Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread

Was Conte's time as head coach a success/failure?

• Success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither - just more wasted time

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
At what point do we focus outside of the coach? We dissect the individual & identify their issues but ignore the fact that they’re human & that if someone such as Pep were here, he’d also be pulled apart by us for “weaknesses”.
We can’t keep siphoning through the manager pool as we’re doing. The lead up to getting Nuno was a joke! We’ll have more of that if/when this falls apart.
I’m of the firm belief that we hired Conte in the full knowledge of his supposed weaknesses & as such, we either back him with the tools he needs or sack him & get someone in that fits our particular mould. Conte like 3-5-2, get him the players for the system. The bulk of our squad are stale anyway, so what are we trying to protect!?

I'd look at Pirlo. Less pressure, familiar with Paratici and the two new signings. Did far better at Juventus than is given credit for considering a) he was thrown in at the deep end, b) was expected to include the fantasy signings of the owners, when he wanted to go with you and c) inherited an aging team that was about to fall off the cliff edge yet he took the blame.

Yet he got them into the Champions League and even bringing back Allegri shows that Juve has problems.

Pirlo's approach fits the mold of the club - young players, attractive play and two trophies in his one and only season isn't too bad either

Considering Fabio has picked Nuno and Conte in the space of 3 months I wouldn't trust him with any appointment.

If we bring in anyone it has to be Ralph the saint.

So Antonio isn't the most fluent, so when he says "I'm finished ...." that could easily mean, that he's finished with that particular interview. Also he may be pushing for some love from Levy and a cast iron commitment he will have the funds to strengthen the club in his image this summer. Concern must be about the negativity - we have games against Arsenal, West Ham and Man Utd coming up and in the race for the Champions League, they are 6 pointers. As a club we have a habit of playing 'up' to the opposition - and whilst I will use caution here, 2 of these games are at home.

If we do have to go for a replacement we could do worse than Andrea Pirlo, but no 18month deals - give a commitment to a minimum 3-4 years

Wouldn't touch anything from the Italian league tbh.

Prefer PL proven coaches and players: Poch, Dembele, Wanyama, Toby as examples.

Ten Haag would be an exception, but I'd prefer Bielsa, Potter or Frank. Hasslehuuten Laage as second choices but can't go wrong with them.

Dyche is a very good manager, would be interesting to see him given a chance, but stakes are too high now.

At what point do we focus outside of the coach? We dissect the individual & identify their issues but ignore the fact that they’re human & that if someone such as Pep were here, he’d also be pulled apart by us for “weaknesses”.
We can’t keep siphoning through the manager pool as we’re doing. The lead up to getting Nuno was a joke! We’ll have more of that if/when this falls apart.
I’m of the firm belief that we hired Conte in the full knowledge of his supposed weaknesses & as such, we either back him with the tools he needs or sack him & get someone in that fits our particular mould. Conte like 3-5-2, get him the players for the system. The bulk of our squad are stale anyway, so what are we trying to protect!?

To be fair to Fabio he did quite well in January. He shipped out players Conte didn't want and brought in 2 1st 11 players on a tight budget.

Conte needs to shut the feck up and get on with it. He has been here 4 months.

If we fail in the transfer market in the summer he would have every right to act like this.

I personally think he is getting found out as a manager tactically and doesn't like it so is playing mind games to deflect his own failings.

To be fair to Fabio he did quite well in January. He shipped out players Conte didn't want and brought in 2 1st 11 players on a tight budget.

If we fail in the transfer market in the summer he would have every right to act like this.

I personally think he is getting found out as a manager tactically and doesn't like it so is playing mind games to deflect his own failings.

Completely agree, it seems that if you have the best money can buy you can become a 'great' tactical genius, when you can't and don't have them, they're all beginning to look like they are almost clueless.

Tbh Paraticis transfers on the whole have been quite good.

Gollini obviously isn't going to make it. Emerson is no good at RWB but he was bought to be a RB.

Romero does have the odd mistake in him but he's a CB unlike any I've seen before. He's incredibly mobile and appears to read the game better than Toby did (just doesn't have the same distribution).

I'm not convinced by Sarr but both Bentancur and Kulu look to be exciting prospects. The former appears to be a steal.

We had this issue with Maureen and Poch before, much in the same way that Leeds are struggling with Bielsa. Managers who rely too much on a style of play rather than adapting to suit the best use of personnel. When these managers are at a top team with endless resource, it doesn't matter as the holes get patched up. We are obviously financially restricted so we need a manager to be adaptable or for para to pull off insane market moves.

Tbh Paraticis transfers on the whole have been quite good.

Gollini obviously isn't going to make it. Emerson is no good at RWB but he was bought to be a RB.

Romero does have the odd mistake in him but he's a CB unlike any I've seen before. He's incredibly mobile and appears to read the game better than Toby did (just doesn't have the same distribution).

I'm not convinced by Sarr but both Bentancur and Kulu look to be exciting prospects. The former appears to be a steal.

We had this issue with Maureen and Poch before, much in the same way that Leeds are struggling with Bielsa. Managers who rely too much on a style of play rather than adapting to suit the best use of personnel. When these managers are at a top team with endless resource, it doesn't matter as the holes get patched up. We are obviously financially restricted so we need a manager to be adaptable or for para to pull off insane market moves.

Benta aside, Paratici's signings had almost no impact and he's another fan of quantity over quality.

