Good Morning Thread | Page 515 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Like I said, follow the money, not the bullshit.

I dig through the "bullshit:" that so many are gullible enough to swallow to get to the facts.

By the way, I ignored your pathetic explanation of your intelligent reply to my post saying "bullshit" when you said it should encourage a rebuttal. Such rubbish '80.

Words and replies like that are simply used by those unable to articulate themselves with civil vocabulary.

At this stage, I ask that you do not comment publicly to any of my posts. You're embarrassing yourself and lowering the tone on what should be friendly upbeat dialogue among friends, even when we disagree or challenge one another's posts.

I have big enough shoulders if you wish to make a comment privately.

I wish you nothing but the best '80. Be at peace with yourself first, and then you'll find public engagement more pleasant for all parties.:thumbup:

It is a great piece of media for the Sky apologists to see. When you stack that up with Sky growing their annual profits up to about £1.5b over a 10 year period and then pleading poverty to football during COVID, it's another proof point about the toxic company. I feel sad that the average guy and gal that work hard have to pay such high tariffs for pay-per-TV only to see these profits leave our country and head to the US parent company, Comcast.

We definitely need more options entering this market. Netflix was one that totally disrupted the Sky Movies package. Amazon Prime less so. As for sport and football, we need more of the Amazon Prime type options. Showing all games but staggered is a great idea. You watch Spurs first half at 7-30pm and then watch the first 15 mins of another match starting 8-15pm. You then head back to the Spurs second half at 8-30pm and once that is finished watch the second half of the other game starting at 9-15pm. Two and a half hours of uninterrupted football without a single piece of punditry from idiots like Carragher. All 10 of the PL games televised and also available on repeat as full game or highlights. It's a great package, but they only get 2 games a year. I hope Amazon start to take football more seriously.

It's nothing like that in Australia. We don't have SKY as such. We have Foxtel which has has certain SKY news channels. I keep away from the US news channels that are so bias and always push a left agenda. No PL football at all. We only get some Championship games and the odd SPL match. Can't think of the last time I watched a live PL game. I refuse to pay more $ per month for Optus Sport to watch live PL games, as they insist I take out 5 new cell phone plans and also internet with them. Such a con.

It's nothing like that in Australia. We don't have SKY as such. We have Foxtel which has has certain SKY news channels. I keep away from the US news channels that are so bias and always push a left agenda. No PL football at all. We only get some Championship games and the odd SPL match. Can't think of the last time I watched a live PL game. I refuse to pay more $ per month for Optus Sport to watch live PL games, as they insist I take out 5 new cell phone plans and also internet with them. Such a con.
It's all an absolute rip-off wherever you look nowadays, we are all taken for mugs by the big corporations. What it needs is for everyone in the UK for example to stop subscribing to Sky to break their business model and then introduce something more affordable that doesn't afford PL footballers such undeserved and outrageous wages.

It's all an absolute rip-off wherever you look nowadays, we are all taken for mugs by the big corporations. What it needs is for everyone in the UK for example to stop subscribing to Sky to break their business model and then introduce something more affordable that doesn't afford PL footballers such undeserved and outrageous wages.
I'm not sure I'll re-subscribe to Sky when the season starts again. I already have their full entertainments package with Sky Q etc. The Premier League subscription adds another £18 (based on last season's prices).

I take your point and largely agree that we're being ripped off. And yet there's a part of me that remains loyal to Sky. I remember clearly what it was like before they came along. No live football matches whatsoever all season until the FA Cup final. All we had was short highlights on Match of the Day on a Saturday evening. And then, unless it was one of the two (or three?) featured matches, it was just goal highlights. So, unless you went to the games (which I still did back then) you never got to see the team and were totally reliant on journalists for their reports (unless you managed to pick up the match on radio commentary which was a grim experience). And there was no social media for fans' forums etc. Also, you didn't get to see other teams.

It was a different world then for the football fans and I'm grateful to Sky for changing it. I'm not sure whether that should buy my loyalty today though?

I'm not sure I'll re-subscribe to Sky when the season starts again. I already have their full entertainments package with Sky Q etc. The Premier League subscription adds another £18 (based on last season's prices).

