Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights

I think there is if DS gets the balance right. Let's not be too downhearted, West Ham are expected to get into Europe and they were not any better than us. Was their 45 million pound striker any better than our 20million pound one?

West Ham were what I thought they would be, a mid table team.

More points dropped to me, we need to beat the likes of them at home.

I think there is if DS gets the balance right. Let's not be too downhearted, West Ham are expected to get into Europe and they were not any better than us. Was their 45 million pound striker any better than our 20million pound one?

Their £45m striker didn’t have a chance all game, credit to the CBs. Whereas Wes missed sitters - Ian Olney would have got a hat trick tonight from our chances

West Ham are probably a top ten side under Pellegrini and we competed XI vs XI.

I get the calls for Davis over Wes but it’s much of a muchness at the moment. The issue was the way we played against ten men, footballers just do not have it collectively to figure that out the manager and coaches need to see it and change the style.

Enjoyed it, whatever. Think the result was fair. Heaton didn't really have a save to make. We had chances but didn't make them count. I'd put Hammers at the same level as Everton, well organised but deluded if they're thinking of top 6.

So, we move out of the bottom 3. Again. Think the point is massive though, psychologically. Means we're not drifting away from the pack.

Jack is beginning to annoy me. Holds onto the ball for too long then gifts them the ball.

Pluses. Guilbert looking more like a proper right back, defended well. Defence generally solid; Hammers just couldn't get shots in. I liked Marvelous a lot; seemed to know what he's doing, quick, neat, good at getting the ball back.

This is a good point. West Ham are on paper worth 3 times the value of the Villa players. If you were a West Ham fan, how do you view that game?

I keep hearing we will get better when the team gels.

Well I just don't see any improvement so maybe our gel hasn't set.

I said during the preseason that Wesley isn't an out and out central striker, he's more of a wide left, sometimes wide right player, not necessarily a winger but, more an old inside forward kind of position.
Moussa Dembele has 6 goals in 5 games for Lyon and Mbwana Samatta has 5 goals in 6 games for Genk.
Nakamba had a very decent debut I thought and Guilbert had some outstanding moments.
JG is well off his game so far this season, another two games without improvement and I'd definitely be giving Hourihane or Lansbury two or three games.
We are going to struggle until January I think and then we'll have to overpay for a proper central striker.

On the way back and very frustrated and annoyed. Played some good football but my god our decision making in the final 3rd was appalling all game.

We matched them but with them having 10 men for so long we should have won it. Disappointed but still there's hope for this season.

Still, only 4 points outside the top four....
As of now, I'm reasonably content with our defence - Manchester City have conceded as many goals. But where we are really struggling is in "goals for". If we could somehow sort that out, we'd be fine.

Frustrating game. Jack was poor, trying to do too much and giving the ball away.

We seemed to be trying to play on the counter attack at home against 10 men. West Ham sat back and we passed it around in front of them.

I don't think this formation is working for us. Wes on his own isn't working.

Jota is a funny player. He does something brilliant one moment and can't pass the ball 3 yards the next.

Can't say I'm a fan of Doug's new 'do but he played well when he came on.

We are solid at the back but disjointed in attack. We need to get lucky to score a goal. We need to get someone closer to Wesley to give ourselves a chance.

I'm becoming a big fan of Gilbert. He's electric.

Wesley or Maupay? Think we made the wrong choice.
Brentford probably wanted £25m or more from us. We have no idea why that didn't happen. Bournemouth and Brighton appear to be picking players up a lot cheaper than us.

We can't break FFP and yet people want us to buy every player who was linked. It was never going to happen for a multitude of reasons unknown to us.