Tayo to Blackburn? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tayo to Blackburn?

No one would be heart broken if Tayo is still here when the window shuts, but...

If the model is to work and the plan is to recruit players who we can provide Championship football for (either by promotion or improving them and selling them on) then we almost want this sort of thing to happen.

If we can sell some on, then on we can improve the standard of those we can attract to come in.

Toffolo, Grant and Edun in the Championship would be pretty decent evidence.

... and Scully, Bishop and Poole among others will be sought after at Xmas, I would think.

Also wonder if TJ and a left back we have yet to secure will in effect be financed by Tayo moving (which could have been on the cards for some time)?
"... and Scully, Bishop and Poole among others will be sought after at Xmas, I would think."

Not sure about that one!

Don't worry, it doesn't really work like that nowadays. Transfers can take weeks or even months to complete and are usually in a chain; therefore there are moves in the pipeline at most stages of the season, and that is where those pesky agents come in. They control a lot of that movement because they sit on top of it - no single club can do so. Any club worth its recruitment salt will have several replacements lined up for any given player, especially those they believe to be targets for other clubs. Yes, we could potentially lose someone late in the window if that player has a release clause, but I wonder how many of our players have one? And there is no reason to believe that the replacement will not be at least as good as the departure - we have been pretty good at that so far.
I hope it works out this way. I just remember the Theo Robinson and Simeon Akinola transfers that worked badly against us at the last moments in past transfer windows..

So was he omitted from the squad on Saturday in order to be sold and not get injured?

I hope it works out this way. I just remember the Theo Robinson and Simeon Akinola transfers that worked badly against us at the last moments in past transfer windows..

I think we coped! Selling Margetts was a good, late deal for us too.

There were no transfer windows in the NL, so it didn't impact us as it might have done (can't recall who we got to replace Robinson - was it Southwell?).

Very sad to see Tayo leave if this is the case, and I’m surprised he’ll want to go up to the NW rather than Luton tbh.

That said, if it means we have the cash to sign 3 new players (including a direct replacement in Robson) then the model is working as intended.

I’ll be glad when this bleedin’ window has closed though.

It should close (sorry, ‘SLAM SHUT!’), before a competitive ball is kicked, if there is to be one at all.

I'm not so sure they did work against us in hindsight. Losing Theo certainly did us no harm. He only really performed in big cup games, while his league form was poor comparatively - 7 goals in 7 games in the FA Cup, 2 goals in 14 in the league. We went on to beat Burnley and win the NL without him. And who knows what Akinola would or would not have done for us? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire since the Lincoln move fell through - just 21 goals in 97 games, mainly in the National League. We have done ok without him! Perhaps these things happen because they are supposed to.

So was he omitted from the squad on Saturday in order to be sold and not get injured?
He’s got a medial ligament injury, MA was talking about him being back for Cambridge. Seems odd if he knew he wouldn’t be here……

I know the feeling Bristolimp….still not got over selling Percy Freeman to Reading…at least he came back though.
How was that taken by fans back in the day? Did Taylor sell him, realise his mistake then brought him back to replace Dixie McNeil?
It was like selling the club talisman. Everyone loved Percy and a true gent off the pitch too. Graham T did have his own views and wasn’t afraid to make tough decisions. It didn’t really work out for Percy at Reading and we signed him back after a couple of years.

He’s got a medial ligament injury, MA was talking about him being back for Cambridge. Seems odd if he knew he wouldn’t be here……

Perhaps it’s all the rage to sign injured players. It’s like people pay a lot of money for relic guitars perhaps the coaching staff and busy knocking nine bells out of them to sell them on for profit

Last edited:
Perhaps it’s all the rage to sign injured players. It’s like people pay a lot of money for reliced guitars perhaps the coaching staff and busy knocking nice bells out of them to sell them on for profit

"reliced guitars" and "nice bells". Are these things down in the south-west?