The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 337 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As disappointing as last night was some of you are talking like we got knocked out at the group stage by losing to Iceland.

We reached the final and lost on penalties.

If we're really THAT bad there were 22 other teams worse than us. Even the best team in Europe needed penalties to beat us.

We lost.
Again .
Nothing whatsoever to be happy about

End of .

No harm in opinions of why we lost though.

In fact it was a game we should have won, especially after the first 20 mins.

Yeah fully agree. But I'm reading a lot about people being terrible. Southgate is terrible, Rice is terrible, Saka is terrible, Mount is terrible etc.

But would we really have got to the final and taken it all the way to penalties if they are all that bad?

I'm proud of how far we got, but ultimately now I just feel sad. It's so disappointing. I just don't understand how we can constantly be so bad at penalties?

Jack and Sterling getting pelted for wussing out of taking a pen despite Southgate choosing the takers and order. I'm sure the facts won't get in the way of a good lynch mob though. Especially after Roy Keane has been ranting about it the tosser.
What really annoys me is all these idiots on Twatter,Facebook etc gobbing of about last night have probably never been to a game in their lives, but its a chance to get a few likes on these sites. or whatever you get to increase your profile.

Yeah fully agree. But I'm reading a lot about people being terrible. Southgate is terrible, Rice is terrible, Saka is terrible, Mount is terrible etc.

But would we really have got to the final and taken it all the way to penalties if they are all that bad?

I'm proud of how far we got, but ultimately now I just feel sad. It's so disappointing. I just don't understand how we can constantly be so bad at penalties?

I though Southgate had a poor evening , as did Mount.

I remember reading what Deano said after our penalty shoot out v Albion. I was fascinated about the attention to detail he paid to them and the procedures he and the players put in place to cope with them. Basically it wasn't a shock to them when the shoot out came , whereas a Sancho and Sako in particular looked petrified.

We went down with a whimper. Great credit to Southgate for ruining Saka when he wasn't ready. And not even giving the most talented player in the squad who got multiple MOM''s in the build up going back to last year a chance. And the thousands upon thousands in tbe country not just fan boys thought he should play a big part.

He didn't even try did he. Could have . Didn't and chose Jordan Henderson

Pathetic .

Sir Gareth OUT.

As Neville pointed out to Keane. The penalty takers would have been chosen based on training performance and previous taking. They haven’t just drawn straws here .
Find this penalty thing and Jack quite ammusing really.
He is deemed not good enough for anything other than cameo appearances, but people saying he is a senior pro and should step up.

Maybe Pep knows a player at his level given his development and knows the difference between playing said player amongst a multi million pound squad who are trained and regular winners who know each other, but largely as a substitute who hasn't completed that many 90 minutes in the grand scheme of things and then somebody currently out of their depth at international level where their focus is their hair and they aren't being played in the position that saw them impress at club level to begin with?

But nice try. :thumbup:
Ever have a look at Aguero's hair?

I though Southgate had a poor evening , as did Mount.

I remember reading what Deano said after our penalty shoot out v Albion. I was fascinated about the attention to detail he paid to them and the procedures he and the players put in place to cope with them. Basically it wasn't a shock to them when the shoot out came , whereas a Sancho and Sako in particular looked petrified.

I can't for the life of me believe for one second that penalties weren't planned for, practiced, fine tuned, practiced some more. Given our history I think its obvious that pens would have been worked on a lot.

But you just can't ever plan for players losing their bottle.

I can only remember Jack ever taking one penalty for us and him missing it. He hit the bar or put it over from what I remember.

He’s only got 11 caps for England and most of those off the bench. In that sense as an England international he’s still wet behind the ears so I’m not really sure where this experienced pro is coming from.

I can only remember Jack ever taking one penalty for us and him missing it. He hit the bar or put it over from what I remember.

He’s only got 11 caps for England and most of those off the bench. In that sense as an England international he’s still wet behind the ears so I’m not really sure where this experienced pro is coming from.

He took one in the play offs and despatched it expertly. The one he missed was at Sheffield Utd in our first season back.

Far more pressure in taking a penalty for your country than your club. You’re taking on the national interest not just a club’s following. I remember Hoddle saying there was no point in practising penalties because you cannot recreate the drama of the moment. Now Southgate has proved that to be right, 3 of the best penalty takers in practise couldn’t get it right on the night. Not only that but it looks like Southgate held back his substitutions for this purpose when he could have made a lot more meaningful substitutions much earlier in the game, as Italy did.
As for future penalties, less science and more power. Stan the wham!!!! (For those who remember:unsure:)

Penalties are not just a lottery, it’s about skill, technique, handling the pressure. It’s part of the game, and we lost because of not 1, but 3 poor penalties. It’s not a glorious defeat it’s just being bad at one of the critical elements of tournament football.

I can't for the life of me believe for one second that penalties weren't planned for, practiced, fine tuned, practiced some more. Given our history I think its obvious that pens would have been worked on a lot.

But you just can't ever plan for players losing their bottle.

Agreed. Having said that I would back anyone with a short run up to miss.

Rashford had a long run up and then stopped !!!!

Not sure experience makes your less likely to bottle a pen. Countless examples in top level football of young players scoring and old players missing. I just watched Roy Keane lay into Grealish and Sterling but this isn't the 1990s anymore where the lads would go out and largely figure it out themselves.

In modern football everything meticulously planned and analysed to death. The penalty takers would have been chosen by the management team based on their analysis and evidence collected in training.

Grealish has said he would have stepped up to take one and I completely believe him. As I say, Southgate expects rigid conformity on every single aspect of the game, it's his way or the high way. This is all on him.

Agreed. Having said that I would back anyone with a short run up to miss.

Rashford had a long run up and then stopped !!!!
Rashford was asking to miss. There’s no way someone can compute that many actions in the run up in their head and then get a clean strike in such a pressurised environment

Penalties are not just a lottery, it’s about skill, technique, handling the pressure. It’s part of the game, and we lost because of not 1, but 3 poor penalties. It’s not a glorious defeat it’s just being bad at one of the critical elements of tournament football.

This .

And said same last night .

Just tired lame loser excuses to say its bad luck. Italy had good luck twice in 2 games then .
Nah . We have a fundamental problem in this country when it comes to football.

Get Sir Dave Brailsford or Clive Woodward in rather than that loser Sir Gareth.

Status
Not open for further replies.