Scally to stand down | Page 13 | Vital Football

Scally to stand down

I sense that this answers my earlier question as to how would he be different to any other CEO we have had - and the answer I am guessing is he wouldn't? Happy to be corrected.

It wouldn't shock me if the announcement was misleading, and that this is a PR exercise, designed to take heat off himself, and to boost revenue. Whilst trying to garner sympathy.

Forgive my cynicism - I can't help it!
Peterborough advertised for a CEO last year with a salary of between 100k to 150k
I’d suspect that Paul Fisher is on a bit less, but not by much.
I think you’ve got Scally wrong mate.
I’m totally convinced that he’s had a gut full.
He’ll stand back.
Watch and appraise.
If he’s happy with what he sees, he’ll call it a day in the everyday running of the club.
Sure he’ll still own it but only until he can unload it.
He can sell as a going concern with a strong management set up.

Peterborough advertised for a CEO last year with a salary of between 100k to 150k
He’ll stand back.
Watch and appraise.
If he’s happy with what he sees, he’ll call it a day in the everyday running of the club.

I hope you are right mate and it would be the wrong move for him in a few months to step back in imo, especially if things around the club are generally rosy. I think virtually everyone would think it a strange decision - it feels like the last few days are something you don't untangle easily and it is the beginning of the end (on a day to day at the very least).

But my cynicism is derived from so many broken promises over the years, that I just don't trust him any more and struggle to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's see how it plays out.

He’ll stand back.
Watch and appraise.

History says that PS cant/won't delegate responsible roles to others so I have my doubts as to how long this might last.

Like most business owners (and maybe rightly so) they have to have their finger in all the time and can't walk away, no matter how much good intention they have of doing so.

I hope you are right mate and it would be the wrong move for him in a few months to step back in imo, especially if things around the club are generally rosy. I think virtually everyone would think it a strange decision - it feels like the last few days are something you don't untangle easily and it is the beginning of the end (on a day to day at the very least).

But my cynicism is derived from so many broken promises over the years, that I just don't trust him any more and struggle to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's see how it plays out.
Personally, I’d be delighted if he took a back seat.
His time is up and he accepts it.
I reckon he’ll enjoy the absence from having to do the daily grind and will show up on match days and enjoy the experience.
The next time I want to hear from him is when he’s holding the league two winners trophy aloft.

History says that PS cant/won't delegate responsible roles to others so I have my doubts as to how long this might last.

Like most business owners (and maybe rightly so) they have to have their finger in all the time and can't walk away, no matter how much good intention they have of doing so.
I have literally dozens of friends who have had very successful businesses and retired.
You get to an age when the penny drops.
The ones working long past retirement are generally the ones who can’t afford it.
Scally probably doesn’t fall into that category.
I’d imagine he has a very healthy pension pot plus he also gets state retirement pension.
He’ll keep the co chairman title for the perks.
Company car etc.

You actually said that most owners of football clubs don’t take any money out but actually put money in.
That’s factually untrue.
Do you honestly think that Gold and Sullivan at West Ham have never taken millions out of the business.
Where do you think the money from the sale of Upton Park went?
Karen Brady is a shareholder, director and CEO. She gets paid a bloody fortune.
I’ll happily concede that many very rich people put money into their club but it’s nearly always in the form of a loan.
The Chelsea Russian criminal agreed to write off their loans but that was exceptional.
You know and I know that although Scally has a few bob, he’s not rich.
The business generates income and a portion of that income is invested in the football side.
Absolute business basics.
You come across as an intelligent person so how come you can’t get your head around that.
You come across as an intelligent person too but perhaps someone who needs to pay closer attention to what you read before criticising the author. See post from PuB if at all interested in what I actually said. Scally is fully entitled, legally, to extract from the business whatever he likes, just so long as it doesn't involve trading whilst insolvent. I'm not sure his remuneration has always been justified using other criteria.

I have literally dozens of friends who have had very successful businesses and retired.
The ones working long past retirement are generally the ones who can’t afford it.
I’d imagine he has a very healthy pension pot plus he also gets state retirement pension.
Company car etc.

I just don't think PS can give it up that easily. He likes the qudos and he's lived and breathed it every day for 25+years . The CEOs we've had ove r the years haven't worked for a reason he can't leave it alone. After PS had his heart surgery he took a step back but look where he is now.

From what I've seen and heard he will find this step back very hard but I hope for his health and wellbeing( he looked ill on tv the other night) as well as for the future of GFC he does step back, I just have my doubts.

I guess time will tell if actions match his words. He doesn't have a good track record on that front, so we'll see.

So with this in mind, and again please forgive the ignorance - but how does this really make him any different to other CEO's who have gone before him?

Whether he is a statutory director or not isn’t really any concern. A statutory director is the person who is ‘on the hook’ for legal obligation per Companies Act and includes things like making sure that accounts are properly prepared and filed on time.

What is more relevant (esp to the SOB) is what are the Terms of Reference for the Board, what the governance decision making including what level of delegates authority Fisher has.

Company car etc.

Of course that is all logical and makes sense. The difference is that your dozens of friends, and you, are not Scally and have probably run your businesses in a way that is consistent and easy to understand, and deal/trade with, like those in all parts of the country, and been prudent in picking the time to walk away.

I would say that is the category PS does not fall into. We shall see.

Is it not the case that Scally owns Priestfield as well, though the Priestfield Developments company? So even if he stepped down as Co-Chairman, he still owns the stadium?

Is it not the case that Scally owns Priestfield as well, though the Priestfield Developments company? So even if he stepped down as Co-Chairman, he still owns the stadium?

annnd - the plan for the new stadium was to sell the ground and rent the new stadium, what could go wrong lol.

Regarding a board of directors, I used to analyse Report and Accounts and Company Returns for many FTSE companies when I worked for a Bank, and any directors had to also declare all directorships they hold in other companies, both executive and non executive.

It was amazing how many were directors of dozens, and sometimes hundreds, of other companies so could not have devoted much time to each.

Therefore, having a board of directors does not indicate that they would have day to day involvement in the club. Just attend periodic board meetings and pass resolutions. At Gills FC level, I do not think that should involve onerous figures in remuneration

Are you sure about that? What did the latest Gills account say?

I don’t know, I’m asking the question.

I have a vague memory that Mr Scally has stated that the ground and the football club are back under the same company, I’m not 100% sure on that though.

With time to think I doubt very much Scally will sell the club. Unless there is a bid he cannot refuse on the table.
Firstly he has no real need to .
He has at least it appears a excellent CEO to work for him .His Jockey Club experience and CV look on the face of it a really good credentials for the job of Co Chairman. I believe he could bring a more relaxed but more professional air to the club .Scally appears to have found a man well qualified to do a better job than he could do himself.
That said Scally is in a position to employ Paul Fisher for the foreseeable future.
If he simply leaves him to do the day to day running of the club Scally could find himself able to take up to about half of his previous income for doing the overseeing most probably from aboard .He might at some point face stiff competition for Paul Fisher's services. So he will need to offer a excellent package. So I would doubt that any wages will be saved by the move.
If this happens it will probably really frustrate Mr Perry as Scally to a large extent by out of reach. He I believe still own the club .So those staying away for that reason will have perhaps a excuse to continue. There would be no point to SOB as he simply will not be there most of the time. Although I do believe he may well turn up unannounced for some fixtures.
Pure guess worth I know as Scally himself possibly doesn't know himself yet.