Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 19 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

My own prediction is Norwich, Watford and Villa to go down, so hoping I'm wrong. I feel a bit doom and gloom at the minute... I don't pray, but if I thought it would help, I'd have sore knees lol lol

We bottom of the league on every defensive stat you can think of, which I'm afraid lads will lead to one thing Relegation.
We need to start playing for some clean sheets , stop the other team scoring and then break with Jack .

These Wingers or whatever they are are totally useless.

We bottom of the league on every defensive stat you can think of, which I'm afraid lads will lead to one thing Relegation.
We need to start playing for some clean sheets , stop the other team scoring and then break with Jack .

These Wingers or whatever they are are totally useless.
This is why I cannot fathom out what the bloody hell John Terry gets paid for, what is his input,what does he spend all week doing.
Like him or loath him, as a player he played at the very highest level.
He was used to going away from home with Chelsea and England and having to grind out results, marshall the defence and the midfield and lead the dressing room.
Did he learn nothing, or is he not listened to by the players or Smith.
Or is it just a case of the team we have assembled are just not good enough and he cant do anything with them.
I cant believe that our midfield cannot be better set up to stop goals, because at the moment the opposition just run straight through us.

This is why I cannot fathom out what the bloody hell John Terry gets paid for, what is his input,what does he spend all week doing.
Like him or loath him, as a player he played at the very highest level.
He was used to going away from home with Chelsea and England and having to grind out results, marshall the defence and the midfield and lead the dressing room.
Did he learn nothing, or is he not listened to by the players or Smith.
Or is it just a case of the team we have assembled are just not good enough and he cant do anything with them.
I cant believe that our midfield cannot be better set up to stop goals, because at the moment the opposition just run straight through us.

Pretty sure the way the team is set up is down to Smith, all the way. And the training is run by O' Kelly in line with Smith's expectations. Totally a guess on my part, but I think JT is mainly coaching individual players.

JT has way more PL experience than Smith, O'Kelly and Cutler combined. I think he knows how the defence should be operating. But we're not seeing it. Smith wants the team playing his way. JT wouldn't have the CBs playing so far up the pitch they're easily bypassed.

It’s been a steady decline in results and resorting to 3 centre halves has taken us to the shocking low of letting in more goals than any other team in the league. Error stricken throughout its hard to pick a player apart from Jack that should be anywhere but the championship, which is where they are heading. That’s the reality. Yes, Trez, Jota and Ghazi but add to that the back 5, Luiz and in particular for me Average Nakamba.
The only hope is if Dean can think of something radical that comes off but otherwise we’re doomed.

Recent stats for the bottom 7....
Newcastle..1 win in 10
Brighton 1 win in 12
Bournemouth 1 win in 3 ( though 6 defeats in last 8 )
Villa 1 win in 6
West Ham 1 win in 8
Watford 1win in 6
Norwich 1win in 14

Conclusion.....the bottom 7 are all playing shite, are all in the shite....and it’s still all to play for!

Recent stats for the bottom 7....
Newcastle..1 win in 10
Brighton 1 win in 12
Bournemouth 1 win in 3 ( though 6 defeats in last 8 )
Villa 1 win in 6
West Ham 1 win in 8
Watford 1win in 6
Norwich 1win in 14

Conclusion.....the bottom 7 are all playing shite, are all in the shite....and it’s still all to play for!

If any team can put a little run together of 3 or 4 wins, they can lift themselves well clear of this scrap. Just frustrating we dont seem capable of doing that currently.
I don't agree with all this talk of needing a high number of points to survive this season. Quite a few teams are struggling to find a win and the likes of us, Bournemouth West Ham have tough run ins.

If any team can put a little run together of 3 or 4 wins, they can lift themselves well clear of this scrap. Just frustrating we dont seem capable of doing that currently.
I don't agree with all this talk of needing a high number of points to survive this season. Quite a few teams are struggling to find a win and the likes of us, Bournemouth West Ham have tough run ins.

I think we can survive. But what's worrying a lot of people myself included is the manner of the defeat at Southampton. This is the point in the season where I expected us to start showing consistency, not putting on a display where everyone including the manager looks like headless chickens. It raises the question has something seriously gone wrong.

