The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 160 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

I was yawning at the use of the word 'haters' and not the stats being shown which I found pretty interesting and surprising tbh. It certainly looks better than it feels but no one can argue with that table as it's there in black and white.
Wrong word maybe, if I’m honest even I was surprised by the stats!
Gives us a bit more hope with the right players brought in and more importantly the dead wood moved out, we just may do ok next season, if not you can add me to the band of haters sorry I meant “those that are unconvinced”

I'm sounding like a broken record here I know. But ffs. What is wrong with our scouts and recruitment systems?
Did bailey even have a medical? Because there is no way he is ever going to be fit. Same as Berty. Pointless paying their wages.
I feel a tad sorry for Gerrard because we yet again just have so many players yet again that can't be relied upon. Yet again.
Something is fundamentally wrong. Like seriously wrong.

I'm sounding like a broken record here I know. But ffs. What is wrong with our scouts and recruitment systems?
Did bailey even have a medical? Because there is no way he is ever going to be fit. Same as Berty. Pointless paying their wages.
I feel a tad sorry for Gerrard because we yet again just have so many players yet again that can't be relied upon. Yet again.
Something is fundamentally wrong. Like seriously wrong.
A lot money wasted that’s for sure.

The recruitment strategy wasn't too bad in many ways, we went from surviving to 11th which is pretty decent having come up from the Championship with an appalling squad.

Last summer is where we did indeed shit the bed. £90m odd on players who for various reasons haven't delivered anywhere near enough this season.

The recruitment strategy wasn't too bad in many ways, we went from surviving to 11th which is pretty decent having come up from the Championship with an appalling squad.

Last summer is where we did indeed shit the bed. £90m odd on players who for various reasons haven't delivered anywhere near enough this season.
You can see why they were signed. Buendia because he offered creativity and flair which were things we'd lost when YKW went, Bailey because he had the speed and skills to be the attacking winger we can use, Ings because otherwise we have been relying on Ollie as our only serious centre forward.

Didn't quite work out like that. Maybe we were expecting too much. It's often in their second year that a signing clicks.

Biggest since Salah who signed for like £37m 5 years ago? Pains me to say it but Liverpool are a phenomenally well run club.
They are but it helps when you've got the majority of the jigsaw pieces already there,tho I appreciate it's taken Klopp time to assemble. This means they can take their time researching, watching etc the 1 or 2 players to add and almost seamlessly fit into the system.
Bringing it back on thread, Gerrard is only just starting this journey and whilst we've struggled to see any definable style at various times so far I believe he and his team have a clear plan that will take time and the right recruitment to get right. At least that's what I'm hoping 🤞

Rangers reaching the Europa final is testament to Gerrard’s team building. Although I’m sure some will make the facile argument that this is a Mickey Mouse competition as well

Some scoundrels might suggest they've done better in these mickey mouse euro cups without him holding them back.
Personally wouldn't draw too many conclusions from a plucky underdog having a cup run but each to their own

Rangers reaching the Europa final is testament to Gerrard’s team building. Although I’m sure some will make the facile argument that this is a Mickey Mouse competition as well

As someone who is still a little on the fence it is reassuring, it seems like he has laid the foundations if nothing else. TBF to Gerrard he did get good results in Europe when he was there. He took them to the round of 16 twice so its not entirely unprecedented that they've done well outside of Scotland. Gio being more flexible tactically is about the only negative I have seen with regard to Gerrard and this team performing better in Europe without him. From what I gather Gio has more of a willingness to put bodies behind the ball than SG.