Manchester City vs Aston Villa match thread | Page 22 | Vital Football

Manchester City vs Aston Villa match thread

I don't think we should start Davis against Van Dijk.
I do think we should have given him 40 minutes to 'rough up' Stones & Co.

Any specific ones?

The chance that fell to Hourihane and then to El Ghazi last week. I think a lot of those carbon copy type chances we create he is at the front post. He scored one of those chances at Norwich because the marking was non-existent.

Part of why Hourihane is needed IMO is that we lack a threat in the box. Hourihane is taking up positions to score goals. I’ll give you what Wesley might do well, drag others out of position for someone like Hourihane.

I don’t know if we’re using him right but I’d agree with V57 it’s the same argument for Hogan. It’s an identical problem. In games where we’re up against it the ball just comes back and we’ve no room to breath.

Not much to say really . Expectedly we were beaten. Sounds like we did ok first half , BUT , games aren't played over 45 mins.
Let's get the bin dippers game over with then focus on two massive games - Dingles / barcodes

I suspect that if we'd had a better centre forward then DS would have set us up slightly differently today. Think with Wesley the coaching isn't working. He's probably the one signing who isn't on the up, at least not by much. It's no use saying that we're not playing to his strengths; the problem is that his strengths at the moment are too limited.

My guess is that DS doesn't want to put too much pressure on Davis, yet. But Davis isn't going to improve his scoring sitting on the bench. Think he's going to have to choose between giving Davis a run, or bringing back Kodjia. It'll be interesting to see who plays on Wednesday.

Looking at the fixtures coming up, I expect us to be in no worse a position come the end of November and probably slightly better. December is massive, a tough start and an easy end. Again, I expect us to come out of the month in a better place than the start.

It’s not the same scenario as Hogan as he didn’t score 4 goals in his first ten matches and he hadn’t come from a different country and league. That’s why I’m not writing Wesley off, it’s a massive step for him and most players look a lot better on the bench. I do agree Davis deserves his chance though, it’ll be up to him to keep Wesley out and up to Wesley to grab his next chance.

I'm still more annoyed at the VAR call. We're far from perfect, we're far from being shit....we've shown general slow improvement and it's not even November yet. We'll get better, but we'll have nightmare games as well. The squad that got promoted would not have avoided relegation. We have a squad that should, and bottom line, this season that is the only aim as people bed in and adjust. Whether it's by goal difference or a point....it wasn't even 18 months ago the club genuinely could've gone out of business. That's the perspective. Losing to Man City, Spurs, Arsenal etc, not having more shots, not having more possession is fucking irrelevant. But that's not to say it remains irrelevant for other sides in the division. We have to know our place. Brighton was an awful performance but we won - against a side we'd have hoped to beat. That's our battle, even if it's not pretty.

It’s not the same scenario as Hogan as he didn’t score 4 goals in his first ten matches and he hadn’t come from a different country and league. That’s why I’m not writing Wesley off, it’s a massive step for him and most players look a lot better on the bench. I do agree Davis deserves his chance though, it’ll be up to him to keep Wesley out and up to Wesley to grab his next chance.

I've written him off I'm afraid, I see a lazy moody big lump who I couldn't honestly tell you a single good point about him, even his attitude looks bad.
Nobody has actually told me what they see in him yet? What's he good at I mean?
I hope Davis gets a ten-game run without questiond being asked.

I've written him off I'm afraid, I see a lazy moody big lump who I couldn't honestly tell you a single good point about him, even his attitude looks bad.
Nobody has actually told me what they see in him yet? What's he good at I mean?
I hope Davis gets a ten-game run without questiond being asked.

Erm, he's young, foreign and learning?
And luck or not, he's got 4 in 10?

I am inclined to agree with you though. He just does very little, for me.