Executive Boxes in Co-op Stand | Vital Football

Executive Boxes in Co-op Stand

57harry

Vital 1st Team Regular
In view of the recent reports that suggest we could be staying at SB for some considerable time at least,some consideration needs to be given to increase the executive box capacity. One way of doing this would be to construct exec boxes at the back of the Co-op.This would result in a huge increase in commercial income although the Co-op capacity would be reduced.Obviously the construction practicality/viability would need examining. This to me, seems a more viable proposal that building new stands,or extending the Selenity Stand.

From a construction point of view it would be extremely difficult (given nothing is impossible if one throws enough money at it - the exception to the rule being the American SST).

The stand does not have the services or infrastructure to support 'boxes' or even the routes or space. Putting the economics to one side, and based purely on the construction challenges I'd say its an option not worth exploring.

There's nothing much we can do that is cost-effective at SB to significantly increase capacity. I think we all just have to accept that fact.

Clearly that would be an issue-they would have to be offered seats elsewhere in the Co-op.
I was very happy standing in the Stacey West, I've grown to be very happy sitting 1 row from the back of the Co-op. Thanks.

Like many others I remember when we had difficulties in filling our current exec boxes. Let’s not kid ourselves those days may be revisited at some point. Like everything else football comes in cycles.

In view of the recent reports that suggest we could be staying at SB for some considerable time at least,some consideration needs to be given to increase the executive box capacity. One way of doing this would be to construct exec boxes at the back of the Co-op.This would result in a huge increase in commercial income although the Co-op capacity would be reduced.Obviously the construction practicality/viability would need examining. This to me, seems a more viable proposal that building new stands,or extending the Selenity Stand.

Get Liam on the case once those dugouts have been lowered.
Yes corporate needs sorting and upgrading,commercial income is critical.
plenty of room for corporate boxes in the large gap between the Selenity and the Stacey West.
Keep the ideas coming!

yeah let's ignore then fans and run for the money

I vote no. That would take out my seats ;)

Best thing to do is start building a new stadium now. Fast track the approvals get the council to find it (they invest in property) and or would be ready for our maiden season in the championship 21/22 season

No pissing around - 20k seats with scope to add more should we get bought out by a billionaire who fancies champions league football

Those architects etc amongst us will know this, but why do we see suggestions of millions for a new double-sized Stacey West for example?

It's surely far far simpler than a row of four houses that might cost a couple of hundred thousand ??

Non league clubs with far less resources build new stands all the time.
Boston are building a new stadium right now.
If far smaller clubs can afford it (and presumably think its financially beneficial to do it) why do we seem so unable to progress with anything?

And I know there will be "you can't cut down the playing budget" and totally agree with that. Absolutely crucial that playing budget is maximised in every way possible.
But those of us who have been able to buy homes, don't pay upfront for it, but over a very long period. And in doing so, we have more money available each month as mortgages are normally lower than rents.
(A sorry situation btw).

So any new structures - pay for them over 25 years or whatever is possible. And have the resultant extra match income well in excess of the mortgage/loan payments. And hence playing budget gets a boost, and better players helps fill the new stand.

There's doubtless many holes in that simple theory but there must be times when that kind of process works or else we'd never see new stands or new stadia anywhere.

Those architects etc amongst us will know this, but why do we see suggestions of millions for a new double-sized Stacey West for example?

It's surely far far simpler than a row of four houses that might cost a couple of hundred thousand ??

Non league clubs with far less resources build new stands all the time.
Boston are building a new stadium right now.

Boston's new ground is hardly a fast track project, the below ground and groundworks were done years ago and left dormant. A further bit of perspective it's going to cost them an estimated £12m and the last I heard the capacity was around the four and half thousand mark (less than the Coop stand at SB).

Stands can be built relatively cheaply, but it is when you start putting 'boxes' and all the other extras in them the cost rises almost exponentially.

Last edited:
The linpave stand heavily subsidised was a bargain unfortunately football league level facilities are expensive.

It would probably be cheaper to knock it down and rebuild then attempt to engineer a modified stand.

Ok it would be relatively simple job as the ground conditions are known access is good and the site would be level and a decent size. When you cover all the professional fees, the labour and materials etc it would be in the millions. Anything with aesthetic qualities and facilities beyond a basic toilet block etc and it will be expensive.

I don’t have the norms but there will be a metrics online. Quick research (very old data so would need to be indexed) looks like anything from £1k to £3k per seat. I think that is a new stadium which would mean a new 20k stadium would be anything from £20m to £60m (needs to be adjusted for inflation)

I would assume that replacing a stand would be considering less as you would not have the same level of cost as new stadium but even at £500 per seat you would need to find £2m to build a 4K stand.

Food for thought