The Model... | Vital Football

The Model...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... no, not Lewis Montsma (swoon!), but signing young players and selling them on.

Who do we think might fit that bill currently?

The Cowleys signed and sold on Raggett and Woodyard, plus others.

Can MA match that?

At one stage it looked like Roughan perhaps it still will

I think the rest are more useful as players to us. Before we sold to league one now that’s us so we would need to develop championship quality players to emulate that feat

... no, not Lewis Montsma (swoon!), but signing young players and selling them on.

Who do we think might fit that bill currently?

The Cowleys signed and sold on Raggett and Woodyard, plus others.

Can MA match that?
Not with the players he has at the moment bar Grant and Montsma

Based purely on three brief appearances, Max Sanders looks to have something about him. Roughan is still only 17 and has plenty of time on his side - I think he's too classy not to make it at a higher level. When Tayo Edun finds a position that really suits him, will get better and better.
All of these three have the potential to make money for the club.

I think there are a number of players who have the potential to move on and prove that model. However, as stated, we are ahead of schedule so watch this space we have the quality.

I think that next season will be more indicative of the long term plans concerning this. MA has said he wants less reliance upon loans moving forward, a position probably forced on us that bit more this season due to the pandemic. Next season I think we'll have fewer on loan and more signed players playing

Aside from the potential for big money moves I think a few might end up moving sideways for decent fees with young players brought in to replace them. That's a tricky model to pull off but I guess it's part of the idea.

As Sedgley mentions, I think it'll be a bigger shift towards the model next season. We've laid some groundwork (Roughan, Edun, Sanders and Scully spring to mind) but I suspect that, although we're ahead on the timeline in terms of league position, we might be a little further back in terms of recruitment.

By that I mean a few of our main players are loan signings and MA has said we'll be looking to be less reliant on that next season. Obvious circumstances probably changed the initial plan slightly.