The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 336 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t have XI Jack Grealish’s on the pitch though, you need a standard midfielder in there to do that stuff. But you don’t need fucking two for most games which is my problem. They actually started off well (as in the team), but in the second half Southgate didn’t know what he was doing. It was typical schoolboy on championship manager stuff.

I like a midfield and attack to be a sort of bowl, so that you have at least 2 passing options at any one time. Watching England - because those two are so deep - we usually have 1 or less forward passing options.

If it wasn’t for Sterling performing despite what many think of his as a footballer, I think Southgate would’ve been in big trouble weeks ago.
It was like watching a defence and midfield made entirely of Ray Wilkins clones.

Lots of thing Southgate needs to do differently, be far more expansive for starters. You have one of the very best strikers in the world but he looked utterly average for most of the tournament due to a lack of a supply line. I obviously would say this but IMO build the team around Grealish, he makes things happen, key pass and assist against Germany, key pass for one of the goals against Denmark.

You need a lot more at this level, he has tried to emulate Greece in Euro 2004 but England have far more quality at its disposal.

Great start, Italy adjusted, England went into their shell rather than counter adjusting, tried to cling on from the 3rd minute, and then after half time retreated to their own 18 yard line rather than the pressing further up the field that worked well in the first half.

Southgate dithered, left the attacking talent on the bench and then got the penalty takers wrong. Stupid horse face twat.

Jack and Sterling getting pelted for wussing out of taking a pen despite Southgate choosing the takers and order. I'm sure the facts won't get in the way of a good lynch mob though. Especially after Roy Keane has been ranting about it the tosser.

One of the former players said if anything goes wrong Southgate will say it is on him, and if they win, he'd take a step back and let the players take the praise.

I don't believe if one of the more senior, older, or more experienced players said they were taking a penalty, that they would have been stopped.

Totally agree, a few cowards letting Saka go for such a crucial pen. Really not impressed.
But the manager decided right?

I've seen this work with keepers coming on (e.g. Krul in that one world cup) but outfield players surely need time to warm to the task and hit the ball a bit.

Southgate most likely observed that the likes of Rashford, Sancho and Saka strike a good pen in a training situation and decided on the order. It's on him I'm afraid.

So after Southgate has chosen the takers, which were presumably already agreed upon before the game and has submitted the list to the ref Sterling or Grealish or whoever is meant to barge Saka out of the way and take one instead? Or is Saka meant to admit he doesn't have the mindset to take one? Or is someone meant to call the manager out in the huddle before the shootout and tell Southgate Saka shouldn't take one?

So, let's be honest. Who thought we would win tonight? (Just interested. Not being provocative).
Not me, and posted it before the game just so I couldnt be accused of putting the boot in after the event.
Massive, massive opportunity gone begging last night. Dont attach blame to any of the players, you get selected and go out and give it your best shot. If your not on your game we have a manager to sort that out, and he didnt.
I dont feel it for England the way I do for the Villa, but even so this was the chance to put our aweful record into the history books and give some of the younger fans something to remember.

Got to agree with Pangloss and JW on this one. Jordan Henderson was correctly lambasted for barging in prior to the tournament, so i won’t blame the more senior players still on the pitch.

As disappointing as last night was some of you are talking like we got knocked out at the group stage by losing to Iceland.

We reached the final and lost on penalties.

If we're really THAT bad there were 22 other teams worse than us. Even the best team in Europe needed penalties to beat us.

So after Southgate has chosen the takers, which were presumably already agreed upon before the game and has submitted the list to the ref Sterling or Grealish or whoever is meant to barge Saka out of the way and take one instead? Or is Saka meant to admit he doesn't have the mindset to take one? Or is someone meant to call the manager out in the huddle before the shootout and tell Southgate Saka shouldn't take one?

I think my point is Southgate has shouldered the blame, as manager, instead of letting players take responsibility.

But yes, if I was a senior pro, I would be saying very clearly I am taking one ahead of a youngster like Saka.

These are meant to be the cream of the crop, leaders each and every one, but as always happens when it comes to penalties, some go missing. I can never believe how many defenders are sent up (not just for England)

Anyway, done now, they over thought it, everything about pens, including the ridiculous way Rashford took his.

I think my point is Southgate has shouldered the blame, as manager, instead of letting players take responsibility.

But yes, if I was a senior pro, I would be saying very clearly I am taking one ahead of a youngster like Saka.

These are meant to be the cream of the crop, leaders each and every one, but as always happens when it comes to penalties, some go missing. I can never believe how many defenders are sent up (not just for England)

Anyway, done now, they over thought it, everything about pens, including the ridiculous way Rashford took his.

I think that could have had an extremely negative impact on Saka though. Basically he's being told he's not up to it and might still have to take one anyway. Especially if its another player stepping in front of him.

Surely decisive action is needed when naming the penalty takers and the manager decides who he wants to take them.

Lead from the top.
Southgate's entire MO as a manager is an expectation of rigid conformity. He doesn't allow players much freedom on the pitch and sets everything up in a very micromanaged way. I don't see how that wouldn't extend to the penalty takers as well. I doubt there was much scope for other players to step up. For this reason I'm not going to lambast any of them as cowards.

As disappointing as last night was some of you are talking like we got knocked out at the group stage by losing to Iceland.

We reached the final and lost on penalties.

If we're really THAT bad there were 22 other teams worse than us. Even the best team in Europe needed penalties to beat us.

No harm in opinions of why we lost though.

In fact it was a game we should have won, especially after the first 20 mins.

We were the better team in the first half, they were the better in the second, we improved massively in extra time and they looked like they were struggling a bit more. Then the damn pens.

I did think before the goal (and posted in here) we needed to make a few changes as we were inviting them on way too much in the 2nd half. This is something a lot of our Villa managers do as well, wait for the inevitable and then make the change.

I did think it was screaming out for Mount to be replaced in the 2nd half, and thought Rice was having a far better game than Phillips.

Pickford was very unlucky for the Italy goal, for his good save to hit the post and bounce back to Bonucci. That's football I guess.

To try to soak up the pressure that long was really not realistic.

Always disappointing with England, but this isn't heartbreaking like when Villa lose their finals.

With the manager, said all along, it is all about results, he got them all the way through and I don't think it is quite as easy as some seem to, about just throwing on loads of attackers and you'll thrash international opposition, but yesterday the changes were clearly needed, weren't made, as deano says, we still took them all the way and I said a few times, the game was a flip of a coin, two very good defensive outfits, not easy to break down at all.

We gave it a shot, sadly as England so often do, we fell short.

We have had this hard core violent mob ever since I can remember. It has virtually dissapeared at league matches, and I never feel unsafe at games anymore.
Sadly we cant seem to shake this lot off.
I think the FA could do more to stop this lot getting tickets now we have fully computerised purchasing systems.
As soon as they are dragged through the courts their names addresses etc should be linked.
Its not rocket science in this day and age to stop these scum bags.
If necessary on match days have them attend some sort of day detention centres and get them off the streets.
The yobs didn’t have tickets mate. I am a member of the supporters club, it’s incredibly well managed but it’s the Johnny come lately’s who turn up via unofficial means to cause trouble

I think that could have had an extremely negative impact on Saka though. Basically he's being told he's not up to it and might still have to take one anyway. Especially if its another player stepping in front of him.

Not really, teams are all about pecking orders, the senior players have earned the right to be just that, senior.

But whatever mate, it happened, whoever decided he was the right man to take such a crucial pen, in my humble, was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.