Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 22 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Or maybe he's not intelligent enough to be a coach?

Great player he may have been but coaching (essentially teaching) requires intelligence and lets be honest before he came to us we all thought he was a thick as fcuk neanderthal. Just look at his parents.

Maybe this is why he lacks the confidence to be a manager and didn't do the same as Lampard and Gerrard. Maybe he knows he's out of his depth and not very good at it.

I've no idea what ability Terry has or hasn’t as a coach although Mings said good things about him. They’re not teaching rocket science or brain surgery, sometimes you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

I know one thing we have 11? games left that's 11 points already if we don't concede, If we can score a goal in a couple of them we are safe and that is much easier said than done but that is how easy it is on paper.
if it means playing 8 at the back so be it

The answer is Dean Smith. Its not this player or that, its not the players we didn't sign that's making us so easy to score against and beat - its Dean Smith and the fact that he's well and truly out of his depth.

Worse he's stubbornly refusing to use the experience we've had so far to identify the bleeding obvious that you can't set up to play like Liverpool and Man Citeh without the players to match.

Unless he changes or is changed we will not win the games needed to survive and we'll keep on putting these pathetic performances on and miss the opportunity within our grasp to stay up.

Far, far too open Dean, please grow up and fucking sort it.
Its Dean Smith's fault that Engels tried to control a ball in the 91st minute with his studs is it? Because that's a point lost. Every game is a defensive mistake, not tactical ineptitude.

Southampton away our players didnt even turn up, nothing to do with tactics just a group of players that can't deal with playing in a high stakes premier league game. Dean's fault that El Ghazi wanted to come off in the 25th minute after hurting his cheek?

You're wrong to scapegoat the manager. We have poor players in the strongest league in the world. How we are above three teams when we haven't had a decent striker or wingers and have lost our best player in McGinn is beyond me.

Terry is assistant manager not defensive coach, we employ defensive coaches to specifically work with the defence. Terry obviously has input but it's not his main responsibility. People need to drop this meme that Terry is behind our shite defence.

Bad coaching as a collective, bad purchases last summer and Smith's tactics (and anyone who inputs heavily into the tactics) are to blame. It's a collective 'effort'.

Terry is assistant manager not defensive coach, we employ defensive coaches to specifically work with the defence. Terry obviously has input but it's not his main responsibility. People need to drop this meme that Terry is behind our shite defence.

Bad coaching as a collective, bad purchases last summer and Smith's tactics (and anyone who inputs heavily into the tactics) are to blame. It's a collective 'effort'.
No it's not, it's players, players, players.

Hause cost 3m, by what logic is he going to defend against premier league talent when most front threes in the league cost well over 50m?

The only defender we have that's any good I the one we splashed 20m on. Konsa is a signing for the future, looks decent but hes not a premier league starter in 2020. Engels has cost us points, Hause has cost us points. Even Mings moments of what the **** have cost us points against Leicester at home and Bournemouth away.

To have scored as many goals as we have and to have won as many games as we have as play off winners, the coaching staff are doing something right. Dont turn against the good points of the club, turn against the players because they are what need replacing in 4 months time.

In Jurgen Klopp's first full season at Liverpool, the team conceded 50 goals, lost 10 games and finished 8th.

Was that a result of his coaching or because he had the likes of Lovren in defence, Mignolet in goal?

Blaming Dean Smith on goals conceded is just damaging to the football club. The players simply arent good enough, let's see if they can scrape enough points together to stay up and then we can sign six or seven decent players to replace the likes of Elmo, Taylor, Chester, Lansbury, Hourihane. We need better players, not a new coach.

You have to set optimally given the resources at your disposal. Yes we have some shit players but deploying five at the back isn't working and exposing weak players even more.

Of course Smith takes some blame for this, it is his system. To say it has nothing to do with him is a cop out of epic proportions.

There are no certainties in the transfer market. Every spend is a gamble and considering we had 13 players leave in the summer, we've had to make more, bigger gambles on players than is ideal in replacing them under FFP.

