance.

Yates- so good at winning duels, and brilliant at getting the ball facing goal and doing something with it. However, frustrating when running under pressure; when being challenged and running to goal, he gets his head down and just doesn't look. He waits far too long to release the ball, even when there is a key pass to be made, and inevitably loses it or passes backwards. Part of his game to work on.

Mangala- getting better with more game time. Good at transitioning the ball, did well with tackling.

Johnson- it's a shame that poor decision making by him probably cost us the win, because he played well. He fluffed the one on one- never looking convincing that he was going to score it; but at the same time, he was on to it in a flash and that is exactly what we want from him.

More concerning is that he shot rather than square to Awoniyi for a tap in, and he needs to do better than that.

But I was most impressed with his defensive work. He not only provided an outlet but pressed really well and in defensive situations he did really well winning the ball and moving it forward to receive pressure.

Awoniyi; official MOTM and caused them problems all game on the left side. He uses his strength, is getting better at holding it up but it is his runs and ability to hold off defenders that causes the problems. Should have had a tap in goal from Johnson.

MGW- we look miles better with him in the team and didn't miss Lingard really. Dropping deep and running at them caused loads of problems. He sometimes chooses the wrong direction but he was against a very experienced and wily defender in Thiago Silva.

Colback- I was sceptical of this sub but he came on and was a busy bastard, which was exactly what we needed as our players were knackered.

Great game. Loving the Premier League.

Now we need to win away at Southampton

And a little fucking respect from the pundits please
So my pundits were Glenn Hoddle and Darren Bent, who were both very complimentary about Forest in the second half, thought we were the better team and deserved to win. Hoddle is a great pundit, and if he wasn't a bit weird, would have been the best England manager we'd ever have. Very intelligent analysis from him always

How is it ‘unacceptable?’ This isn’t the Chelsea that we put 7 past 30 years ago. This is the multi-trophy winning, Champions League regulars that we have just taken a point from.

I have no problem thinking we could and possibly should have got more but calling it ‘unacceptable’ is ridiculous. How many of us would have taken a point from this at the start of the season?

It's unacceptable because we dominated the game and we made stupid decisions.

It's unacceptable because we dominated the game against a mediocre big name team.

It's unacceptable because we're in the relegation zone.

It's unacceptable because we've thrown away points against relegation rivals.

Thinking that this result is acceptable is exactly what will have us relegated

We should have won and its our own fault we didn't, so if you take that in isolation you could call it unacceptable.
The context though, makes it fine. We came back into a game instead of collapsing when bad luck struck, not only that but we took over completely against a really good team.
We really could have done with the 2 points we lost out on though. We can't keep playing well and failing to win, and we have to learn the lesson that comes from this game, and start really getting at teams from kick off instead of waiting until later.

It's unacceptable because we dominated the game against a mediocre big name team.

Bit baffled by this to be honest mate.

I made my 2 hour drive down to the game today expecting us to lose 4-0.

Instead we outplayed a team worth hundreds of millions more than us and would have won had Johnson been less selfish.

Lose at Southampton on Wednesday and everything will feel a lot bleaker but today’s performance gave me a lot of heart and I came away very proud of our boys.

Now back onto the motorway for me…

No, thinking we have a divine right to win against the big sides will see us relegated.

Picking up points against the top teams is pretty much always going to be because they had an off day.

Even on their off days, the top sides will take all 3 points. We have to be on top of our game to just take a point.

You crack me up at times. You sound like an old school headmaster, I bet you run a tight ship in the family home.

Then cooper needs to bench him if he is refusing to make the right decision, he'd have 3 or 4 assists by now if he chose to pass.
Over the course of the season, if you watch all our games back, you'll notice that he makes the right pass quite often but there's no-one there to get on the end of it.
There's a reason EPL goals come more often from wingers just putting the ball where the striker should be, rather than looking up an picking someone out. There's nowhere near the amount of time and space available to pass into in the Prem. I don't think Johnson has got the hang of that quite yet and I really don't think Awoniyi makes those kinds of runs where putting the ball where the striker should be would work.
I think its more of a teamwork issue than just an issue with Johnson's end product. They don't seem to instinctively know what to do like more experienced Premier League players.

What I don't get is why he can put the ball in the bottom corner against Blackburn reserves but can't in a similar situation in the Premier League.

Chelsea fans are all whinging about how shit they are, giving us no credit at all.

They do look dreadful & with Arsenals resurgence & Newcastle having more money than every other club combined it’s going to be difficult for them.

What do you think the consequences for such unacceptability should be for the manager and players?

Cooper out? Change the whole XI for Southampton?

What did everyone think of the “Chelsea Rent Boy” chant from lower Bridgford, capital corner and A block?

Cringeworthy or hilarious?
Realise it’s an ages old slight, just seems a bit embarrassing to me…

Apparently we are investigating homophobic chanting at the Chelsea fans.

I assume that was the "Chelsea rent boys" chant that was half heartedly floating around for about 10 seconds?

Apparently we are investigating homophobic chanting at the Chelsea fans.

I assume that was the "Chelsea rent boys" chant that was half heartedly floating around for about 10 seconds?

Longer than that, chum.
Pretty clear it was for a while from where i sit (BC upper close to Bridgford end)

No doubt the same thing will happen when Brighton come to visit.
Presumably the taxi driver chant will get a dust down when we play Leicester, also.

Some of our supporter base are stuck in the 80s.

What did everyone think of the “Chelsea Rent Boy” chant from lower Bridgford, capital corner and A block?

Cringeworthy or hilarious?
Realise it’s an ages old slight, just seems a bit embarrassing to me…

Thankfully it was very brief and sounded like it was just from a handful of fans who are stuck in the dark ages and will think that sort of thing is acceptable because it's inside a football ground. Still embarrassing for our club, though.

Even more embarrassing is that those twats will once again think it's all top banter when we play Brighton at home and Forest will no doubt be getting bad press again.