The World Cup Thread | Page 74 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

Just to pay devils advocate, why is it more unacceptable to boo a player at a football stadium, but less unacceptable to call them useless/crap/s***/a c word on a football forum after a game when they haven't performed?

I'm totally guilty of this by the way.

I'll watch it, I'll continue to buy Chinese made goods as well and petrol from Saudi oil, probably Russian gas as well, Adidas trainers made in some sweatshop in Indonesia that cost £110 I'll continue to watch Villa play the likes of Man City and Newcastle whilst wearing my Villa top that will be made by some low paid child in the 3rd world.. because they are paid a "fair wage" all bulshit

We all do it moan about it and carry on doing it, don't we? Stick a couple of quid in a few charity boxes now and then makes us feel like we are helping.

No sure what the alternative is?

It’s probably propaganda from the CEOs but if you take the sweatshops out of these place’s where are they going to get their money from?

We’ll all probably end up watching the World Cup but probably won’t seek it out like we would in tournaments gone by. I expect this to be the lowest viewed WC in the last 20 years.

The vast majority of people saying they wont watch any of this World Cup, will end up tuning in at some point. As soon as England get to the knockout stages or there is a juicy match up like Brazil v France they wont be able to ignore it. There is no top level league football for over a month so they'll need to get their fix somewhere
I've got very little time for England friendlies these days due to the continual 2nd string teams they keep putting out and the ridiculous number of subs made, but I love tournament football. I'll do my best to watch most games whoevers playing, the only ones I might skip are any dead rubber group matches.

Just to pay devils advocate, why is it more unacceptable to boo a player at a football stadium, but less unacceptable to call them useless/crap/s***/a c word on a football forum after a game when they haven't performed?

I'm totally guilty of this by the way.

Yes, before a match, and after a match, you discuss what you've seen in any sport, during a match, surely you just support your team? Main difference being, if the players came onto a forum it would be their choice, whilst on the pitch, they are doing their job.

So you can settle easy and continue to slate the lazy fucktards :lol:

Interesting post in answer to a post on my facebook page.

Having lived in Qatar for 4 years working in the Construction industry I know that these figures are rubbish. The amount of people killed is no worse than the UK and of the deaths I witnessed where natural causes due to poor diet. Most of the migrant workers are there because at home they would have nothing and they are very proud to be supporting their families back home. You hear some stories but the international companies a long with the Government are making things better. As for gays, having lived in the middle East for 7 years I have never seen so many men kissing and holding hands in the street. I doubt you would ever spot a gay couple even in Saudi Arabia as their culture and behaviour is very different to British stand offish ness
I was out for a curry last night with some colleagues (also Construction industry) and one is just back from Saudi Arabia and he said that in comparison to UK sites it's basically a bloodbath. Using teams of men with ropes instead of telehandlers they dropped a concrete post and pretty much pancaked a guy. Apparently nobody batted an eyelid and the immediate conversation was who was going to drag his body out to the road to report it as being hit by a car.

I've heard enough true horror stories direct from guys who've worked out in the Middle East to immediately believe the numbers from Qatar and to think the guy on your Facebook page is talking out of his hoop.

They refer to the construction workers out there as TCN's (third country nationals). They are all expendable. h&s doesn't exist it's all about hitting deadlines. Kill somebody no problem wheel in the next victim. Living quarters are crowded huts of squalor. In Saudi the labour laws says all outside work should stop if it reaches 50c (it does in the summer). Guess what it only ever gets to 49c.

I was out for a curry last night with some colleagues (also Construction industry) and one is just back from Saudi Arabia and he said that in comparison to UK sites it's basically a bloodbath. Using teams of men with ropes instead of telehandlers they dropped a concrete post and pretty much pancaked a guy. Apparently nobody batted an eyelid and the immediate conversation was who was going to drag his body out to the road to report it as being hit by a car.

I've heard enough true horror stories direct from guys who've worked out in the Middle East to immediately believe the numbers from Qatar and to think the guy on your Facebook page is talking out of his hoop.

Can't help but think you are right, that the reports I've read are right, but obviously wanted to show some balance in what someone else is saying.

I just don't buy that we are helping improve things in these countries by giving them the spotlight for top sports.

Can't help but think you are right, that the reports I've read are right, but obviously wanted to show some balance in what someone else is saying.

I just don't buy that we are helping improve things in these countries by giving them the spotlight for top sports.
Certainly didn't do anything positive for South Africa. Other than leaving behind a collection of big stadiums that they can't afford to maintain.

"the deaths I witnessed where natural causes due to poor diet." I'm trying to imagine just how somebody dies from poor diet at a construction site! Do they keel over clutching a Big Mac?

Sounds deluded to me. The Guardian reported at least 6,500 migrant workers died working under slave like conditions which doubtlessly contributed to untimely deaths, this number of people are not dying working under these sorts of conditions in the UK, total bollocks.

He's right you don't spot gays in Saudi Arabia, unless of course they're getting thrown from the top of buildings. Who on earth is this guy?

I think some are mistaking 'they died of poor diets' with the fact they are dying from ill use, poor conditions, malnutrition etc

There was an immigrant interviewed on the news today, he was saying they are cramming them 12 in a room to sleep.

As for the gay part of that guys facebook post.

They look really enlightened to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

Wicked people, but the players will put on rainbow laces and take the knee, so it is ok really isn't it.