Maybe not. Maybe team spirit is still fine, maybe we can put in enough good performances to win a few. I'm not too worried about the position we're in. I am worried about whether we can turn ourselves round. 3 wins and a couple of draws would see us survive, I reckon.

The lack of fight v a winnable team (I know technically they are all winnable, but our record v top ten is awful) was a major blow to those of you who had more hope. Was a blow to me and I've had less hope, albeit that mad voice in the head you can't shake still tries to scream 'this is the match we'll win' over and over again!

I think I've be fairly positive most of the season, but yes Saturday was disgusting really.

Southampton had the worst home record in the division going into that game having lost 8 of their 13 home games yet we made them look like 70's Brazil.

It's come to the point now that you have to question the coaching and the tactics.

Why are we always so open?

Why are we always conceding chances?

Why do we never capitalise when the opposition go down to 10 men?

Why can we never hang on to leads?

Why have we only earnt 1 point against the top 10 sides this season, yet other teams in our situation find a way to be competitive against the better sides one way or another.

We need to start asking questions and looking for solutions, as if we continue to just keep approaching the games the same week in week out we are definitely going down.

Smith was lauded as some type of tactical genius before he came and yet he seems incapable of changing anything dependent on the opposition.

I tell you one thing for absolutely certain we'd not have conceded a league worst 52 goals in 27 games if Bruce was in charge.

It seems to me our whole season now rests on 3 games. Newcastle, Palace and West Ham.

Win all 3 of those and hope that 34 points (maybe 35 or 36 if we can scrape a couple of draws) is enough.

Would anyone put money on us winning those 3 games though?

I tell you one thing for absolutely certain we'd not have conceded a league worst 52 goals in 27 games if Bruce was in charge.

Understand your point but Newcastle have actually conceded the most goals away from home this season which takes some doing when ourselves and Norwich have been so open. Much tighter at home defensively but have only scored 12. So yes a Brucey team would probably be tighter and even though we’d be bored shitless watching them, we could all probably cope with a few bored shitless matches between now and May if it means getting the necessary points on the board. As many have said, to do that, Deano has to change the system.....not convinced he will.

It seems to me our whole season now rests on 3 games. Newcastle, Palace and West Ham.

Win all 3 of those and hope that 34 points (maybe 35 or 36 if we can scrape a couple of draws) is enough.

Would anyone put money on us winning those 3 games though?

I think we could beat Sheff Utd at home too.

I agree 36 points might be enough this season.

But I wouldn't put money on us winning any more games this season, and I'd put money on anything.

I think we can get points from a few more games. All our home games are winnable if we play like we have in most of the home games this season.

Everyone is a bit miserable at the moment but I think most neutrals would agree we are good enough to stay up and deserve to based on our performances on the whole this season.

"Aston Villa are set to target defenders at the end of the season"

No sh.t Sherlock, again more lazy media coverage I wonder which reporter thought that up, thought we had done that last summer. You heard it here, an experienced CB to go with Tyrone... if he's still with us that is ... Konsa and Hause haven't been up to it... I do believe Cahill would have been ideal... but then who am I ....

I've interviewed loads of people in the last few years after vetting CV's for hours and throwing most of them in the bin, especially after checking Facebook profiles for any signs of Bluenose! seriously!

We used to have to score them against a set of answers to questions that were in general nothing to do with the job. Then I'd ask them the technical stuff but at the end, I'd add a few of my own and have a relaxed chat, it's amazing what people will tell you when they think the interview is over.
In my last interview I was asked a question and replied, do you want the bullshit answer or my honest one, I got the promotion.

I think we can get points from a few more games. All our home games are winnable if we play like we have in most of the home games this season.

Everyone is a bit miserable at the moment but I think most neutrals would agree we are good enough to stay up and deserve to based on our performances on the whole this season.

Home games are key. They will decide whether we stay up or not. Away from home we are like a bunch of little kittens.

We should have had a point against Spurs, we could take points from the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea if we can put in a performance. We actually need to if we're to survive.