Football League clubs with governance issues | Vital Football

Football League clubs with governance issues

blueworm

Vital Youth Team
According the Kieran Maguire (cost of football podcast) the Football League has just published a list of clubs with known governance issues.

Gills are one of two League One clubs to be named, for being late to submit accounts (yet again) and for “Conditions under monitored loan agreement”. Anyone know what that is?

Here’s the source - - though I couldn’t find the original Football League source.

Gills are one of two League One clubs to be named, for being late to submit accounts (yet again)

I can never understand why some posters on here defend Scally about that, and make out that it is normal.

EFL obviously pointing out that it is not.

Transfer embargo!
What do the embargoes mean for signing players?
Under the EFL's operational rules surrounding embargoes, clubs do have some means of strengthening their squads "to protect the integrity" of the competition.
Clubs are permitted to 'staff up' so they have 23 players of professional standing, which is termed as players to have made at least one appearance for any club in any first-team competition.
If they have less than 23 players they are allowed, within a transfer window, to sign free agents on a maximum of one-year deals or bring in players on loan for up to half a season.
However, clubs cannot pay loan fees for players and cannot pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57760968

From reading down the twitter posts, we are still able to sign players if we have less than 23 senior players but we can only sign them for:
a) on a free transfer only
b) for a maximum contract length of 6 months (so up to the next transfer window)

What do the embargoes mean for signing players?
Under the EFL's operational rules surrounding embargoes, clubs do have some means of strengthening their squads "to protect the integrity" of the competition.
Clubs are permitted to 'staff up' so they have 23 players of professional standing, which is termed as players to have made at least one appearance for any club in any first-team competition.
If they have less than 23 players they are allowed, within a transfer window, to sign free agents on a maximum of one-year deals or bring in players on loan for up to half a season.
However, clubs cannot pay loan fees for players and cannot pay additional wages on top of the salary the player receives at their parent club.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57760968

Isn't this our squad anyway ? We didn't have 23 in the squad last year and I doubt if we pay any fees or any additional salary.

I might be wrong but it sounds like we comply with the embargo anyway.

Oof! That's a downer just as we were expecting signings. I worry it might mean we are more likely to have to sell too. We have our motivation for the new season at least. No mention on official site of course so we can't know if it's outstanding transfer fees, add ons, financial fair play rules, or something else. Evans and his obsessive nature will be needed to pluck a few from nowhere.

It will affect our ability to sign players on loan unless parent club pays 100% of their wages. Given we usually have the full quota of loan players possible then this could be a huge impact on our transfer business .

No mention on official site of course so we can't know if it's outstanding transfer fees, add ons, financial fair play rules, or something else.

As per the quote from the link on the original post, it is down to late submission of our annual accounts that were due to be submitted in April. The FL needs to be able to see them in order to confirn we have passed FFP rules.

As per the quote from the link on the original post, it is down to late submission of our annual accounts that were due to be submitted in April. The FL needs to be able to see them in order to confirn we have passed FFP rules.

Plus: Conditions under momnitored loan agreement.

It sounds like a little more than just late accounts and I suspect way more than 8 clubs didn't get theirs in on time.