Chris Hughton | Vital Football

Chris Hughton

A grim read, even if CH starts to get some results leaves you wondering how dull it will be. I don't think fans will take seeing to many more negative home performances. Tbh I'd rather watch an exciting Forest team competitive in the Championship than a negative one in the Premiership trying to stay up, even assuming CH can get us up.

Still think we have to give him more time, but I'm kinda resigned to turgid, safety first football.

Hughton won't be manager this time next year. He quite possibly won't make Christmas and I wouldn't bet money on him making October

He hasn't been given the tools for the job, he won't he given them and the fans in the stadiums will make their feelings very clear

Hughton won't be manager this time next year. He quite possibly won't make Christmas and I wouldn't bet money on him making October

He hasn't been given the tools for the job, he won't he given them and the fans in the stadiums will make their feelings very clear
Could be a big decision for our 35 year old Ceo to make sooner rather than later me thinks.

I'm finding it interesting comparing how people reacted to a run of bad form and 7th place finish from Lamouchi, compared to how they have reacted to a entire year of bad form from Hughton with a 17th place finish, with a more expensive squad.

I'm finding it interesting comparing how people reacted to a run of bad form and 7th place finish from Lamouchi, compared to how they have reacted to a entire year of bad form from Hughton with a 17th place finish, with a more expensive squad.
Lamouchi's big mistake (and the club mirrored this) was failing to deal with the catastrophe at Stoke. Instead of trying to heal the wound, they ignored it. I said at the time the chairman needed to put out some sort of statement to the fans in solidarity; it was, after all, a bottle job for the ages, something that will be on a clip show one day. I got called an arrogant and entitled fan for suggesting this.

Nothing got said to the fans and nothing got aired with the players. They started the season with a hangover from it, lost all the games and Lamouchi had completely lost all good will with the fans because the calamity wasn't dealt with.

Hughton is lasting on his past reputation alone. I imagine many fans have a similar view to me- head says keep, heart says get rid. The football is the worst we have seen; I can't remember seeing worse in my time. We scored fewer goals than when we were relegated to league one.

Fans look at his past record of success and know we are unlikely to get a manager who has done what we want to do more successfully. But it doesn't triangulate with what we are seeing on the pitch, which has almost no entertainment value.

He was given the tools to do the job last season, but that job was just to steer out of trouble, which he just about managed. He hasn't been given to tools to push on from there and I don't think he will be. We aren't going up this year, so the least we want to see is a bit of entertainment game by game

Lamouchi's big mistake (and the club mirrored this) was failing to deal with the catastrophe at Stoke. Instead of trying to heal the wound, they ignored it. I said at the time the chairman needed to put out some sort of statement to the fans in solidarity; it was, after all, a bottle job for the ages, something that will be on a clip show one day. I got called an arrogant and entitled fan for suggesting this.

Nothing got said to the fans and nothing got aired with the players. They started the season with a hangover from it, lost all the games and Lamouchi had completely lost all good will with the fans because the calamity wasn't dealt with.

Hughton is lasting on his past reputation alone. I imagine many fans have a similar view to me- head says keep, heart says get rid. The football is the worst we have seen; I can't remember seeing worse in my time. We scored fewer goals than when we were relegated to league one.

Fans look at his past record of success and know we are unlikely to get a manager who has done what we want to do more successfully. But it doesn't triangulate with what we are seeing on the pitch, which has almost no entertainment value.

He was given the tools to do the job last season, but that job was just to steer out of trouble, which he just about managed. He hasn't been given to tools to push on from there and I don't think he will be. We aren't going up this year, so the least we want to see is a bit of entertainment game by game
I'm all for giving managers adequate time for doing the job. I've been a huge proponent of having a stable squad and manager who can grow and improve over the course of years.
I honestly don't think Hughton is capable of improving the players we have. I can't think of a single player who has hit their peak form under Hughton. He might be one of the only managers we've had for a full year in the last 10-15 years who this is true of.
Not only that, but he hasn't shown himself capable of a good run of results, or entertaining football, or even an entire football match where we don't collapse and panic for half the game.
This Forest side is patience-testing bullshit, and Hughton has forged the team that way.
I don't like his football, and I want him gone asap.

My concern is Hughton is, or at least should be, a strong manager for a team like Forest. Our squad however is appalling. So is it the manager holding back the squad, or the squad hindering the manager?

Give this team to some no mark manager appointed on the cheap and we could well beat Derby to last place.

As much as I'd like to see a change of manager bring a sudden upturn in performances and fortunes on the pitch, how many times has that actually happened through the last 20 managerial changes we've made?

I wouldn't shed tears if the change was made - any benefit of the doubt afforded to CH is from past reputation and absolutely not from anything he has done whilst at Forest.

My concern is Hughton is, or at least should be, a strong manager for a team like Forest. Our squad however is appalling. So is it the manager holding back the squad, or the squad hindering the manager?
Give this team to some no mark manager appointed on the cheap and we could well beat Derby to last place. As much as I'd like to see a change of manager bring a sudden upturn in performances and fortunes on the pitch, how many times has that actually happened through the last 20 managerial changes we've made?
I've made similar arguments in the past so i definitely can see where you are coming from.
However, people should absolutely not give Hughton leeway because of his achievements.
He's had a year here, so we know exactly, precisely what he is about, and what he is capable of with this Forest squad, and it isn't going to get us anywhere.
Our appalling squad last year looked pretty damn good on paper. We had players who could have been great - players who have previously been great, but they weren't allowed to play, and that is on Hughton.
I actually think that with some no-name manager appointed on the cheap last season we would have done better than we did.
There's zero evidence to me that we only stayed up because of Hughton's managerial talent.