Gollini, Gil, Sarr, Emerson - that's £60 million minimum not including wagges and agent fees

Romero has no business being mentioned in the same sentence as Toby. Toby's IQ was phenomenal, and he rarely got caught out of position or found making rash challenges.

He may or may not develop to a great CB, but his suitability to the PL is extremely suspect. I don't think he'll make it.

Kulu hasn't shown anything and I suspect will be another who won't make it.

Benta is the only top signing for me so far.

Then there's his managerial signings...

Benta aside, Paratici's signings had almost no impact and he's another fan of quantity over quality.

Gollini, Gil, Sarr, Emerson - that's £60 million minimum not including wagges and agent fees

Romero has no business being mentioned in the same sentence as Toby. Toby's IQ was phenomenal, and he rarely got caught out of position or found making rash challenges.

He may or may not develop to a great CB, but his suitability to the PL is extremely suspect. I don't think he'll make it.

Agree on the Toby bit. A prime Toby is miles ahead of anything we currently have. Nothing got past him.

Wouldn't touch anything from the Italian league tbh.

Prefer PL proven coaches and players: Poch, Dembele, Wanyama, Toby as examples.

Ten Haag would be an exception, but I'd prefer Bielsa, Potter or Frank. Hasslehuuten Laage as second choices but can't go wrong with them.

Dyche is a very good manager, would be interesting to see him given a chance, but stakes are too high now.
I couldn't care less about Premiership experience or proven players. Conte has Premiership experience as did Mourinho. So did Nuno. Hassenthal made his name at Leipzig but he still has shockers at Southampton. It is easy to look good at a club with low expecations. Son had no Premiership experience when he came to WHL.

The criteria is simple. A manager who is tactically flexible but has a sufficient 'name' that he could attract players. A manager who has potentially suffered low points and come out the other side. A manager who will 'think outside of the box' in terms of who we can go after.

I mention Pirlo. With 9 days notice and no experience, he was asked to take over at Juve from a coach who'd won the league but had gotten a load of players backs up. He inherited a squad of aging players (six over 30), an aging superstar (Ronaldo) who wasn't a team player, another who suddenly lost form (Dybala), a tiny transfer window where key players were moved out before he even signed on as manager including players that might have fitted his plans like Pjanic. He he has managed 52 games with a record of W34 D10 L8 and win ratio of 65%, won the Coppa Italia, and still got the team into the Champions League. In the league he has win ration was 60%, in the CL it was 75% and they were only knocked aet by a team who were then subsequently beaten by the overall winners.

He plays a 4-4-2, but also a 4-4-1-1, and his team often merges into a 3-3-3-1 during games. In this case a Hjoberg drops into defence, the full backs move forward into midfield alongside a Winks/Bentacur, whilst the wider midfielders move out as wingers alongside a second striker.

His interview really does sound like he's simply raised the white flag; far be it for me to talk about Italian backbone, but he clearly has little appetite for a fight.

He must already be thinking about his next job.
Sounded to me like a realisation that he can't achieve what he wants with this group of players and the board have to make a decision....either back him or sack him.

I don't think Romero is in his prime yet. But the number of times I've seen him round around attackers and disposess the ball is insane.
Too right.

It's also insane to even compare Romero to Toby. Toby was one of the best, if not the best, CB's we've had in many a long year. To compare Romero to him is another way of shooting him down. And when Toby reached his peak he was nearly five years older than Romero is now. Let's just give him time to develop.

Too right.

It's also insane to even compare Romero to Toby. Toby was one of the best, if not the best, CB's we've had in many a long year. To compare Romero to him is another way of shooting him down. And when Toby reached his peak he was nearly five years older than Romero is now. Let's just give him time to develop.

Perhaps this is my fault but it was merely comparing how he reads the game (which was meant to be praise).

Sounded to me like a realisation that he can't achieve what he wants with this group of players and the board have to make a decision....either back him or sack him.

He knows he can't be backed anymore than he has been until the summer, he could just simply be afraid of the sack (as he was at inter when he walked before being pushed?) but it seems a bit OTT to confront the board with that ultimatum now unless he already is looking for an escape route.

Bentancur can only be considered a 'top signing' on the basis of experience and profile, not by virtue of anything he's proven with us over one and a half games so far, that's far too early to grant him 'success' status.
At this stage for me he still has as much to prove as Gollini, Sarr, Emerson and Kulu, probably more so insofar as he's a high profile signing who comes with higher expectations.

I tend to look at the team 1st and most as once they get on the pitch it is their heart, tenacity, pride, endeavour and willingness to lead by example and give there all every game that sets the tone and outcome…it’s what they are paid for! The manager can assess in training and pick his team from what is displayed during training and fitness reports from his staff. If the players don’t put in the shift then no amount of ranting is going to change their behaviours, I would rather we field youngsters who want to impress than a bunch of prima-donners being more concerned about their looks ffs…if these players went to clubs like Burnley boy would they get a shock. I say ship the effin lot out and start completely afresh can’t do any bloody worse!!!! Can we? I really am at my wits end with this lot….

He knows he can't be backed anymore than he has been until the summer, he could just simply be afraid of the sack (as he was at inter when he walked before being pushed?) but it seems a bit OTT to confront the board with that ultimatum now unless he already is looking for an escape route.

Simon Jordan is convinced he has been tapped up by United.

Have to agree with him. Very Jose esk.