The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 218 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

Colback definitely isn't a replacement for Watson, they might play in a similar area of the pitch but he's a very different player. Increased mobility, less passing and leadership.

But we playing a different style now, not relying on the fullbacks. Feel like colback needs the clough talk- win the ball and pass it to someone who can play.

I dont understand the anti-Yates stance taken by some.

He's only 22 and 'one of our own', which should be enough in some people's books but apparently not.
Remember, last season he had a knee operation; was behind on his fitness and then thrown in, probably too early, because many others werent 'fit'. Not our Ryan, he played on. He then put his face in front of everything and got a busted nose that would have put several players out for a few weeks. But not our Ryan, he put on a plastic mask and played on, continuing to put his face where it hurts. Commitment; and an ability to recover from niggles only matched by Matty Cash last season.

He can only get better (and seems to be doing so).
He can only get fitter and more confident.
The bottom line is, we need Yates and his physicality in midfield at the moment.

On paper, Fred and Colback are interchangeable, as is Ryan and Sow. On the basis Sow is 50% injured each season, then we will need Ryan for at least 20-25 games unless we get a stella signing (see what I did there?). Im not against improving the team, but until that better player is signed, get behind what we have.

You cannot doubt Yates' commitment but it is his talent and ability. He could and will improve, but when we have Colback, Fred and Sow do we also need Yates?

Perhaps he and we need to change the perception of the role he has. I think he should be looking at someone like Henderson at Liverpool. Not the most talented player but can run like the wind for 90 mins, breaking up play and then giving to others that have more ability. If that was his role and he nailed it then I would be happy with that, or am I missing something?

You cannot doubt Yates' commitment but it is his talent and ability. He could and will improve, but when we have Colback, Fred and Sow do we also need Yates?

Perhaps he and we need to change the perception of the role he has. I think he should be looking at someone like Henderson at Liverpool. Not the most talented player but can run like the wind for 90 mins, breaking up play and then giving to others that have more ability. If that was his role and he nailed it then I would be happy with that, or am I missing something?

I would say that it is an either/or with Yates and Sow, and with the latter's propensity for picking up bookings, yes, Yates is very much needed.

As for the Henderson comparison; it took quite a few seasons of mediocrity before Henderson became the player he is; it is a very difficult role to master.

I dont understand the anti-Yates stance taken by some.

He's only 22 and 'one of our own', which should be enough in some people's books but apparently not.
Remember, last season he had a knee operation; was behind on his fitness and then thrown in, probably too early, because many others werent 'fit'. Not our Ryan, he played on. He then put his face in front of everything and got a busted nose that would have put several players out for a few weeks. But not our Ryan, he put on a plastic mask and played on, continuing to put his face where it hurts. Commitment; and an ability to recover from niggles only matched by Matty Cash last season.

He can only get better (and seems to be doing so).
He can only get fitter and more confident.
The bottom line is, we need Yates and his physicality in midfield at the moment.

On paper, Fred and Colback are interchangeable, as is Ryan and Sow. On the basis Sow is 50% injured each season, then we will need Ryan for at least 20-25 games unless we get a stella signing (see what I did there?). Im not against improving the team, but until that better player is signed, get behind what we have.

I certainly wouldn't want to see him lining up against us.

I dont doubt hes got limitations- that's clear; but he does have the physical attributes to complement other more technical/skillful players. Every showboater needs a water carrier.

And as many 'poor relation' championship teams demonstrate year after year, graft and effort is very important, especially in this league.

Did you not see the ball that Colback pinged out to the left flank for Blackett in the first half? He has a decent left foot!

Actually i did see that cos it was one of the few times it didnt go backwards. Jack needs time to find his feet again as well. I am happy he is back but dont think he is a straight swap with watson.

Our last 23 competitive games see us with a record of won: 6, drew: 9, lost: 8. That form will keep us out of the relegation zone but won't do much else.

Actually i did see that cos it was one of the few times it didnt go backwards. Jack needs time to find his feet again as well. I am happy he is back but dont think he is a straight swap with watson.
No, I agree and he seemed to play quite a different position to Watson on Sat as he and Yates both sat deep a lot of the time and Colback found himself pushed out towards the right hand side quite often.