I take your point and largely agree that we're being ripped off. And yet there's a part of me that remains loyal to Sky. I remember clearly what it was like before they came along. No live football matches whatsoever all season until the FA Cup final. All we had was short highlights on Match of the Day on a Saturday evening. And then, unless it was one of the two (or three?) featured matches, it was just goal highlights. So, unless you went to the games (which I still did back then) you never got to see the team and were totally reliant on journalists for their reports (unless you managed to pick up the match on radio commentary which was a grim experience). And there was no social media for fans' forums etc. Also, you didn't get to see other teams.

It was a different world then for the football fans and I'm grateful to Sky for changing it. I'm not sure whether that should buy my loyalty today though?

Actually, a couple of really balanced viewpoints. I like the fact that it is acknowledged that footballers only get paid as much because the family struggling to build their pension pot or burn down their mortgage spends that money on a Sky subscription for the household instead. The irony that consumer spending doesn't even recycle itself in this country. Not to mention that UEFA negotiate their TV rights and only 50% comes back to the clubs participating. The rest goes into whatever country they choose.

I'm not one for advocating politics and football, but I do think this is one area that the government should look closely at what is happening to the consumer spending. They should have a long think about what they would do with monopolies in other industries and make some tough decisions. I wasn't a Brexiteer but now is the time to look after our own. I would start by heavily taxing every penny that goes from Sky (UK) to Comcast (US). I might even be as cruel as enforcing that Sky needs to pay the equivalent of a TV license in every household and feed the money back into the terrestrial channels. Level the playing field.

That being said, as Garry says, Sky have played their role in the innovation of television in our country. We get more choices now but just need to get the pendulum back to the middle.

Apparently cats dont like strong smells....so if you crap on your own lawn it may deter them......

Seriously, apparently they hate strong smell of e.g bananas citrus fruits lavender......or get a motion detecting sprinkler....much more fun to watch them scatter when it goes off,.....

Alternatively get an air rifle sink a lot of beer and have some shooting practice...although you may be in danger of finding religion and becoming a catoholic. (old ones are the best eh!)

Apparently cats dont like strong smells....so if you crap on your own lawn it may deter them......

Seriously, apparently they hate strong smell of e.g bananas citrus fruits lavender......or get a motion detecting sprinkler....much more fun to watch them scatter when it goes off,.....

Alternatively get an air rifle sink a lot of beer and have some shooting practice...although you may be in danger of finding religion and becoming a catoholic. (old ones are the best eh!)
I bought a container of what is reported to be 'cat repellent' granules and spread it on the areas where they were crapping and it had absolutely nil effect, total waste of money.

A complete stab in the dark, but there isn't something like a soakaway beneath that area of grass. Just wonder whether the moisture that is supposed to be for the grass roots is getting a helping hand down to the water table by a load of buried hardcore. I know these soakaways used to be quite common back in the day.

The reason I say this is that I went to our brand new chipping area at the golf course today. What is funny is that where they've installed pipes to sprinkler heads around this practice area, every piece of grass has gone brown. The rest is green. They obviously didn't bury the pipes deep enough. Idiots !!!
Tell you what muttley that was a good thought, so looked into it, I/we do not have any soak aways, cos our general drainage was poor, so about 2 years ago had 2 no drainage cages, 4ft x 2ft x 2ft, put in, 1 is about about 5ft away, all the grass in them drain cages area's is lush, great thought though.

Mrs PY posted pics of the desolation area on a Gardeners Face Book club she is a member of, asking what's the reason for this?
An old expert garden geezer came back with a possible answer...he asked if I fed the wild birds Fat Suet Balls, he went on that maybe the birds spread/spill the FSB's on the grass and with the sun heat lately the grass gets destroyed by the fat in the FSB's
Just up from where the problem is, I have a Wildies food bowl stand and put two FSB's in there a every day mixed with wild bird food, this could be the answer to my prob, so no more FSB's birdies to see if he might be right, wild bird food only and see if the grass fight's back.

Sky, football, subscription fees, totally agree with every thing posted, what an idea everybody stop paying, thought that myself loads of times, but not going to happen am afraid.

Loyalty to em, all broadcasters, esp Sky/BT, no it is not, it is in this day and age a necessity and they know it, esp if you want to watch mass Football, Rugby and Cricket, other sports are available, so unless you are prepared to just listening/reading, they have got you by the short n curlies and the balls, no pun intended there.

