Aston Villa v Leeds United Friday 23rd 8pm Match Thread | Page 44 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leeds United Friday 23rd 8pm Match Thread

I doubt Smith sent them out with an attitude, he's a humble guy and serious about his football. What is clear last night though is he sent them out without a proper plan. Leeds had a clear plan for Grealish and rendered him ineffective for the vast majority of the game. Then they had a clear plan for exploiting our flanks.

We didn't have a plan for any of their players. Harrison did as he pleased, we also had no strategy for getting Watkins in behind what is a fairly slow centre half pairing. We didn't have an answers during the match for stopping Leeds exploiting wide areas, specifically the right hand side.

I can’t imagine we had no plan.

And Smith isn’t the first manager to not change things when they aren’t working (Klopp v us)

We aren’t going to suddenly be a team that outwits everyone we come up against.

I’m not trying to suggest we played well, but only last week Smith was hailed as some as a tactical genius.

Also not suggesting people are wrong for saying we were totally outclassed.

But it is just one game and I can’t see how suddenly we are a shambles

not yet.... :lol:

I haven’t seen any of last night’s game so I’m relying on comments here to get a feeling for things. My first thoughts are that these things happen in this League, that Leeds are a good, well managed team who will do well this season and that our response to this defeat will tell us a lot about how we will progress this season. Also, we are a work in progress and our squad needs considerable work over the next couple of transfer windows.
There was a fair bit of speculation about Barkley’s fitness going into this match. Did he look fit last night?

I haven’t seen any of last night’s game so I’m relying on comments here to get a feeling for things. My first thoughts are that these things happen in this League, that Leeds are a good, well managed team who will do well this season and that our response to this defeat will tell us a lot about how we will progress this season. Also, we are a work in progress and our squad needs considerable work over the next couple of transfer windows.
There was a fair bit of speculation about Barkley’s fitness going into this match. Did he look fit last night?
Thats a better summary than most of us who watched it mate.

(not sure where the diagrams etc are coming from, they should be linked to, but really, we shouldn't be using other people's images/work. If done by users here, all good)

Thats a better summary than most of us who watched it mate.
I suggest he watches and let’s see his response then, I wish I hadn’t watched because I may feel it was just one of those nights, but I did watch it, and what a pathetic effort it was by everyone in Claret & Blue.

I suggest he watches and let’s see his response then, I wish I hadn’t watched because I may feel it was just one of those nights, but I did watch it, and what a pathetic effort it was by everyone in Claret & Blue.
I think it was one of those nights, and a very timely kick up the fuckin arse for all concerned.

Leeds were better than us on the night. It happens , that's sport , no one likes losing but shock horror we even lost games when we won the league.

Leeds did a number on us last night , pulled our players all over the place , we lost our shape and they exploited the gaps they created . Not sure they could have played better tbh and we were below par , but I would be interested to see how they are in March given the intensity they play at.

2 things lost us that game last night.

The midfield players were dreadful. They created very little going forward and rarely tracked back, heaping pressure on the defenders. Cash was left totally exposed on our right hand side and they exploited it well. Barkley looked unfit and lacking in pace and energy.

Bielsa had obviously studied us for hours and set his team up perfectly to exploit our weaknesses. We didn't respond to this so they continued to hit us the same way time after time.

We have to make sure that we don't get sussed out like Sheffield United have been this season by continuing to play the same formation and tactics.

Do the players deserve a kick up the backside? - absolutely.
Bear in mind though that It's only 5 or 6 games in but it's already looking like quite a strange season. For example, Man City have already dropped 7 points (they've just drawn with West Ham) out of a possible 15.
My point is that it's too early for us to be getting unduly uptight about one disappointing result.

I can take losing a game, specially after last season, but after the lockdown and the start to this season, to get beat by THREE goals takes a bit more getting over.

It shouldn't of happened!..... Specially against a team like Leeds, even though they did play well.

2 things lost us that game last night.

The midfield players were dreadful. They created very little going forward and rarely tracked back, heaping pressure on the defenders. Cash was left totally exposed on our right hand side and they exploited it well. Barkley looked unfit and lacking in pace and energy.

Bielsa had obviously studied us for hours and set his team up perfectly to exploit our weaknesses. We didn't respond to this so they continued to hit us the same way time after time.

We have to make sure that we don't get sussed out like Sheffield United have been this season by continuing to play the same formation and tactics.
Agree, but having said all of that we still had four very good chances to score and a good penalty shout turned down.
Also the cheating bastard that scored the goals shouldnt have been on the pitch.

I will watch as much of the game as the tv outlets allow and I will try to draw my own conclusions as objectively as I can. If it was a pathetic performance I’m sure I’ll be as disappointed as many who watched it live. I’m not sure it will change my opinion on the importance of how we respond in the next match though.

I can take losing a game, specially after last season, but after the lockdown and the start to this season, to get beat by THREE goals takes a bit more getting over.

It shouldn't of happened!..... Specially against a team like Leeds, even though they did play well.

Leeds have one of the worst defenses in the PL yet we drew a blank. That is worrying.

Do the players deserve a kick up the backside? - absolutely.
Bear in mind though that It's only 5 or 6 games in but it's already looking like quite a strange season. For example, Man City have already dropped 7 points (they've just drawn with West Ham) out of a possible 15.
My point is that it's too early for us to be getting unduly uptight about one disappointing result.

I think the problem is BBJ, the fact that being Villa supporters, we have a short memory. We saw enough defeats last season. Three goals was a nasty reminder.

Reactions: BBJ