Ivan Toney | Vital Football

Ivan Toney

The lad is on fire another we could have for next to nothing and let go

Will Grigg was on fire in League One for us twice, but never cut it in the Championship. Could say the same about Jacobs, Byrne and several others.

I think Toney would be the same story. Too good for L1, not good enough for Championship. There's a huge gulf between the two leagues.

Cook is also living proof of the gulf in class... Fantastic manager in L1, but consistently outwitted by almost every other manager at Championship level.

The Ivan Toney playing for Peterborough now looks like a different player than the one we had. Whether it's man management, system or tactics he's playing in or something else making the difference now he showed absolutely nothing here for us to think he'd come good. I think Peterborough paid 700k for him and if we'd have paid that at the time everyone would've thought we were made as he couldn't win a header or hit a barn door by the time he went back.

He looked good either side of his spell with us but for whatever reason he couldn't do it here - it's unfortunate and very frustrating but it happens in football all the time.

Look at the likes of Grigg 4m and he's been diabolical for Sunderland in L1 but was 20+ a season for us at that level, or Dan Burn was poor at Fulham and released on free but did well enough for us to get a 5.5m move to the Prem where he is playing regularly now. Or even further back the difference in Ellington for us and after he left was night and day. I don't think Toney would be where he is now if he stayed here.

Toney always looked a handful because of his size and power, he was very good in the air and had a bit of pace. I think he lacks technical ability though and is very hit and miss. Grigg looked a far better finisher and had a better first touch, his problem is that he doesn’t have the physical attributes that Toney has. Put the 2 of them together in to 1 player and you’ve got a premier league striker. Unfortunately that isn’t going to happen so they’re both just very good league 1 strikers.

Toney was decent for us but to many fans he was like Massey, Naismith and many others over many years I can't be arsed naming who were constantly, unfairly criticised. A lot of the criticism Toney got was purely because he was keeping a half fit Grigg out at the beginning of the season he was with us.

Toney was decent for us but to many fans he was like Massey, Naismith and many others over many years I can't be arsed naming who were constantly, unfairly criticised. A lot of the criticism Toney got was purely because he was keeping a half fit Grigg out at the beginning of the season he was with us.

Wrong! Grigg was fit and ready to go, it was the useless sod in charge holding a grudge because Grigg questioned his team selections.

Every club he has been at have got rid, he is league one standard, full stop!

That's not true - until Peterborough bought him he had been at Newcastle and loaned out 6 times twice to Barnsley, twice to Scunthorpe, once to Shrewsbury and to us. He did well on the majority of his loan spells, well enough to get taken on loan twice by 2 clubs and Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe both wanted to keep him but Newcastle sent him elsewhere. No one got rid of him except Newcastle to Peterborough.

That's not true - until Peterborough bought him he had been at Newcastle and loaned out 6 times twice to Barnsley, twice to Scunthorpe, once to Shrewsbury and to us. He did well on the majority of his loan spells, well enough to get taken on loan twice by 2 clubs and Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe both wanted to keep him but Newcastle sent him elsewhere. No one got rid of him except Newcastle to Peterborough.
And every one of those were league one or below!Enough said!!

He’s better than that so called good one we spent all summer chasing Who as never even looked like scoring

No your changing the goal posts you said every club got rid of him, they clearly didn't.

Also just because he's not played above L1 before doesn't mean he isn't going to ever go higher. Charlton offered something like 4m for him on deadline day - he'll definitely be a Championship player next season via promotion or someone buying him if he keeps up his 1 goal ever 2 game strike rate he's had since he left us. He's come a long way and I think he could do well when he eventually takes the step up.

Sorry Exiled not trying to stick my nose in here, it's just I followed your conversation with KDZ and my own understanding is that, his reply to you was more a response to your initial point about Toney being rejected by most of his other clubs, rather than a response to your second point regarding whether he is League 1 standard or not. May have misinterpreted that though.

No your changing the goal posts you said every club got rid of him, they clearly didn't.

Also just because he's not played above L1 before doesn't mean he isn't going to ever go higher. Charlton offered something like 4m for him on deadline day - he'll definitely be a Championship player next season via promotion or someone buying him if he keeps up his 1 goal ever 2 game strike rate he's had since he left us. He's come a long way and I think he could do well when he eventually takes the step up.
It is all about opinions,you have yours,i have mine.To me he is a league one player and will never be good enough to play higher.You think otherwise so thats fair enough!

It is all about opinions,you have yours,i have mine.To me he is a league one player and will never be good enough to play higher.You think otherwise so thats fair enough!

Not disputing your opinion on him stepping up, disputing what you said about every club getting rid of him is untrue.

James Vardy was once an L1 player - where you are today doesn't dictate your future. Strikers with 1 in 2 strike rates in L1 don't stay in that level very long.

Not disputing your opinion on him stepping up, disputing what you said about every club getting rid of him is untrue.

James Vardy was once an L1 player - where you are today doesn't dictate your future. Strikers with 1 in 2 strike rates in L1 don't stay in that level very long.

I don't know why you bother bro, he makes it up as he goes along. :idea: