Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky

I think Ollie is struggling on his own up against two premier league centre halves, without a winger or central midfielder within ten yards of him for most of the game. The times when he drops in or wide to link the play up, he’s 30 yards from the goal and the ball is whipped to fucking Trez and Bert.

The whole shape of the “4-3-3” we play where we’re supposed to be the attacking team leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a very disjointed 4-1-4-1 at best.

If we’re struggling with the same selection of players next game, it might be worth moving McGinn to a right forward position, he’s losing the ball too much in the middle for me. Perhaps he can cut in from the right and offer more than Bert, he seems to play more attacking and in that area for Scotland.

I just don‘t really see it. Never have but will give him time . I think its laughable he is in the England squad tbh, but as I said in the week his inclusion is more to do with the scarcity of options.

International class?. Kane .That’s international class.

I don't want to knock the lad but, I don't see some kind of Villa legend in the making that some see. we've had some shite strikers since Benteke and this lad is the best since Christian but it sure ain't Gary Shaw or Andy Gray

No surprise Spurs are better than us at the moment without Jack. We needed to score first or if not dont concede. There was only one result once they scored first and they have done it to better teams than us.

It just underlined the chronic lack of depth in our squad. Im sure those in charge will start to address this in the summer. It may take at least another couple of windows to establish ourselves as a top eight side. Oh and a LOT of money.

I just don‘t really see it. Never have but will give him time . I think its laughable he is in the England squad tbh, but as I said in the week his inclusion is more to do with the scarcity of options.

It’s true he did nothing tonight but how was playing Traore and Trez either side of him going to do any good?

Well that was a real shitshow from Villa. We really do lack quality in front of goal, Im not knocking Ollie before someone has a shitfit. I pity Ollie he works his bollocks off game after game feeding on fucking scraps of service.

We had the advantage, bossed the game for 30 minutes and did nothing with it, we presented Spurs with their first goal and the rest is history. Gutted truly gutted, given the choice between nailing my scrotum bag to the floor or watching that again Ill go fetch my hammer and nails.

If we were in the bottom three we would be playing Rotherham in the Championship next season on this form.

Since January 1st: 12 goals in 15 games. 3 wins in 15.

The team looks shapeless with no cohesion.

The tactics (whatever they are?) aren't working and we have become the easiest team in the Premier League to play against with everything on offer from us so predictable even down to the customary substitutions around 60 minutes and that's even if a few players are having a stinker.

Almost every week we keep hearing the same thing from Deano about how useless we were in games seemingly forgetting that it's him and his coaches who are the ones who send them out in that mindset.

I'm normally a glass-half-full type of person but that doesn't mean I will ignore any of the above and why should I!?

Yes but could you see a trough when we were flying ? That is the nature of sport and only the very best teams trough lasts a game or two , and the biggest problem will be confidence not talent. Once confidence goes then that's a real problem and it needs a spark to restore that.

The spark is currently injured !

I said weeks ago that as well as Ollie has been doing asking him to carry the forward line of Aston Villa for 90 minutes week in week out in the premier league will end up doing him more harm than good. This is his first season from Brentford it's an awful lot to ask of him. I think Watkins will be a great player for us for next 5 years but he isn't superman.

Never acted at HT and that is criminal for me , we don't look like scoring at all anymore
Fly on the wall time in Dean's office Monday morning. Who do we keep for next season ? asks Craig. Keeper and back four Boss. Jack,luis and Mcginn. Ollie and Anwar. Kids will be 12 months older. We have a tough run in and we look like a relegation outfit atm.Been a great season and,hopefully, we can build on the momentum and improve again.

If you are running away from the ball how can it be a pen?

And the tackle from Cash was away from the ball and Kane as well. After the ball went out of play Kane put his foot under Cash's and then fell over. I think those calling that tackle a "stupid" tackle are actually stupid !

The table doesn't lie. We are 10th, just in the top half. Probably about right. We may go up, or down. We're certainly higher than most people expected.

Saw the team sheet and had big doubts. The front 3 was the glaring weakness. Trez, Ollie and Bert, a makeshift front 3 not likely to link up. So it proved.

Elsewhere. Sanson is one for the future, if at all; good skills, not sure he can influence games. Barkley is one for the past; standing on the fringes watching things go by. Can understand DS taking a punt on him, but it's failed.

I'd suggest playing Marv, Doug and SJM, with one of the latter two further forwards, might have been better, but then again Sanson wasn't that bad. It's who plays with Ollie in the front 3 which is the problem. Sort that and we can start to look forwards.

In over 20 years I've never not known a side of the fence when it comes to manager/players.

There's the camp that are optimistic.
There's the camp who shit themselves at the team sheet.
There's the camp who only look at the last five fixtures to define the past and the future.
There's the camp who think 'unknown 18 year old in the reserves is the new great saviour.

And so on.

We're in woeful form, but that's to be expected with a proper squad of about 14 players. Nobody was calling for Europe ahead of the season, so quite why some (mainly Twitter) are calling for players to be sold or the manager to be sacked for basically achieving what we all agreed would be progress is beyond me.

But just as you don't expect the optimistic camp to be quiet when we lose, it would be nice if the pessimistic camp weren't quiet when we did win. I see Den's point. It's become way too much about point scoring.

Again this isn't new, but it's certainly trite and pathetic. It's one thing calling out posters for being contradictory - which is normal as we all post on the fly and get caught out at points - but some posts lately have been a disgrace in my humble, given the barbs and jibes that are point scoring based, rather than actual opinion.

I actually thought we were better again tonight, despite how poor we were. Spurs weren't in 3rd gear or unconfident. That is their normal level but tonight they scored (and then Mike Dean got his obligatory goal).

Fans were enjoying the winning, most on here weren't quiet. No good this bed wetting when fans have a different view.

Tonight was shite, fans have rightly said we are shite, including those of us who have been impressed this season and a few who have been Smith fans throughout.

Think a couple of you tonight, people I like and know well, are turning the frustration of the result on the wrong people.

How about calling out poor play, lack of changing things, and a poor run instead.

Everything is so binary these days.

Anyway, I've had enough of this crap for the night, so I'm off.

I think some of the posts tonight are totally out of order. Fans not being happy with a loss. Goodness me. Whatever next.

Oh and Smith wasn't satisfied, as well he shouldn't be.

So with nothing really to play for as the Europe dream has gone, why not blood the kids and see what they can do. Play Davis and Ollie up top together to see what they can do.
Start scouring the planet for a winger who is like Tony Morley.