The player who left thread | Page 411 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Let’s not forget as soon as he came on he made a difference and we were all over them again, should of came on for Mount a lot sooner, he didn’t step up and was anonymous most of the match.

That challenge on Grealish should of been a red card too, could of easily done some proper damage.

Yes a lot sooner being 6 games sooner, Mount no goals no assists and did feck all most games. Figure that out

Oh and I'll repeat again what I said in the Euro thread. If he was any other nationality at that tournament he gets a team built around him. In England he gets labeled a super sub, a luxury, untrustworthy all because he's a bit of flair and a hair band.

The sad thing is, if he played for a Manchester or London team, I think he’d be a nailed on starter.

I genuinely think Southgate has some Sven about him. It’s like a pre-requisite for Beaky for Jack to need to be at a different club to ours.

It’s why I hate Southgate because I think he could force jack out with his ridiculous policy.

Oh and I'll repeat again what I said in the Euro thread. If he was any other nationality at that tournament he gets a team built around him. In England he gets labeled a super sub, a luxury, untrustworthy all because he's a bit of flair and a hair band.

Trouble is Southgate has created that label. Nobody to blame but him.

I will say however, albeit with very limited minutes to showcase, Jack was probably not at the level I'd hoped he be. Perhaps the pressure did get to him.

When he was sitting on the pitch holding his knee I feared the worst and thought that we may have lost him for the season. Thankfully he was OK.
Now he needs to strut his stuff for Villa every week and rub Southgate's sizeable nose in the dirt and show him what might have been. As Jim Royle would say -"Mason Mount better than Jack Grealish - my arse"

Trouble is Southgate has created that label. Nobody to blame but him.

I will say however, albeit with very limited minutes to showcase, Jack was probably not at the level I'd hoped he be. Perhaps the pressure did get to him.

The problem with being the super sub is that you're not going to get the chance to take hold of a game like he does for us. You might get a couple of moments to shine but that's about it. Only time he really shone was when he came on vs Germany but throughout the tournament he still did more overall than Foden, Saka, Mount who all played far more.

The problem with being the super sub is that you're not going to get the chance to take hold of a game like he does for us. You might get a couple of moments to shine but that's about it. Only time he really shone was when he came on vs Germany but throughout the tournament he still did more overall than Foden, Saka, Mount who all played far more.
Jack got Southgate out of jail in the Germany game with his positive play but in a way that worked against him. Having beaten Germany the clamour was then from the pundits and the press to start Jack and Beaky just dug his heels in to show that he would play Mount and use Jack as substitute - even to the point that he was not even brought on and one occasion brought on and taken off again.
Jack will be a bit part player for England with Beaky in charge.

I thought he had a decent tournament, lit up the Germany game, positive contribution in his farcical cameo against Denmark, best player on the pitch when he came on against Scotland.

But I'm not convinced he can ever thrive under Southgate. Southgate doesn't really know what to do with him and thus only sees him as a late option to open up the opposition if he believes that is needed.

I look at Mount and see a player without a killer pass and ability to draw in defenders and create space for others. Kane looked a different player with Grealish on the pitch. Ideally you'd be looking to build the team around a player like Grealish but Southgate is far too rigid and risk averse.

Didn't mind him being time managed due to the injury throughout the tournament, as I said a few times, he was needed later on in the tournament, it would have been very good management in-fact. It was screaming out for him to be brought on at the expense of Mount at the start of the second half to give us some forward momentum.

I think as much as he might want to tell his side of the story that might be an ill judged post from Jack. I don't think the intention is to have a pop at Southgate but it reads that he made a mistake not selecting Jack to take a penalty to me.

Its all the excuse he needs to not pick him again.

Didn't mind him being time managed due to the injury throughout the tournament, as I said a few times, he was needed later on in the tournament, it would have been very good management in-fact. It was screaming out for him to be brought on at the expense of Mount at the start of the second half to give us some forward momentum.
You think they didn't play him because of his injury?

I think as much as he might want to tell his side of the story that might be an ill judged post from Jack. I don't think the intention is to have a pop at Southgate but it reads that he made a mistake not selecting Jack to take a penalty to me.

Its all the excuse he needs to not pick him again.

Isn’t the best worded tweet is it, though if Jack wants publicly distance himself from Southgate and his decision for his own reputation, I have no problem as Southgate ha shown very little faith and no loyalty in Jack over the past 2-3 years.

England will get another manager by time we reach Germany 2024 we’d hope, just write off Qatar 2022.

Last edited:
Fair play Jack .

You tell em, know all dicks standing there spouting.

Why shouldn’t he have a right to reply when something being said about him in front of the nation is blatantly untrue .
Yes I imagine he has received a lot of abuse online for being a 'coward' but he always takes ownership on the football pitch. No doubt in my mind he would have scored his pen had Southgate not been stupid enough to pick Saka.