Gills new signings | Page 27 | Vital Football

Gills new signings

Maybe, just maybe, given both Evans and Harris contradicted Scally and said we had the 24th budget in league 1, that the problem doesn't lay with the manager and that we are being vastly underfunded for the sort of budget required to compete?

Last season I understand more, we were under an embargo and we couldn't sign anyone new on anything over £2.5k per week - albeit relegation has happened I would've expected better than this.

We have a paltry squad, with average quality. Yet we can't sign anyone new other than a defender - it doesn't add up to anything other than a pitiful budget. I refuse to believe that Harris has spent tons on these players, if he has then more fool him.

Maybe, just maybe, given both Evans and Harris contradicted Scally and said we had the 24th budget in league 1, that the problem doesn't lay with the manager and that we are being vastly underfunded for the sort of budget required to compete?

Last season I understand more, we were under an embargo and we couldn't sign anyone new on anything over £2.5k per week - albeit relegation has happened I would've expected better than this.

We have a paltry squad, with average quality. Yet we can't sign anyone new other than a defender - it doesn't add up to anything other than a pitiful budget. I refuse to believe that Harris has spent tons on these players, if he has then more fool him.
Cheer up mate 😉
I think that our squad is ok but a bit thin.
I’m not a lover of having loads of players just to make up the numbers when they will have zero chance of actually playing.
It’s just dead money because the players who never feature still get paid.
I remember Barton saying when he took over at Bristol Rovers that they had 37 full time professional players on the books.
He had a massive cull because they couldn’t sustain that level of wages.
In my opinion, around 23 players is about the right amount to keep them all involved.
I’d like to see a Centre Back and another forward if he can get a decent one.

Maybe we should have a poll among those on here as to how many players should be in the squad?

Last edited:
Just to add to that and depress myself more, how will we move forward come the transfer window in January? With possibly no budget.....i mean the mythical 10 games are nearly up 😉

Just to add to that and depress myself more, how will we move forward come the transfer window in January? With possibly no budget.....i mean the mythical 10 games are nearly up 😉
Jesus Christ 😂
Seriously ?
If you’re depressed five games in, you’re supporting the wrong club.
😂😂😂😂
Maybe I’ve just been whooshed.
I hope so.

I think the best we could hope for out of our squad is mid-table.

None fo the strikers are up to the quality of Cody Mcdonald or similar. None of them are "good" strikers.

You don't win games without a good back 4/5 or good strikers.

We're in the bargain basement with an average to lower budget i would suspect.

Maybe I’m a glass half full type of bloke and look at life through rose tinted glasses.

For me the last three games have been good, played some decent football but failed to score. I believe we have a team that just needs to gel and as stated previously I can see some teams getting a hiding, we do have some quality going forward and we will score goals

Fuck off with the doom and gloom if it all goes tits up we can drown our sorrows is April

Maybe I’m a glass half full type of bloke and look at life through rose tinted glasses.

For me the last three games have been good, played some decent football but failed to score. I believe we have a team that just needs to gel and as stated previously I can see some teams getting a hiding, we do have some quality going forward and we will score goals

Fuck off with the doom and gloom if it all goes tits up we can drown our sorrows is April

I agree with all this. 2 reservations:

1. Bad planning/execution around recruitment means we’ve thrown away points whilst the team is being assembled and gelling.

2. We’re going to hit trouble when suspensions and injuries hit.

I agree with all this. 2 reservations:

1. Bad planning/execution around recruitment means we’ve thrown away points whilst the team is being assembled and gelling.

2. We’re going to hit trouble when suspensions and injuries hit.

Agree totally with both points but we are where we are, I still think we need 3 or 4 more in but it is what it is.

lets just see where the season takes us I don’t think we will be in the bottom 5 and I did predict play offs which I am not sure of now but will wait until Christmas now

I don’t agree with ‘bad planning’.

NH could easily have assembled his squad sooner but given players demands naturally come down as the season gets nearer this would have meant wasting, what is becoming painfully clear, an already disappointing budget.

I don’t agree with ‘bad planning’.

NH could easily have assembled his squad sooner but given players demands naturally come down as the season gets nearer this would have meant wasting, what is becoming painfully clear, an already disappointing budget.

How do you know if its a disappointing budget?
I bet it compares favourably with clubs around us.
We are not a wealthy club.

There are very few people who "know" what the budget is but, I must admit, I shall have some doubts about it if we fail to make a couple of strong signings prior to next Thursday`s deadline. My feeling at this time is that our purchasing strength is way below that of the top seven in L2.

Is it impossible that either or both Chambers and McKenzie might have a change of mind and re sign?

I bet it compares favourably with clubs around us.

You’d like to think given we’re 20th.

‘Disappointing’ is clearly subjective.
I’m disappointed we have such a small squad, no recognised goal scorer and lack of quality in defence to the extent we are unable to play with less than five defenders (we have six defenders in our squad plus Akehurst who I understand we can recall at short notice).

I strongly suspect NH is also disappointed with what his budget is achieving given his comments over time and shifting expectations re player arrivals.

(we have six defenders in our squad plus Akehurst who I understand we can recall at short notice).

I read that Bailey Akehurst got knee ligament damage in his first game for Hastings and is out for a month. Probably already back at Gills for rehab.