Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat. 16th October, 3pm ko | Page 29 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat. 16th October, 3pm ko

The 3 at the back seemed like a stopgap formation when Buendia, Bailey, Traore were all out against Chelsea. We haven't had those 3 fully fit at the same time this season unfortunately but its still time to bin this formation.

It makes us too congested through the middle and gives us zero options out wide. Targett cannot play as a wing back and any time the balls on our left it ends up going backwards, getting passed around the 3 CBs then hoofed up anyway.

The 2 up top aren't working. They're working hard no doubt, pressing and chasing balls down the channels but Ings chance in the first half was the first one on one we've given him in his time at the club.

When everyone is fit I'd be lining up like this

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Target

Luiz Mcginn

Traore Buendia Bailey

Ings

It‘s a fair point about the lack of availability of certain players this season. But that brings another point. I have long since thought there is something wrong with our training and prep. The injury situation every season gets ridiculous. And yes I know Bert was injured while away but that doesn’t mean that any traning and prep day to day at BH should be discounted.

And just to cheer everyone up. After yesterday I suspect we won’t have Cash and Emi2 on Friday either.

So that’s them two, Bailey and Bert all not starting then.

Every season… yawn.

Last edited:
Don't think there's much wrong with the individual players (except I can't see why Tuanzebe is anything other than a backup on the bench). But a team can only perform the way it is setup. What we had today worked for the most part, but was exposed once Wolves put the pressure on.

The players aren't comfortable with the system when put under that sort of pressure. We should have been putting the pressure on Wolves, but we retreated. Ditch 3-5-2, play a system which the players know and are comfortable with, and select the PL quality players we've got. When you look at what we have on the bench we shouldn't be playing Tuanzebe and Ramsey.
That’s where my issue lies with DS, I couldn’t believe yesterday that he decided again to play 5-3-2 against a piss poor Wolves team at home! It was probably the right thing to do at Chelsea and it worked to an extent, but he’s like a kid with a new toy, he’s found something he didn’t know he had and there’s no way he’s putting it down till it’s fucking broke, and that’s why I believe he’s not up to the job anymore.

The thing that's pissing me off more than anything is that they didn't even do anything particularly clever or different to get back into it. The wolves manager had clearly just run out of ideas and threw all the attacking players off the bench. Just thinking about how the wolves fans I know are spinning it into some genius tactical move is infuriating.

We ground out a win yesterday then threw it away in 15 mins by going to bits, complete and utter lack of composure. Wolves came for a 0-0 and were happy with that,as soon as we scored they went for us and threw players forwards.
We defended like we did the first season back, concede and collapse. Even Emi couldn't save us.
As I said a must-win game if we are to progress this season and we lost it, it's all ok though because we are better than Arsenal

The thing that's pissing me off more than anything is that they didn't even do anything particularly clever or different to get back into it. The wolves manager had clearly just run out of ideas and threw all the attacking players off the bench. Just thinking about how the wolves fans I know are spinning it into some genius tactical move is infuriating.
Anyone watching that will surely just go for us from the off now, we offer nothing on the counter and so it's a safe bet

We have been told numerous times on here that we are a midtable team who will win matches we were supposed to lose and lose the ones expected to win. So put it in your pipe and smoke it !😀

Watched the game yesterday and just watched the MOTD highlights and I don't really like picking on individual players but it highlighted what an absolute train wreck Tuanzebes performance was. What's worse is he isn't even ours and keeping a decent inform Hause out :shake:
On a more humorous note Conor Coadys after match interview should be played in slo-mo so you can understand it

We have been told numerous times on here that we are a midtable team who will win matches we were supposed to lose and lose the ones expected to win. So put it in your pipe and smoke it !😀

I can accept that because quite simply its true but yesterday we were well on top. Wolves are a mid table side themselves and when 2 up we should be seeing them off easily. As I said its not even that we were out tacticed or anything special. The players on the pitch panicked.

Watched the game yesterday and just watched the MOTD highlights and I don't really like picking on individual players but it highlighted what an absolute train wreck Tuanzebes performance was. What's worse is he isn't even ours and keeping a decent inform Hause out :shake:
On a more humorous note Conor Coadys after match interview should be played in slo-mo so you can understand it
Imagine if Hause had put in a performance like Tuanzebe or Mings. Hause is a donkey but he's at least as good as those two and he's unbeatable in the air.

Tbh we are sitting in 12th and that’s where I expect us to finish. The team isn’t that good, we need to top hyping up this lot.

One of my big concerns is whether Watkins is regressing to the mean after a good debut season at this level, there’s been numerous examples of players have a good first season and then just get found out thereafter.

Well I certainly don't expect it to get any better in the next game. Bailey and Traore won't be back, Buendia and Cash now doubtful and we will probably be forced into playing this pitiful 5.3.2 formation again. Smith will be on borrowed time come next month.
Also who the hell have we employed on our medical team that we always have 2 players go down injured in a match. Is it something that we are doing in training? Either way there's more to this defeat than just the players sh*tting themselves.

I can accept that because quite simply its true but yesterday we were well on top. Wolves are a mid table side themselves and when 2 up we should be seeing them off easily. As I said its not even that we were out tacticed or anything special. The players on the pitch panicked.

A team that can be two goals up until the 80th min and still lose 2-3 does not look like mid table to me. Let us see where we finish come the end of the season in our first full season without Jack.

Tbh we are sitting in 12th and that’s where I expect us to finish. The team isn’t that good, we need to top hyping up this lot.

One of my big concerns is whether Watkins is regressing to the mean after a good debut season at this level, there’s been numerous examples of players have a good first season and then just get found out thereafter.
This is what made me laugh when people thought Newcastle would be in for our players, why would they. Except for Konsa Martinez, I'd sell any one of them at the right price and I'm not talking 60m either, I really think we are getting carried away with this group

I can’t remember a pass between Watkins and Ings, that’s just not working. 5 at the back allows for that partnership but a partnership it isn’t.
Yes I said at half time have they ever linked up and just before Ings chance, I don't think he'd touched the ball in anger They are both compromised by not playing their natural on the shoulder of the last man role, Neither seems to know what their role is

A team that can be two goals up until the 80th min and still lose 2-3 does not look like mid table to me. Let us see where we finish come the end of the season in our first full season without Jack.

Well the next few games will see whether this as a one off capitulation or not. These things can happen of course but last 2 games , conceding an immediate winner at Spuds after equalising and now this shows worrying signs.

But things can hopefully be cured by ditching 3-5-2.