The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 49 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

imo opinion, and don't shoot me for saying this. But Watkins and Ings can't play together. I am hoping Gerrard can get them playing on the same pitch as the quality is there.

So, he can only have 1 on the pitch at one time. Watkins shown today he is dog shit at the moment. What do we do?

We need to buy a top striker in the window!

Thought Ollie's movement and general contribution up front was fine, and think SG may stick with him because of it, even though he's not at his best.
Ollie out wide rater than,I'll be gentle,lightweight Traore and Bailey.Confident Targett and Cash would be happier with Ollie on hand than not.

Well, I listened on radio yesterday with Brian Little covering match and then watched MOTD and you’d have thought Watkins was pivotal to the team. However, not watching the whole match I wouldn’t have been aware of his poor touch. Having said that he was largely responsible for the 3 points against Brighton and starting us on this run. Can’t see Gerrard changing him at all and rightly so.

I just don't rate him that highly based on this season, his touch is poor, he cannot hold onto the ball well, he haemorrhages possession like no striker I've seen for us at this level as well.

He has his plus points of course but I just want him to do the basics consistently. My feeling towards him at this stage reminds me of when we had Agbonlahor up top, a player who could contribute well but lacked the quality to really push us on.

I sincerely hope Watkins proves me wrong and goes on a great run, I'd always rather be wrong if it means we succeed but I just have a feeling we will get to next summer needing a better striker.

My neighbours brother is Will Johnson, who started out at the Liverpool academy and ended up at Blackburn, then went to the US.

I had a coffee with said neighbour yesterday, and he told me a story about Gerrard in training. Apparently he pinged a ball into Will, who couldn't control it. Gerrard marched over and told him he wasn't going to make it.

Brutal, but ultimately, honest. If this is the case, he's not going to allow Watkins to carry on like this.

Not seen anything of the game bar the 2 goals so I can't comment on his performance yesterday but its true he's not matched the standard of last season yet.

However he's always a pest. Pressing, chasing, challenging for aerial balls, running the channels. He does far more currently than Ings despite him not being in form.

His career so far has been a steady progression from playing non league to league 2 to championship to Premier league to international. He scored 14 premier league goals in his first season at that level. I still think he'll beat that this season.

Does anyone think Gerrard can fix his faults in training? Or are these basic skills he can never learn?
I think we will find out. One school of thought is if you can't take a good touch at 25/ 26 years old you never will.

Although I think some of the technical flaws behind his inability to shield the ball can be improved. He doesn't get his body across well for starters, I'm sure this can be taught.