Coronavirus | Page 43 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Junior 1 has a cough. Out of nowhere. No other symptoms . Had it for last 24hrs.

I have a minor sore throat , bit of a stuffy nose but do actually feel pretty shattered.

Mine don't fit the symptoms. His does in terms of cough. No temperature but advice says either/or.

So what does he do ? 14 days isolation ?. That means I should. Junior 2 should and most importantly Mrs M.

The reason Mrs M is most important is because she is clinical team manager at her unit. She is up to her eyes in this planning. No one can take her work on. She cannot take 14 days off at this current time. She cannot work from home .What if every NHS worker took this stance?

Answers on a post card....:shrug:

Last edited:
Completely insane that last week it was business as usual and now it’s nearly complete lockdown. Apparently 250,000 would have died had the government followed its previous advice, obviously difficult situation but as I said completely insane the severity of the u-turn. If the death rate is 1-2% and they reckon 20-50% of the population would be infected then the maths isn’t difficult to work out, but a couple of days ago apparently it wasn’t an issue..

Last edited:
Junior 1 has a cough. Out of nowhere. No other symptoms . Had it for last 24hrs.

I have a minor sore throat , bit of a stuffy nose but do actually feel pretty shattered.

Mine don't fit the symptoms. His does in terms of cough. No temperature but advice says either/or.

So what does he do ? 14 days isolation ?. That means I should. Junior 2 should and most importantly Mrs M.

The reason Mrs M is most important is because she is clinical team manager at her unit. She is up to her eyes in this planning. No one can take her work on. She cannot take 14 days off at this current time. She cannot work from home .What if every NHS worker took this stance?

Answers on a post card....:shrug:
I would say it’s time to self isolate, some people only get mild or even no symptoms hence why you are not badly effected in line with the official symptoms. If Mrs M has the virus even with no symptoms but works at a hospital then surely the worst thing she could do is go into work and have the risk of infecting everyone there

I know I shouldn't laugh, but one of the best conspiracies to come out of this is it's a Gov plan to quietly kill off the elderly given Brexit, because they are now a net drain on the economy/benefits/NHS and they want to create more economic wriggle room.

I won't even begin to list the flaws in that 'theory' as I'm sure people will spot them on their own.

Considering David ruined the fun with a sensible answer. I guess the obvious thing would be to ring into work tomorrow and see what they say given your concerns about the littlen.

It might not be ideal, but surely they'll be a compromise somewhere?

I actually think it may be better to make an impactful decision which is quite extreme with immediate effect so that people do it, and are shell shocked into doing it. As an outsider currently in Spain, it’s interesting to see the tactics and like a few rebel British and Northern Europeans tourists we disobeyed and got marched back by the police (although legitimately to the shop in my case).

If the govt drip feeds restrictions in and we are seeing deaths in the 10’s or 100’s, it won’t warrant the understanding of 60m people to obey the orders.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but one of the best conspiracies to come out of this is it's a Gov plan to quietly kill off the elderly given Brexit, because they are now a net drain on the economy/benefits/NHS and they want to create more economic wriggle room.

I won't even begin to list the flaws in that 'theory' as I'm sure people will spot them on their own.

Ironically corona would help reverse some of the burden on the taxpayer for care for the elderly along with the increased costs in the future as we lose valuable contributions from EU workers whether financially or operationally, but it’s not really a vote winner for them tories letting tens of thousands die, is it? And none of us want it to be our nans health on the line (me included).

I would say it’s time to self isolate, some people only get mild or even no symptoms hence why you are not badly effected in line with the official symptoms. If Mrs M has the virus even with no symptoms but works at a hospital then surely the worst thing she could do is go into work and have the risk of infecting everyone there

Blimey. What a kerfuffle!.

Ironically corona would help reverse some of the burden on the taxpayer for care for the elderly along with the increased costs in the future as we lose valuable contributions from EU workers whether financially or operationally, but it’s not really a vote winner for them tories letting tens of thousands die, is it? And none of us want it to be our nans health on the line (me included).
It was kind of my first thought.

The Tories wouldn't 'remove' their largest voter base, and would you really happily kill off older folks whilst trying to tell the loaned Labour/Lib votes that you'd turned over a new leaf and were now a caring party interested in all?

But it's a theory some are now convinced by it seems!

One of the consultants Mrs M works with has been self isolating with symptoms and has to now consider this 14 days advice. The consultants hubby is an A and E Trauma consultant . If you were grading hospital staff a Trauma consultant would be up there at the top i guess.
Mrs M has been speaking with her tonight. And the hubby is saying it is more damaging for him to be off than to go in.

It's an impossible situation that we will be facing. The 70 year old person with trauma dies because they cannot be seen in time due to lack of staff who are self isolating or they die because they contracted corona from a consultant who had to work.

as a key position, by the sound of it, then logically you'd get tested and establish whether isolation is needed. Can't imagine it's going to be unusual for NHS staff to need testing over the next few weeks.

They are not testing like that BringbakMon. NHS staff or not. You would need to test daily .
Advice is the same whether you get diagnosed or not. 14 days.

Yup, but you and Mrs Melon can't think like that and put it all on yourselves as if you over panic given her job and she hears some shit hits the fan you'll feel like crap. Just as if you skirt it and there's then an outbreak at her place of work and shit hits the fan.

Honestly, she needs to ring in to 'her boss', detail it properly with the littlen given it's absolutely 50/50. I saw your second post about testing, but she can ask and push for one just for herself given her position (not you lot lol) as a short term fix.

Good Hope has a drive in now for some cases I heard, as to do other hospitals - but I don't know the qualification criteria.

Work from home as best she can for a couple of days, or see if she can be better isolated at work as a stop gap (not fool proof I realise but a compromise). You can take some steps yourself at home to ease the mind as well I imagine (again not fool proof).

Not ideal, but with a bit of wrangling if you can somehow get a definitive answer for her piece of mind in 3/4 days as opposed to 14, that has to be an improvement in my head.

But given her position at work - absolutely take the decision off your heads and your pay grades is my humble advice. Given what I know of you, it's a no win, so I assume the missus is of a like mind (to put up with you for a start lol), so make the no win someone else's call.

Advice is very clear to me, and it makes my work extremely problematic. I am picking up a laptop left outside someones front door tomorrow! Common sense is needed, and judging by the pathetic bulk buying in supermarkets, to enforce a lockdown straight away would lead to riots on the streets. Better to get the majority of decent people doing it voluntarily and then get heavy handed with the selfish arseholes later. Im expecting the kids to be off school by the weekend, to last to a week after Easter. So I'm planning some garden work and spring clean and a bit of DIY for a few weeks.

I'd imagine there will be a huge loss of jobs (even already) in the UK as places close up for the next while. Is there anything in place to sort that mess?

Just curious, as this evening I watched the Irish cabinet give a press conference and this was addressed as 140,000 have lost their jobs. Emergency welfare has been made available with people being able to apply online and avoid welfare centres.

As much as I would complain about the Irish government here for many things, I can't complain about how they have handled this so far, there has been a lot of transparency.

I can't name the companies, but a number are already laying off the workforce - without pay - as Chairman/Directors cover the bottom line (and the cynic says their own wages).

Is the emergency welfare standard stat sick pay as per National Insurance? Roughly £98 a week I think?

I can't name the companies, but a number are already laying off the workforce - without pay - as Chairman/Directors cover the bottom line (and the cynic says their own wages).

Is the emergency welfare standard stat sick pay as per National Insurance? Roughly £98 a week I think?

I'm not exactly sure, I don't know if it varies from person to person, but the flat rate for jobseekers allowance is €203 a week after being means tested.