Fifty Years An Imp | Page 5 | Vital Football

Fifty Years An Imp

I was stood by the wall in the South Park End where it joined the West Bank terrace. I remember the Stockport 'keeper's shorts were so muddy that it looked like he had shat himself! I actually felt quite sorry for him when the sixth one went in. It was the biggest Imps win I had seen so far, but that all changed when Luton Town came to the Bank a few years later!
Luton Town, what bliss.

It happened just outside the box at the then South Park end. The 'CRACK' when the challenge went in was loud enough for everyone there to know that a bone had been broken. I can still vividly recall the sight and sound of that event; I think all who were there felt it.
This was against York in October 68 when we won 3-0. I was sitting in the South Park stand with my Dad and can still remember the incident vividly after all these years. Didn't Roger Holmes later become a taxi driver in Lincoln ?

My first full season was 66/67 but I have a recollection of going to a game at Easter the season before and stood in front of the South Park stand the only time I ever went there.

That first season was horrendous I missed the Luton game but remember a 4 nil defeat to Southport amongst many home defeats.

We had no car so used to walk from Western Crescent one week to Sincil Bank and the following week to the Co-op sports ground to watch Lincoln United.

I do remember Roger breaking his leg it sounded like a rifle shot to me and the St Johns Ambulance men putting blankets round him.

At 7 years old I thought it was fantastic going to a match every week happy days.

We only lost because Ray Harford slipped over on the frozen pitch and allowed their man a clear run on goal.
Now that's a detail I can't remember! I remember the atmosphere and couldn't wait for more, though 12000+ gates proved to be the exception. The only game action I can remember was Gordon Hughes flying down the wing, putting over a cross and disappearing over the wall into the South Park terrace. I await someone telling me I've got the wrong match for that!

So 1953 so far the earliest, I bet someone out there is reading this and can beat this, don't be shy, could someone on here actually have witnessed our beloved imps playing in the late 1940"s?
We’ll I can’t beat that but my first game was a home game against Bradford City in 1964 - we lost 2-1. Then as a special treat me and my dad went again about a month or so later - this time we lost 2-0 against Workington - and look where they are now and where we are. Imps 4ever

I've only got a brief report:

Bud Houghton scored after 3 minutes and Stockport played with ten men from 20 minutes onwards.

It was 1-0 at half time then Alan Morton made it 2-0 on 58 minutes.

Don't know the timings for the rest of the goals - Roger Holmes, Alf Jones with a free kick, Ken Fencott and Morton again.
Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned on here but I saw Alan Morton had passed away earlier this week

We’ll I can’t beat that but my first game was a home game against Bradford City in 1964 - we lost 2-1. Then as a special treat me and my dad went again about a month or so later - this time we lost 2-0 against Workington - and look where they are now and where we are. Imps 4ever
As I mentioned earlier in this thread Workington In 1964 was my first match. However I think it’s a bit unfair to compare where both clubs are now. That is due to geography because of the vagaries of the re-election system that was in place at the time. I think we had to apply for re-election 4 years out of 5 in the sixties. We never had any problems being centrally located in the country and relatively easy to get to. Workington on the other hand is completely different. They were voted out of the league and replaced by Wimbledon I believe which tells its own story

Remember it well. The pitch was like an ice rink and the game would never have been played today.

Not sure if it was that game, or one with similar conditions, but I remember the players wore baseball boots/plimsoles rather than their normal studded football boots

My first season was 1981/82 the season when we went so very close to returning to the second division.
First game March 1982 vs Brentford Gordon Hobson scored in a 1 0 win.
Last season was my 40th season but the first since I started going when I didn't see a game at the ground like so many others.
My daughter started going with me at the start of the 2014/15 season her first game was a friendly against Doncaster that we won 2 0 or 2 1.
She wasn't properly hooked until the Cowleys arrived she's barely missed a home game since then and we've had some wonderful away days too.
Sadly now she works on Saturdays so is going to midweek games currently.

I have to admit to being a 'plastic' - first game 25 January 1969 - Imps 3, Exeter 2 - other than that, I can't remember a thing about it!