Blame/credit all lies at the head coach's feet, correct. However, it's fair to consider the constraints that he's working under

Its Dean Smith's fault that Engels tried to control a ball in the 91st minute with his studs is it? Because that's a point lost. Every game is a defensive mistake, not tactical ineptitude.

Southampton away our players didnt even turn up, nothing to do with tactics just a group of players that can't deal with playing in a high stakes premier league game. Dean's fault that El Ghazi wanted to come off in the 25th minute after hurting his cheek?

You're wrong to scapegoat the manager. We have poor players in the strongest league in the world. How we are above three teams when we haven't had a decent striker or wingers and have lost our best player in McGinn is beyond me.

There are no certainties in the transfer market. Every spend is a gamble and considering we had 13 players leave in the summer, we've had to make more, bigger gambles on players than is ideal in replacing them under FFP.

Blame/credit all lies at the head coach's feet, correct. However, it's fair to consider the constraints that he's working under

5th biggest spenders in Europe.

You have to set optimally given the resources at your disposal. Yes we have some shit players but deploying five at the back isn't working and exposing weak players even more.

Of course Smith takes some blame for this, it is his system. To say it has nothing to do with him is a cop out of epic proportions.
What system do you play to stop Engels trying to control the ball with his heels when Son is running at him then?

Until McGinn is back we dont have the personnel to play 4-3-3. We only have one striker so we cant play 2 up front. What do you want from Dean?

Smith bought Mings, Engels, Konsa, Targett and Hause.

So wheter you blame his coaching or the players the blame lies firmly at his feet.
Jesus is sporting director and is in charge of transfers. Dean is head coach and has us in 17th and a league cup final. He's moulded cowshit into a castle in my opinion.

I know one thing we have 11? games left that's 11 points already if we don't concede, If we can score a goal in a couple of them we are safe and that is much easier said than done but that is how easy it is on paper.
if it means playing 8 at the back so be it

The problem with that approach is we are saying to teams come on and attack us for 90 minutes and we haven’t got the personnel to repel that. I’d rather see a back four and if we go more defensive minded put Hause at left back giving three big men in defence at least.

Jesus is sporting director and is in charge of transfers. Dean is head coach and has us in 17th and a league cup final. He's moulded cowshit into a castle in my opinion.

I’m sorry this argument that Dean doesn’t have anything to do with signings is absurd. He spoke himself about the transfer WhatsApp group buzzing all the time between Suso, himself and Purslow. If he doesn’t have the final say he should have walked out or made it known. Why? Because he knows he will be the one who is sacked.

Inadequate players are the biggest problem. We have four Premier League quality players and two of them are long term absentees through injury. Reina could constitute a fifth and Samatta could yet prove himself. The rest are Championship quality or young players who might come good in a team with seven or eight Premier quality players around them. Some just don't have the bottle to perform when things go against them. I'm not having the lack of motivation as an excuse. Their pride at not wanting to look like a bunch of second raters should be enough of a kick up the backside to motivate them. The only excuse I could allow them is if they genuinely don't understand their role in the team.

Or maybe he's not intelligent enough to be a coach?

Great player he may have been but coaching (essentially teaching) requires intelligence and lets be honest before he came to us we all thought he was a thick as fcuk neanderthal. Just look at his parents.

Maybe this is why he lacks the confidence to be a manager and didn't do the same as Lampard and Gerrard. Maybe he knows he's out of his depth and not very good at it.
I find this post distasteful.

Constraints? We were the 2nd biggest spending club in the Country. I'm sure there are loads of other managers in the Premier League who would give their right arm to work under those constraints.

Inadequate players are the biggest problem. We have four Premier League quality players and two of them are long term absentees through injury. Reina could constitute a fifth and Samatta could yet prove himself. The rest are Championship quality or young players who might come good in a team with seven or eight Premier quality players around them.

Reckon lack of organisation and workrate are the biggest problem tbh (altho quality isn't too far behind).
How many Prem quality players do Sheff Utd have in comparison to us ?