An attacking force of Lolley, Knockeart, Grabban, Ameobi, Mighten, Taylor and Murray could have been near the top of the goals scored column at least.

I don't buy this argument that we didn't have a squad capable of doing better than a 17th place finish.

His football is awful. Negative and boring. I would say sack him, but, who is out there that we could attract?
Don't say Howe or Wilder. Just cannot see them wanting this shit show.

Just sticking to the one plan that's not really working for so long smacks of stubbornness, almost the sort of behavior of a manager who actually would like to be sacked. Fans already booing and that's not just from this season it's from that horrible 40 odd games last season, I feel if the fans had been in he'd have gone after we had become safe. People pay good money to be entertained, they may put up with it if results were being ground out but they aren't boring football shit results not exactly what people want to pay to see. It's not like we haven't got decent attacking players either, we aren't a Wycombe playing with a league 1 squad but even they didn't play in such a negative fashion.

Head says we need to stick but hearts had more than enough of this turgid style, 8 games max if we are still in the bottom 5 for me his times up.

Hughtons problem is trying to play a way that is defensive and doesn’t play to the few strengths we have

he needs to set up to our strengths and let teams worry about what we can do rather than try Abd be in the game and nick 1-0

Hughton is far too defensive when we have the lead, that is for sure.

I think the bigger problem is that his side just don't look like they know how to score, or the process by which goals are created.

I can see him getting binned off soon and DM going all German on us. Nothing more than a hunch after we brought thisn analytics dude in.

Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk

There is not a transfer window for managers. We will see what we are able to bring in by end of August and CH will have 8 games or so to show that he can solve Forest goal scoring crisis and play some decent football. Indication of may be enough, as his record speaks for itself. October will be decision time.

I've made similar arguments in the past so i definitely can see where you are coming from.
However, people should absolutely not give Hughton leeway because of his achievements.
He's had a year here, so we know exactly, precisely what he is about, and what he is capable of with this Forest squad, and it isn't going to get us anywhere.
Our appalling squad last year looked pretty damn good on paper. We had players who could have been great - players who have previously been great, but they weren't allowed to play, and that is on Hughton.
I actually think that with some no-name manager appointed on the cheap last season we would have done better than we did.
There's zero evidence to me that we only stayed up because of Hughton's managerial talent.

An attacking force of Lolley, Knockeart, Grabban, Ameobi, Mighten, Taylor and Murray could have been near the top of the goals scored column at least.

I don't buy this argument that we didn't have a squad capable of doing better than a 17th place finish.

"An attacking force of Lolley, Knockeart, Grabban, Ameobi, Mighten, Taylor and Murray could have been near the top of the goals scored column at least."

Yeah, that looks good on paper, but lets have a look at the reality; Lolley was out injured twice last season, as was Grabban, Ameobi blew hot and cold as he always does, Mighten was attempting to establish himself during his first full season, Murray was well past his sell by date, Knockheart was a dead loss and Taylor a complete waste of time.

Not quite so good when you break things down.

There were valid excuses last season; but no one liked the football being played, and if Hughton is to be believed, neither did he.

The theory that Hughton's default position is a defensive one is also incorrect; there was nothing remotely defensive about his time at any of the clubs he managed in the EFL.

He did adopt a defensive attitude last season, partly through necessity and partly because we did not have the players to play attractive football; there are, however, signs that the defensive attitude is changing; we looked well in control at Coventry until we ran out of steam and played reasonably well against a decent Bournemouth side.

We did not get the desired results in either game so far, which is unacceptable, but the recruitment boys have to share some of the blame for that.

I have seen enough in two games to convince me we will do a lot better than last season; will that be enough for the people who have been starved of success for so many years? I doubt it.

We will not see the kind of improvement needed to challenge for anything until we have a suitable replacement for Grabban; it does not have to be a prolific goal scorer, but it must be someone capable of being the focal point for our attacks; we have not had that in either league game this season.

The report by the Brighton supporters alludes to their two seasons in the PL under Hughton when they finished 17th and 15th; they certainly had no complaints when he managed to get them promotion from the EFL.

I think its worth pointing out that Hughton's replacement has manged them to the dizzy heights of 15th and 16th in his two years at the club, so he can get ready for his very own in depth report.

The same happened at Norwich; the Norwich faithful complained about his time there but fail to mention that he managed the team to their highest place in the PL since the mid 90's, a position they have not got close to since he left.

Fickleness amongst supporters is certainly not unique to Forest; it is evident at every club up and down the country.

And you can forget any chance of attracting managers like Howe to the club; the cost of him and his entourage would be totally unaffordable; you can get ready for an unknown from somewhere in Europe who is prepared to work under the new structure.

Hughton has to work because the alternative will run the risk of pissing a lot of people off.

A grim read, even if CH starts to get some results leaves you wondering how dull it will be. I don't think fans will take seeing to many more negative home performances. Tbh I'd rather watch an exciting Forest team competitive in the Championship than a negative one in the Premiership trying to stay up, even assuming CH can get us up.

Still think we have to give him more time, but I'm kinda resigned to turgid, safety first football.

Well, there are a number of points there to address:

We are not in the PL, so why the comparison?

You do not end up being top scorers in the league on two occasions and in the top 4 scorers on two other occasions playing defensive football; Hughton achieved all of that during his time in the EFL.

Do you think that whoever is in charge, if and when we reach the PL, is going to have the resources available to play attractive football?

There is not even a binary response to that question.