Could the giant called Amazon Prime do something v Sky/BT, I think so but will they? that's another question.

muttley has it right, our government should look into it and do something about the rip offs in the interest of the general public.

Morning all,
Only other thing I can think is, if you have a petrol lawnmower is that the area where you fill it, as that's what happened to me I fill my lawn mower in the, same place and there is a small patch of petrol leakage which is brown
Clutching at Straws m8.

Cayenne pepper works.

I dig through the "bullshit:" that so many are gullible enough to swallow to get to the facts.

By the way, I ignored your pathetic explanation of your intelligent reply to my post saying "bullshit" when you said it should encourage a rebuttal. Such rubbish '80.

Words and replies like that are simply used by those unable to articulate themselves with civil vocabulary.

At this stage, I ask that you do not comment publicly to any of my posts. You're embarrassing yourself and lowering the tone on what should be friendly upbeat dialogue among friends, even when we disagree or challenge one another's posts.

I have big enough shoulders if you wish to make a comment privately.

I wish you nothing but the best '80. Be at peace with yourself first, and then you'll find public engagement more pleasant for all parties.:thumbup:

Andrew Forrest.

Once again you fail to acknowledge the flow of money into hydrogen projects in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sky, football, subscription fees, totally agree with every thing posted, what an idea everybody stop paying, thought that myself loads of times, but not going to happen am afraid.

Loyalty to em, all broadcasters, esp Sky/BT, no it is not, it is in this day and age a necessity and they know it, esp if you want to watch mass Football, Rugby and Cricket, other sports are available, so unless you are prepared to just listening/reading, they have got you by the short n curlies and the balls, no pun intended there.

Could the giant called Amazon Prime do something v Sky/BT, I think so but will they? that's another question.

muttley has it right, our government should look into it and do something about the rip offs in the interest of the general public.
When you think about it........we pay a TV licence to get BBC stations advert free, we get free to view commercial stations paid for by advertisers, we get premium streaming services that we pay for to get them advert free, then there is Sky and others that we are paying for twice, a subscription paid directly, and through all of the products we buy from the advertisers whose advertising budget comes from a proportion of what we pay for their products. Bit of a rip off when you think about it!

We have a somewhat similar situation here. Pretty much our entire satellite TV offering falls under a single umbrella known as DSTV. This incorporates a wide range of international TV, film, news and entertainment channels, but most of all sport. We are fortunate to be able to watch every minute of every major sporting event anywhere in the world, pretty much every minute of the day. This extends to our being able to watch every PL match live every week of the season, courtesy of Premier League TV in conjunction with DSTV. Good as the sport is however, the other channels which probably number around 100 deteriorate in quality every year whilst the subscription fees escalate, and we seldom bother with them these days because the streaming channels and YouTube offer so much more. The perfect solution would be to be able to subscribe to a bouquet that incorporates the sports channels only, but unfortunately that will never happen.

Re Sky
Thing is if they made it cheaper (say £10) they would get more customers, more profit, this would also crush the pirate stations.
For example I used to follow boxing at all weights, not so much now as the large fights cost an arm and a leg.
Can't really name anyone outside the heavy weights and there's little sense following up and coming boxers as you can't see outcomes in larger fights.
I have a deal with BT at around £10 per month, that gets me the Euro stuff and an odd Saturday game.
Surely Spurs must be near a position where they can charge us £10 a month for all home games live.
I dunno 🙄

Re Sky
Thing is if they made it cheaper (say £10) they would get more customers, more profit, this would also crush the pirate stations.
For example I used to follow boxing at all weights, not so much now as the large fights cost an arm and a leg.
Can't really name anyone outside the heavy weights and there's little sense following up and coming boxers as you can't see outcomes in larger fights.
I have a deal with BT at around £10 per month, that gets me the Euro stuff and an odd Saturday game.
Surely Spurs must be near a position where they can charge us £10 a month for all home games live.
I dunno 🙄

Thats what I'm hoping.

Morning all,
Only other thing I can think is, if you have a petrol lawnmower is that the area where you fill it, as that's what happened to me I fill my lawn mower in the, same place and there is a small patch of petrol leakage which is brown
Clutching at Straws m8.
Niall that's a no, I use a leccie mower, was one of the questions asked!