The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 172 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

As a small aside, I think many don't understand the pressure the press guys are under these days, to churn out 'something' and to try to get people clicking. They aren't seen as journalists or reporters now, they are as good as information compilers (I saw one established journo say the game has gone when he was told that title) and they have little to no choice (apart from finding new careers/not easy when you have qualified and wanted to do this) but to do what their paymasters say.

Then they face the wrath of the vile social media, especially twitter, people who are just non stop abusive but still click the fucking articles in order to slate them.

It has changed massively, and yes, 90% or more is junk.

Some might remember I used to do transfer articles, I tried to talk about the benefits or otherwise of the players linked, if I thought the link was right or not, who the incoming player might complement or replace and so on and so forth. And then I'd do a long list in this annual thread, of all the links. At the end of the summer, I'd cross out all the false links. Most were crossed out! You try that sort of detail these days and people don't want it, they want a throwaway line and some bullshit about who clicked what on twitter.

The newspaper people have seen a slow decline of their industry, the internet being so much newer, i believe I've seen a quick decline. I could do an article disagreeing with the majority on Grealish for instance, and say it is up to the manager, and so on. You can guarantee if you then put that on twitter, you'd get dogs abuse because you aren't agreeing with the majority.

I think MF who has been in this game a long time also, @mike_field will also confirm, it is a right shit storm now.

So don't shoot the messenger I guess is what I am saying, they have kids to feed and mortgages to pay and actually, if people didn't want to be fed this crap, we'd still be getting decent, deep analysis stuff, not twitter reacts!

Last edited:
Other clubs did not need to move as quickly as us due to the fact our league position at the end of the season suggests we have the weakest squad of those who avoided the drop.
I just hope we are not relying on the 3 coming up to be worse as that will not be the case.
We have got one of the worst squads in the league and last season confirms it. We need to get a fucking move on with signings that's for sure.

As a small aside, I think many don't understand the pressure the press guys are under these days, to churn out 'something' and to try to get people clicking. They aren't seen as journalists or reporters now, they are as good as information compilers (I saw one established journo say the game has gone when he was told that title) and they have little to no choice (apart from finding new careers/not easy when you have qualified and wanted to do this) but to do what their paymasters say.

Then they face the wrath of the vile social media, especially twitter, people who are just non stop abusive but still click the fucking articles in order to slate them.

It has changed massively, and yes, 90% or more is junk.

Some might remember I used to do transfer articles, I tried to talk about the benefits or otherwise of the players linked, if I thought the link was right or not, who the incoming player might complement or replace and so on and so forth. And then I'd do a long list in this annual thread, of all the links. At the end of the summer, I'd cross out all the false links. Most were crossed out! You try that sort of detail these days and people don't want it, they want a throwaway line and some bullshit about who clicked what on twitter.

The newspaper people have seen a slow decline of their industry, the internet being so much newer, i believe I've seen a quick decline. I could do an article disagreeing with the majority on Grealish for instance, and say it is up to the manager, and so on. You can guarantee if you then put that on twitter, you'd get dogs abuse because you aren't agreeing with the majority.

I think MF who has been in this game a long time also, @mike_field will also confirm, it is a right shit storm now.

So don't shoot the messenger I guess is what I am saying, they have kids to feed and mortgages to pay and actually, if people didn't want to be fed this crap, we'd still be getting decent, deep analysis stuff, not twitter reacts!
Nicely put JP we often say before we think, which I’m guilty of too.

The last 4 games covered over so many cracks and it seems a lot of people have forgotten how rubbish we were last season.

We'll be finishing rock bottom next season at this rate.
We’re about 3 weeks from kick off, luckily, should be 2
and you’re right we were shite last season apart from 4 games, and if Watford Hadn’t capitulate we’d be gone, god knows we need a start like no other, because our last 10 games are not kind.
It’s imperative that we get people in or I’m afraid it’s going only one way.

No big business operates without a plan and our club with the two owners and Purslow involved and the way they operate, we certainly have a plan. That was not true for some previous years.
We had the issue of not knowing until the end of July what plan we were operating to.

We have no idea which targets are being negotiated and will not until the player is announced. We will never know about the ones that got away.

As Fear says 90% of the stories are made up, just to get clicks on the internet or papers bought. Yet we all read it and even believe some of the good and bad, so those stories carry on being written.

We all want, well I do, signings made early, but I think this window is going to be very strange in that I think there will be lots of late signings by most clubs, due to the short period of the window, the window closing 3 weeks after the season starts and the unknown of the financial impact of Covid.

Add to that an international weekend the weekend before the league starts and this year’s window is the most bizarre that we will hopefully ever see.

I'll start limbering up to start running round in circles waving my arms in panic then.
I’m not sure it’s panic, more bewilderment, that we seem to wait and wait and wait, and then when players do arrive they’re getting up to speed playing important premier league games, instead of pre-season with the team, manager and staff.
Like I said earlier we don’t have that safety that 75% of prem teams do...again hope I’m completely wrong.

Last year we were guaranteed to be arguing about why it was taking us so long to sign Tweedledum, only for Tweedledee to arrive the next day without us knowing we were in for them. I'll start panicking in another week if there's nowt.

I’m not sure it’s panic, more bewilderment, that we seem to wait and wait and wait, and then when players do arrive they’re getting up to speed playing important premier league games, instead of pre-season with the team, manager and staff.
Like I said earlier we don’t have that safety that 75% of prem teams do...again hope I’m completely wrong.

Same here, it's not panic........ it's more like anger and frustration.

I think last season was it that the window closed the day before KO now it's a month after KO which gives agents time to milk it for another month and agents will be the problem. Clubs voted to extend the Transfer window I believe, so it's partly their own fault if they get long drawn out transfer sagas.

Last year we were guaranteed to be arguing about why it was taking us so long to sign Tweedledum, only for Tweedledee to arrive the next day without us knowing we were in for them. I'll start panicking in another week if there's nowt.

I'll look forward to it.